Notices

is the AA religous based

Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Yes, I hope for an update too.

Hi Ken .

It seems to be a regular occurrence on this section for a poster to pose a problem or question , then lots of us chime in with wide ranges of opinions which sometimes others do not agree with ( chuckle ) then we never get a response from original poster , there are many threads that just stopped mid stream , perhaps this will be different , if not, we get benefits from our input , take care .

Regards Stevie.

recovered 12 03 2006
Old 02-13-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

most alcoholics had to be pretty badly mangled ...... I find this to be interpretative , however. It is personal as is the God of my understanding.
Exactly. I know that I have a very low tolerance for pain. I also was able to see the signs on the walls so I tackled my problem with determination. On another hand, some people can sink to the worst bottoms and never quit.
Unfortunately, the sad reality is that for many alcoholics the bottom is 6 feet under.
We might have differences of opinions among ourselves and we might have achieved sobriety in various ways and/or with various outlooks but in the end, we are truly blessed to be sober and to have escaped the prison of addiction.
We also are here on SR and in the physical world trying to extend a helping hand to those alcoholics who still suffer and telling them how we quit and that there is hope and that they can do it too. This is the big picture and the goodness of it for me.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post

Hi Ken .

It seems to be a regular occurrence on this section for a poster to pose a problem or question , then lots of us chime in with wide ranges of opinions which sometimes others do not agree with ( chuckle ) then we never get a response from original poster , there are many threads that just stopped mid stream , perhaps this will be different , if not, we get benefits from our input , take care .

Regards Stevie.

recovered 12 03 2006
Yes but we have to keep in mind (especially when the OP is new) that a lot of people in early sobriety have problem focusing and remembering things. I could see how this thread could be overwhelming to someone who is still detoxing or going through PAWS.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hi Carlotta .

I agree 100% regarding newcomers op , fact is that on the 12 step support forum it is mostly AA members that subscribe but not always , so unfortunately at times different viewpoints and personal preferences come across and its sad that newcomers best interests can be forgotten , maybe newcomers should post on the newcomers forum ? trouble is they when new might not notice that forum ,here's hoping the newcomer stays and remains sober , take care .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .

if a man hears a different drum ? let him march to the drummer he hears
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I can discuss spiritual vs religious until the AA cows come home.
I figure AA is a service or helping others kind of program as much as anything else.That`s one thing Dr Silkworth thought so much of.

we work out our solutions on the spiritual as well as an altruistic plane

We feel, after many years of experience, that we have found nothing which has contributed more to the rehabilitation of these men than the altruistic movement now growing up among them.

a message I try to carry to the new guy is he can get sober,regardless

My Faith,without works is practically useless
those works increase my tiny Faith.

I guess the best thing to do is get in here,get busy and see what happens.There is an AA promise, the consciousness of your belief is sure to come to you.
it came to me
any one doubting?
then come on with us anyway and see what happens

We can only clear the ground a bit. If our testimony helps sweep away prejudice, enables you to think honestly, encourages you to search diligently within yourself, then, if you wish, you can join us on the Broad Highway. With this attitude you cannot fail. the consciousness of your belief is sure to come to you.

big book text from 1st edition,1st printing of alcoholics anonymous
Old 02-14-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I took another look at the Big Book chapter on Working With Others. I've come to the conclusion that when carrying the message as the 12th step states, as a result of working the steps, I share my experience, strength and hope with the newcomer, in other words, I basically tell my story about how I have recovered from the "seemingly hopeless state of mind and body." I'm told that if the newcomer isn't interested in what I have to say that I should move on; that there are others that may be in need of help. At no time do I read that I should argue or debate the existence or non-existence of God, or a higher power. It's not my job to convince the newcomer whether or not AA is a cult or a religious organization. The Big Book further states that John Barleycorn is the convincer. I'm not going to change my own history in the interest of getting one more argumentative drunk to do what he seemingly does not want to do. I believe it's my responsibility to treat a drunk the way God treated me. God could if he would, force me to stop drinking and change my life. Well, He didn't!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

It is worth noting as well - when it comes to "court cases" that:
A] that american courts aren't the final word on anything, and in the rest of the world are the final word on nothing
B] it isn't that surprising that an outside enterprise wouldn't fully grasp the sublime inner workings of 12 step recovery

I also notice that when quoting these cases in previous posts people are often quoting what the lawyers arguing that AA IS religious said, and not what the final ruling of the court said - which is considerably less inflammatory. Just sayin..