Notices

home detoxing from Oxy's please help

Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

home detoxing from Oxy's please help

I know this is not a place to ask for medical advise, but my husbund has decided to quit cold turkey and has asked for my help. Mainly my helpin being here for him, monitering him and offering him food and liquids.

My question is, if there are others that has quit cold turkey, what should he do to be most comfortable during the withdrawls? I have phenergan for nausea, offering him to take hot baths during spasm and to help with the muscle aches etc. Giving him rub downs when he feels like he can't take it no more. I don't know what he can do about the stomach pain or what he says is his gut feels like he is dieing. He is freezing and burning up minute to minute, he has been direah on and off.

Before anyone ask or refers me to a doc, there is no place in our small community to help or cares to help unless you are in trouble and court ordered. There is a place he went to years ago for detoxing but we had insurance then and we no longer have that. He does get unemployment so he does have an income, just not much.

I have tried to get him to go the hospital but he seems to think they will not help and I am skeptical myself as not sure how they would handle him coming there because he is withdrawing. Then again I worry if he doesn't can he die laying there sleeping? It is day 2 without the oxys, but yesterday he took several xanax to which today he has none.

He had been trying to taper himself for the past 2 and a half weeks but he has found he can not taper off, as he ends up giving in and taking his usual dose then back to square one. His usual dose is from what he tells me anywhere from 4/5 30's at a time several times a day to 6/8 80's during the day. He apparently snorts them he has told me.

I am here only to see if there is anything or suggestions of what he can do to help with the his comfort level, or is he just gonna have to "get thru it" and how many days before the pain eases if he sticks it out. I don't plan on trying to make him stick with it, or try to make him do anything, after 26 years of being together the past few years we have basically lived seperate lives in the same household. I am just here trying to see if there is anything he can do outside of going to a detox that i know won't help him without insurance.

Thanks to anyone out there reading and has any suggestions
Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The rules are here for a reason 1 day - I think the best thing for anyone in detox is to see a doctor. If you or your husband get worried, please do take him to your GP or the local hospital

D
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know Dee, I guess i had to try and see what others had to say. Of course no two people are the same and I could see where what one can do, for another may cause problems. We have discussed to definately go the hospital if he gets to the point it is really completely unbearable.

BUT thanks to those that private messaged me, You all were so kind and I believe if he wants this he can get thru it. He seems much better this evening did alot of the suggestions , hot baths, ibuprofen, pepsid, phenergen, and of course trying to be supportive and tell him he is worth saving. As he feels like crap for the things he has been or did do for the drugs. I am not an addict but do see where this stuff can take someone mentally. I hope he finds it within himself to be saved as i can only pep talk so much.

Anyway, thanks for anyone out there listening.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fluids, any food he can keep down, and more fluids.

The worst is almost over.
I've never heard of opiate withdrawal having any lasting physiological effects.

But yeah, it made me wish for death.

My worst kick lasted 4 nights.
Hang in there
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I am 911

Well, I'm currently on day 9 of my detox, from my 1st relapse. I know both times around, drawing up a bath just as HOT and I mean HOT as you can stand it helps me. I almost scream out in pain because the water is so hot, but about 10 seconds later a wave of relief hits me. I normally stay in there for a good 10 minutes, give or take. And it helps relieve some of the pain in my legs and all over body ache and fatigue for about an hour or two. Just to tell you how bad my fatigue was, I'm a smoker, about a pack and a half a day, and for the first 3 days of detox I felt so horrid I didn't even want to get up out of whatever surface I was laying on to have a smoke.

Iceyhot on the legs, because the legs are what kills me the worst during withdrawls. And I know its extremely hard, or it was for me at least, but you've got to try and eat and keep fluids in yourself. For the first 3-4 days of my detox this time around, the most I ate was a few saltine crackers and I drank ginger ale for fluids. I was hardly able to tolerate food, and even now 9 days into this, I'm still not able to tolerate much. I ate my first real food today, fixing myself a bowl of oatmeal and half an apple. I was able to keep it down, and I do feel better getting some food in my syste. I never was a huge water drinker, and it seemed that any solid food and water just made me want to chunk it back up before I even had a chance to swallow for days.

