Notices

Psychic Change .

Old 05-07-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Yes Mike it has turned out to be a good thread and helpful to me and hopefully helpful to some others . my experience of three separate issues

Psychic change could be spiritual experience or penny dropping as I see it . my experience

Spiritual experiences can be realizations , moments of clarity , small effect , large effect or tremendous effect on individual, it is all growth /progress/ change and in some way rewards for putting in the work and results, become apparent , my experience .

Spiritual Awakening to me is a result of applying the first 10 Steps with special attention to the 3rd , or the culmination of many spiritual experiences ? , but the awakening in my experience only came about by ''constant 24/7 '' conscious contact with God and the non stop practice on my part led to the awakening .

7th Step prayer asking for removal of shortcomings ( as I see it bears fruit or comes to be after the 11th step awakening ) bearing in mind ''spiritual imperfection '' which to me is why the 10th step is only one of the maintenance steps . this to me is uncomplicated and simple as I see it ''at present '' .

In Glasgow Scotland in AA and I do not mean in any derogatory fashion , but I do not run into many that have had an awakening in the fashion of my own personal experience , was looking for identification , this is why I say it is a good thread (for me personally ) .

Briefly I know about the Book and its contents and what I believe it describes , but ''it did not'' provide me with a satisfactory explanation or some evidence/proof to me personally with whatever I was looking for /or verification

I googled Spiritual Awakening , and there was loads of various info and symptoms to consider , afterwards I was quite satisfied in what I had discovered as it was an ''overwhelming event '' if you can understand the effect it had on me ,

I am extremely settled today in every area of my life thanks to the wonderful AA program which for 33 years I was extremely guilty of contempt prior to investigation , and thanks to my best pal God as I understand him who goes every where with me , sometimes I honestly cant believe what happened and as they say feel like pinching myself .

AA Big Book puts it beautifully '' beyond my wildest dreams '' and I fully realize that if I continue with the same practice in the same way it will continue to improve and more will be revealed .

To think it all started with an ''honest desire '' . penny dropping Step 3

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Great post, Stevie and thank you for this thread. :-)

For me, spiritual experiences were either my light bulb moments where I saw things differently ("from an entirely different angle"), or where I felt a connection with God.

Spiritual awakening as I was taught is simply that we crushed our ego (a.k. lower self, or our alcoholic mind) with the step work/God consciousness to allow our spirit, the God inside of us, to awaken and become unblocked.

I learned in the step 4 turnarounds how my ego (selfish, self-centered, dishonest, frightened) was what was blocking me from God.

Once I had a spiritual awakening, and my problem (alcoholism/addiction) was removed, I found it a lot easier to run on God's will vs Self will run riot. Step 10, 11, and 12 keep my ego/self-will in check.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Least cultivate gratitude as its hard to be miserable and grateful at the same time , I was an ungrateful son of a *******.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

oops
Old 05-07-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Gratitude is the biggest reason my life is going so well now. I focus on the positive, not the negative.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
heres a lil something from the bb few people read. personally ive worn these pages out:

Shakespeare said . . .
In this part of the world you hear this read out fairly often at meetings.
Just heard it last Wednesday.

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Great post!! What page is this from?
The story starts on page 407 of the Fourth Edition;
on page 439 of the Third Edition.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Great post!! What page is this from?
lots of people hear the "and acceptance is the answer to all my problems today" part of the story in the back and miss out on a LOT of wisdom in the rest of the story.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

lots of people hear the "and acceptance is the answer to all my problems today" part of the story in the back and miss out on a LOT of wisdom in the rest of the story.
True there is a lot of wisdom in the story, but it is not popular wisdom among many. If they read the whole thing and got the context of the acceptance part, it might not be so popular.

It does not form part of the program, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it removed in some future edition.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Here I go again and not trying to pick a fight...but I believe what BW experienced in the hospital was drug induced. And from what I've read about the publication of the BB I believe a passage such as "rocketed into the fourth dimension" was a tag line designed to help sales.

Now having said that... I also believe everyone who says they have had a spiritual awaking by following the AA program exactly as outlined in the BB.

On the other hand it's not realistic to expect everyone to have the same spiritual experience in AA or even to interpret BB the same way.

If it works, work it.

It's all good.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
True there is a lot of wisdom in the story, but it is not popular wisdom among many. If they read the whole thing and got the context of the acceptance part, it might not be so popular.

It does not form part of the program, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it removed in some future edition.
think im confused about that last part. can ya explain what ya mean?

personally i read the principles in action,but maybe im reading it wrong.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi Tom Steve , like you I guess I was waiting on Mike explaining his comment ? maybe he hasn't noticed your question , I might well be wrong but as you say , acceptance is read out at lots of meetings and is more widely known , in some meetings in Glasgow they have it typed out and it is often read out at some meetings .

Anyhow maybe Mike was meaning the program consists of the first 164 pages of the Big Book ? dunno just a thought , take care .

Old 05-21-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

could be,stevie.
personally i read the principles in action in it.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

think im confused about that last part. can ya explain what ya mean?

personally i read the principles in action,but maybe im reading it wrong.
Sorry Tomsteve,
I've been travelling a few days and missed your question.

What I am meaning is the program is in the first 164 pages and is never changed. The stories, which I think are introduced as examples of how various members "found God", are changed around with each edition, sometimes getting new titles, sometimes being removed. The story "Acceptance Is The Answer" was originally "Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict".

I met Paul at a convention in New Zealand in 1981. He was the main speaker and his story was hilarious.

In the famous often quoted piece we are reading an individual's experience in living the program, no more or less valid than any of the other stories, or the stories any member might share in a meeting. We can draw inspiration from them all, and hopefully be inspired to work the program in the first 164 pages.