Notices

suboxone's starting to make me sick

Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was never nauseous on subs, but I did experiencing the nodding off. It was very strange, could fall asleep at my desk. If I kept moving, I was ok. In the beginning I also got headaches. I was started on 16mg, but cut it myself and was quickly (within about 10 days) down to 3mg a day. I'm now trying to taper off within the next 2 weeks. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShellySprinkle View Post
suboxone is the same as subutex, only it has narcan added to it to keep you from abusing it.

Suboxone DOES NOT contain narcan; the difference between suboxone and subutex is that suboxone contains buprenorphine and NALOXONE. There is a big difference in the two. Narcan is an opiate antagonist--it is used in drug overdoses. It works in direct opposition to opiates. Naloxone on the other hand is a partial opiate agonist--it works in similar ways as opiates. If you took narcan, you would be extremely sick. Subutex does not contain naloxone--it is just buprenorphine. Suboxone contains both nalxone and buprenorphine. The big reason people are prescribed suboxone over subutex is because with suboxone, there is less chance of injecting it--if injected you will go through precipitated withdrawals.

As for the "taking when you need them" and "only when in withdrawal" that is not a good way. They are meant to be taken everyday. They do stop withdrawals if you are WD, but they are not meant to stopped and started. It in a way safeguards you against using--you cannot get high while on subs. You can try, but it doesn't work when you're actively taking them. Subs should be taken on a daily basis until you've made the decision to stop using them and then at that point you TAPER your dose--don't just go cold turkey or you'll be in withdrawals. Whoever your prescriber for the subs is should have been more direct with you and informative--doesn't sound like he did a good job of informing you on how to take them.

Hope you're doing well!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sunflower:

Read and learn, my friend ...

Naloxone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Narcan = Naloxone = the second component of suboxone = a full opioid antagonist = the same drug they INJECT you with when you OD

The naloxone only makes you sick if you inject the suboxone, it's basically not bio-available either through the membranes of your mouth, nor your stomach, thus it only becomes a factor if you shoot the suboxone. Although the wiki article states that sublingual use of naloxone DOES actually have some effect on the G.I. tract, as well as some potential side effects, for the large majority of people, suboxone and subutex work exactly the same for them.

Naloxone is strictly part of the suboxone mixture as a deterrent to abuse, as you correctly identified. Some say it doesn't even work in this capacity, due to bupe's higher binding affinity to the receptors vs. the naloxone, but I know this at least is the idea, 'on paper' so to speak. Never really even used suboxone myself, and never shot up anything ever ... so I can't speak to this matter from experience.

Buprenorphine is the partial opioid agonist in this equation, and is basically the only active ingredient in subutex or suboxone when used as directed.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yea sunflower you just made yourself look pretty stupid... like a kid on the short bus.

as for Suboxone... you can shoot it... I have and 1/10 of a pill is all you need... just make sure you are in heavy withdrawal before using. it stays in your system for ever too... not a good drug for abuse imho.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheron1986 View Post
Yea sunflower you just made yourself look pretty stupid... like a kid on the short bus.

as for Suboxone... you can shoot it... I have and 1/10 of a pill is all you need... just make sure you are in heavy withdrawal before using. it stays in your system for ever too... not a good drug for abuse imho.
Are you kidding me right now? You're gonna dig up an old thread like this one, just to talk down to a fellow SR member like that? And then bring up the 'fact' that people can just go ahead and shoot up subs? Seriously, dude, W - T - F?

Sunflower has actually gone out of her way to personally ask me to straighten out anything that she says on these boards that is incorrect, so that is why I felt okay about saying what I said to her ... just so you know ...

You, on the other hand, are just being a d*ck right here. I think you owe Sunflower an apology, personally.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheron1986 View Post
Nah.... the quote wasn't worth the space Acheron. You need to get a life, my friend. How posting on your own thread????
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Unhappy I also have a question

I have been taking subs since aug 2011 I can go 2 days without taking anything but then I start to have a headache is that a wd symptom? I want to be done with them already! I can't take more than a quarter without getting sick maybe someone well have advice for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Socon this is an old thread you might want to check the sub forum theres not alot of action there but someone can give their ESH. Talk to your Dr. he/she can help also
Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Re Suboxone use

Originally Posted by ShellySprinkle View Post
i've been feeling alright since i started my suboxone yesterday. but i just had to call out of work because i'm starting to feel sick.

i feel tired, and nauseous. i feel like i'm trashed. is this normal?? i really don't like feeling this way. i have to take another dose in a few hours. is there anything i can do to feel better?
Good morning
I used suboxone to get off the vicodins. I no longer take the two. But i remember when i started using subs, and i did feel sick at first. It will go away, what I must say is be very careful with the subs bc you will just get hooked on them. I believe they should b used for a short period of time, then ur doc should get u off of them. The withdrawals from subs are far worse than vicodin, believe been there with both. But if used for about 6 weeks then tapered to .25 which is nothing, you will b okay.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sick from Suboxone

I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's the Suboxone or w/d making me sick. I was taking 15-20mg of hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. I decided to quit taking these things and on Friday (2/8) my doctor began my detox plan. He put me on 50mcg Fentanyl patch. Monday I took that one off and put on a 25mcg patch. Yesterday (2/13) I was told to take that patch off and he gave me 2mg suboxone film in the office. I felt a little work and tired when I left his office but still ok. I picked up my prescription which has me taking 8mg 3 times a day.

After my second dose yesterday I felt tired, my head started to hurt,and I was kind of numb. The third dose last night was when it got bad. My head started pounding, I was numb, nauseous, and vomiting. I didn't sleep all that well. I still felt a little sick when I woke up this morning and really didn't want to take it again but was more scared of the w/d so I took it. So far I have had two 8mg doses today and have a raging headache and I'm vomiting/nauseous to the point where I can't eat anything. I called my doctor and all he did was call in phenergan to help with the nausea but said don't stop taking the Suboxone.

Does anyone know if this sounds like w/d or just a bad reaction to Suboxone? I can't take feeling like this anymore and I'm terrified to take my next dose.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sick from Suboxone

I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's the Suboxone or w/d making me sick. I was taking 15-20mg of hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. I decided to quit taking these things and on Friday (2/8) my doctor began my detox plan. He put me on 50mcg Fentanyl patch. Monday I took that one off and put on a 25mcg patch. Yesterday (2/13) I was told to take that patch off and he gave me 2mg suboxone film in the office. I felt a little work and tired when I left his office but still ok. I picked up my prescription which has me taking 8mg 3 times a day.

After my second dose yesterday I felt tired, my head started to hurt,and I was kind of numb. The third dose last night was when it got bad. My head started pounding, I was numb, nauseous, and vomiting. I didn't sleep all that well. I still felt a little sick when I woke up this morning and really didn't want to take it again but was more scared of the w/d so I took it. So far I have had two 8mg doses today and have a raging headache and I'm vomiting/nauseous to the point where I can't eat anything. I called my doctor and all he did was call in phenergan to help with the nausea but said don't stop taking the Suboxone.

Does anyone know if this sounds like w/d or just a bad reaction to Suboxone? I can't take feeling like this anymore and I'm terrified to take my next dose.