Notices

Wow...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Wow...

My mother's favorite TV soap was the Young and the Restless. Watched it religiously since it started in 1973. I am not much of a soap watcher, but when I began working from home, I started watching Y&R just to see what she saw in it. Anyway...I got hooked like her. I would call her right after the show everyday and we would mull over what happened. It was just a fun little routine we had. We did this for years.

When she died, I quit watching the show. I haven't seen it since 2012. And you know that I have been struggling lately with starting to drink again. I know my mom would have been none too happy with my drinking. So, for some reason, today I turned on Y&R. One of the main characters (Nicky) has gone back to drinking (last time I saw her she was sober). They are doing an intervention on her today. Supposedly she has died and is recalling the intervention from heaven.

Coincidence? Is my mom telling me something?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Art... Tomorrow is my mom's death day. She would be none to happy if I went back. How about we both not drink for our mothers?

There are no coincidences.

k
Old 05-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The show just ended. Nicky had her friends and family telling her to quit drinking if not for herself, then do it for them. She felt angry and persecuted. She told everyone to go to hell and made herself a drink, but she dropped it because she has MS. Anyway... they took her into the hospital and then she ended up in rehab. She wasn't dead or in heaven. She had a moment of clarity at rehab that she needed to stop FOR HERSELF and no one else.

I needed to hear that today... my latest drinking is because of a mindset that I don't have anyone I am accountable to, so what the hell. But I have to do it for myself. If I can.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"To thine ownself be true"

...To thine ownself be accountable.

Seems both are saying the same thing.

DD
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I just wanted to say - I LOVE THIS STORY !!!

Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have to do it for yourself, but of course your mom can be right there at the top of your list as well. ;-)

I know, feel, that my mom is happy when I am sober.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LLL

Awareness

My mom was telling me about the storyline on the Y&R, hate I missed it, but so glad more stories are being seen about alcoholism and addictions and treatment options. My mom said she understood a little more of what I'm going thru, so that a good thing. Happy evening everyone :-)
Old 05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take care of yourself AF - you're worth taking care of

D
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll -

This brings up an interesting concept. The idea of self-love. If one doesn't have a center they can work from or a framework of self love, how can they be expected to not only achieve a healthy lifestyle, but maintain it.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
The show just ended. Nicky had her friends and family telling her to quit drinking if not for herself, then do it for them. She felt angry and persecuted. She told everyone to go to hell and made herself a drink, but she dropped it because she has MS. Anyway... they took her into the hospital and then she ended up in rehab. She wasn't dead or in heaven. She had a moment of clarity at rehab that she needed to stop FOR HERSELF and no one else.

I needed to hear that today... my latest drinking is because of a mindset that I don't have anyone I am accountable to, so what the hell. But I have to do it for myself. If I can.
Omg art friend.......I was just thinking today....I have no one or anything to be accountable for or to. And that I'm going to have to hold myself accountable. I don't know what that looks like. So I am going to be accountable to myself to treat myself w love and kindness.
See that's hows SR. has and is helping me....I'm learning new tricks and coming up w healthy ideas. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hated myself for a long time.
when I got sober I worked on being the person I wanted to be

Whether it was that work, or whether I was a better judge at 40 than I was at 15, one day I found (to my shock) I kinda like who sober me is.

I really hope you'll find the same AF.

D
Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like Dee said Artfriend, you're worth taking care of. You deserve to do this for you.

I truly believe there are no coincidences in life either.

What ever it takes, get yourself better again. You deserve it.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...holds the key