Notices

Methadone Question

Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone Question

My son was addicted to heroin for years. After being in jail for six weeks he came to live with us. He has been clean for two years, has a job and was doing good. A couple of weeks ago he relapsed and was taking illegal opiate painkillers. We found out because he stole money from us. He has a severe pain problem in his back and neck and no health insurance.

He found a methadone clinic nearby and went. He is now on methadone. He goes each day to get his dose and they have a counselor there also.

He says he doesn't want to get high he just needs releif from his pain. If he is on this for life is this the same as being a drug addict.

They say he could be on for life and its OK. Im very confused.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Methadone is used for pain and not just to get addicts off heroin (or other opiates).

I would totally follow the doctors' advice on this.

If he is on methadone "for life," he will be a chronic opiate user. He may well be a "drug addict" anyway, if he can't control himself and goes to the street for his drugs.

This may well get him to the place where other things can be tried for his pain while he is not in active "addictive behavior." Hopefully those other things can be non-narcotic. You don't say how old he is, but time and maturity CAN sometimes get people past the impulsiveness of youth.

I wish you and your son the best. Try to trust the doctors on this. As long as he does, too, this is your best course.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pommie-

I was an opiate addict for many years. When I quit cold turkey in 2007 I did it at home with a (somewhat) supportive boyfriend. I relapsed in 2008 when my best friend died of breast cancer. I thought I could take a few morphine every few days...

I slowly crept up to a huge habit again, I was still with the same guy but when I cleaned up I realized that he was a raging alcoholic and that things weren't going as well as I had thought in my drug haze. In 2011 after 9 years together he cheated on me and I left him. I had nothing but a few pieces of furniture and our cat (who was like our baby). When he cheated I had no idea, it floored me and all of our friends. I lost weight rapidly and was 90 lbs when I went into detox in 2012 for cocaine use, pills, alcohol-you name it. The thing is, I had started methadone in early 2012 to stop the opiate problem.

The methadone solved the problem! It was so incredible to wake up and NOT panic about how/where/how many pills i could get that day. It allowed me to try and have a 'normal' life. It is helpful for so many people that I have a hard time being negative about it however; an addict is an addict and if you are allowed by your dr. you can end up at an extremely large dose and on it for life.

Your son has pain so yeah, I can see them saying that. I wouldn't resign to that though. There are many ways to manage pain without opiates or methadone if you have the info and the will. I am on my 8th day of Suboxone because of a bad interaction with my antidepressant and methadone that landed me in hospital.

Sorry to babble on and on, but everyone, especially my current partner, says how much better I look without the methadone, more youthful (though i am only 36 haha), clear skin and eyes. Just hope your son is careful about staying on just low enough a dose to keep him from craving and out of pain. I ended up on 240 mls which is a HUGE dose as I am only 5'2 and 125lbs. I would also buy more on the side convincing myself it was my tolerance level.

I would still be doing the same thing if I didn't almost die, and to be honest I miss methadone. It does have benefits but it also takes alot out of you.

I hope your son is doing better and it could be the answer for him. Just be aware... if DRs can make money off of you of course they will encourage lifelong use. In all honesty methadone is a band aid treatment. I hope that helps a little bit.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right now I don't see an alternative as he doesn't have insurance and makes just enough not to qualify for medicaid.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, if that is his only alternative then it is what it is at this point. On methadone it will be up to him to get his house in order. If he doesn't choose to do so then the methadone won't save him. However, if he does want to turn things around it could very well be exactly what he needs. Folks can stay on methadone for a long, long time and still lead meaningful lives.

If he does turn things around he could still get off the methadone at a later date. It's not like he has to sign a contract saying that he is going to get it forced on him for the rest of his life.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pommie - my son is using methadone to stop his use of heroin. it stops cravings. eventually he will start a taper and gradually lower the dosage. I was opposed to methadone at first, but it is his choice and like he has told me several times, the methadone gives him and me some breathing room - him not using.
best to you -
b.