Notices

Supervising active alchy. Advice.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
waking down

Documenting is a good call, and focusing on job performance, not her drinking (unless she shows up smelling like alcohol). I managed to be a responsible employee for many years despite my drinking, but I was also on time and did my job without creating drama. So, yes, focus on performance. If it becomes clear alcohol is a root problem, maybe the company has a process to encourage her to get some help?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If she is being late, manage her lateness. You can also ask her if there are any underlying reasons for her lateness. Her drinking should not be mentioned at all unless SHE brings it up or shows up at work under the influence or smelling of drink in which case your company will have a drugs and alcohol policy you can follow. If not, seek advice from HR. You say there have been previous issues due to her drinking. Have there been documented discussions on the back of these? This is a very sensitive issue and has to be treated as such or this woman may feel victimised and the very last thing you want is a complicated long term sick case and allegations of unfair treatment.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The only thing I said was that she HAS to be on time and to call me and let me know if she is running late so that I can tell them when they call me looking for her.

After speaking with the secretary and finding out it has been chronic I informed my supervisor and that's it so far. He said he would handle it by addressing the complaint with her.

All I care about it for her to show up on time and do her job, that's it.
She may do as she pleases otherwise.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Employees are pretty disposable these days, drinkers the sooner the better. Sounds like your experience has made you sensitive and observant.

I think this old writing gives insightful, principled and balanced advice how others have dealt with drinkers slipping through society's floorboards, taking the company truck with, best practice attitudes if you feel some care about your alcoholic, even if only in light of business interests. I meet many at checkouts and workplaces everywhere 'sober 3 years' '19' 'trying again' 'my dad 9 months'... We are everywhere, many spared years of damage, and many so damaged getting well.

I think cross referencing this read with modern HR legal and insurance policy can help set a realistic and decent compass and put you at full peace with actions that become clear ought be taken.

Though my own workplace hazards were not great, my drinking encroached on all sides, and as my character deteriorated I was simply 'disposed of'. They got some uglier post mortem drunken harangues about how great i was and how they'd be sorry. I still don't think highly of them but do need to let them know now how much their letting me go eventually set me on a better course. We really can't tell we how sick and disturbing we are, for the most part.

I know of another though who got a lawyer and not only a huge settlement but they were even forced by law to let him keep his position, as he convinced the judge all his drinking came from undue stress caused by his employer! So do be careful!

I especially like the part about paying for treatment ourselves. Most of us have no right whatsoever to be draining health care kitties, when the methods described in this book work like a charm for any drinker who sees he's beat and decides to try it.

Even a raving poisoned alcoholic can detect decency where it exists. I suspect we are in fact on a hunt for it, outside of ourselves of course. But replicas provide us a blueprint anyway.

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt10.pdf

And unfair or not, caution when arousing resentment! Sorry to the regular folks who manage well, but this Disney one just warms my heart, for I know only too well where he lives
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1228311/call-centre-worker-snaps-and-trashes-office-where-he-handles-calls-on-childrens-app/