But I can tell you first hand because it happened to me, becoming dehydrated and malnurtioned during detox is just gunna make things worse.

Also, when you're using, you're sleeping habbits and eating habbits are almost 100% of the time FUBAR. So taking a multi-vitamin suppliment helped me. Its not a substitue for real food, but it will help to restore homeostasis in the body over a period of time. I also took Immodium for the diahrea, it helped tremediously. You can sure tell when it kicks in and wears off, thats for sure.

The only other thing I know that helped me was during my first time detoxing, when I was able I went outside and tried to break a sweat. I know if you tell someone this on day 2 or 3 of detox they'll think your crazy. But once you're a few days into it and you feel like you can get up and do something, I'd suggest that. However I live on the eastcoast, and it's not so easy to do that during winter when its 15 degrees outside. If you're lucky enough to live somewhere in the south or out west where its warm most of the winter, count you're graces, because the cold will just make crap 100x worse, again, for me it did. Time seems like it's almost moving backwards, not forwards, and doing anything to try and take your mind off the passing of time and the withdrawls will help.

Other than that, I'd at least contact a doctor about the meds. Not giving medical advice but mixing a bunch of sedatives together isn't something to be doing without a doc's orders or supervision. I'm not lucky enough to have insurance or a Primary care provider, but if you do, I'd at least call A doctor and try to get some kind of help. Maybe outside of the area your in. That way you're not labled a "trouble patient" drug seeker, or anything else in the local area hospitals you're around. It's sad but once you're labled, it doesn't go away. You're always looked at sideways from the doctors.

I just wish you're husband the best of luck. Let him know he's not alone, and there are many others going through what he is. I wish him the best of luck with recovery. Just let him know he can do it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is now day 4, just stopping in to let you know how he is doing. He was able to eat a little and keep it down today, felt like walking around the house.
Stonewall, I let my husband read what you replied, he said thank you and started crying as he read realizing what you too must have/going thru. He asked me to personally thank you for your reply as he isn’t really familiar with the computer and such . So Thank you for your concern and what you took the time to write. We didn’t think about immodium for the back door issues that seem to come and go, off to the store when I get off here . But everything else he is trying/working thru.
Basiam, thank you too for your reply. Yes my husband agreed, he was wishing for death over the pain he was feeling last night. He wanted me to thank you to for the support.
Will check in a few days to tell how it goes. Today he seems really strong mentally, but I know the road he faces ahead. I just hope he is strong as his life has passed him by. I have been with him since he was 12 abd I 13, so I have watched him grow up and fall down this awful spiral of what I have seen to be nothing but painful for him. He was for years a functioning addict, but he is getting too old for this kinda thing. Just wish him luck and keep us in your prayers.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I worked as a nurse in inpatient drug rehab. We would detox with librium for three days, then wean them off. Also, we gave phenergen and catapress.

My DD on her fist detox without rehab found a dr. that was on call for her regular primary dr. this dr. was very good in calling in prescriptions of phenergen and catapress for her. That was to hold her until she got into rehab.

Detoxing from opiates is not fatal, but extremely uncomfortable. I feel for you and your husband. It is hard for us our loved ones go through such agony. I see where you have no insurance. There are many counties that will assist with those that do not have the income for rehab and no insurance. You can check with your local behavioral health.(drug and alcohol for the county)

You can detox on your own, but very few people succeed at it. I would strongly recommend that he have an evaluation by your county drug and alcohol. call the state hotline and they may be able to refer. There are some places that would allow for detox only, then with a follow-up of intensive outpatient treatment.

I am sorry that I can't help you with any home detox methods. Other than tapering down the drug. It is hard to do without medical intervention. I know that it has been done, but it takes a very strong constitution. I do wish your husband the best.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you jl5784 .

It is now Day 7, seems he is past the worst physically. He states he doesn't even have cravings or the want to take anything at all.

I am guessing it is because he is done, you know sick and tired of being sick and tired . It has been a 10 year battle for him, so we shall see what the future holds. He had successfully detoxed twice before but that was in a treatment center both times. He said doing it at home and really wanting it apposed to the detox center and feeling forced thru the fam makes him feel differently this time. He said he couldn't take enough to feel good anymore. He was sick everyday and felt like for the past 6 months he was going thru withdrawls on a daily basis anyway as he couldnt take enough. He states he couldnt even get high anymore, he just kept taking them to keep from getting sick.

From this experience and what he went thru, he first tapered down from approx 20-30mg oxycodone a day to just 5 total a day in a 2 week span then detoxed at home. The things he did was take lots of hot baths/showers and I kept him liquids in the form of Popsicles, juice, water, jello at arms length . He had a heating pad, and I had phenergan, ibuprophen/aleves for some of his pain. He said nothing seemed to help, but all made a difference if that makes sence. He also took immodium for the diarea and pepto that he says seemed to help with the pain in his stomach. By day 4 he said the disorientation feelings were going away, and today at day 7 he still feels a bit disoriented but he feels a thousand times better than when he started.

Welcome 2010 , its starting out a new year, and hopefully a new life . Happy New years to everyone .
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Good luck to you and your husband. Opiate withdrawal is the worst. I'm 8 days clean off a 6 month oxycontin relapse, so i know the drill. The good news is that he never has to use again....
Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok first off sounds like hes doing a lot better than the beggining. Also i started detoxing the same day as your husband, not only that, I was shooting 20/30 sometimes even 40 a day. I just stopped cold turkey and it was beyond unbearable. Every second I wanted nothing more than to give in and just get the temporary relief the pills give you, but when tomorrow comes back in same spot. I was taking the 30mg's same as your husband. I have been looking for days for someone who I can relate to and I don't know anyone I could anymore than him.

I'm only 18 years old, I started when i was 17, and i was snorting them then. But a few months ago it was doing it for me so I went to the extreme. I damaged not only my life beyond repair, but also many many of my closest friends and my dad. Me, who I really am would never do that, but the addict side of me was so evil. I took 4/5 at a time as well, and sometimes I had 40 mg's and 80's too, but it was generally just 30's.

I am very happy to say I fell 100x better than a week ago, and everyday is a huge struggle, but my friends are helping me everyday and without them I would be done.

Hopefully we can keep in contact to see how we are doing because it looks almost identical of me and your husbands situation. Best of luck, IT WILL GET BETTER!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Good luck guys. You can do it. You never have to use that **** again!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you. I've been reading the forums all day and it is helping me a lot! I'm on day 3 and it seems to be easing a bit. I pray that tomorrow is even better. Good luck to all of you!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

keep it going hyden. day 11 free of opiates, alcohol, well drugs...for me!

It gets better.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not to rain on anyones parade but beating the physical withdrawls is only the begining. Sooner or later the cravings will come and if you dont have a support system in place you'll end up failing. All I can say is NA saved my life and provided me the support I needed to fight the cravings.
Lastly for those of you on sub I would say that while sub made it easier for me in the begining it made my life a living hell trying to get off of it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are countless stories of people who tapered off suboxone with little or no discomfort. Those who have trouble are usually attempting to push their taper too fast or are simply not ready. As the last person mentioned, taking the medication only controls physical symptoms, the real work of recovery entails changing the way we operate through working the steps and developing a support system.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didnt need therapybor a support group but thats just me. My support grouo was my memory of methadone wd and guilt of losing 5 years of my twenties, but i guess is only been a year. Who knows mAybe i fail to stay clean without na. I hope not. I thinkthe reason is i was mentally over it way before i got through physically
Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

This is NOT medical advice, just my personal experience:
This is what is helping me:
LEGAL Marijuana increase hunger and distorts your perception of time so that the unpleasantness moves right along. Without marijuana I would not be eating anything.

Provigil- stimulant to combat fatigue

Valium - helps restless legs, anxiety, restlessness in general

All DR prescribed

This works for me but may not for others. Consult your doctor.