Notices

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself

Hi my name is Terry. I will be 28 years old in like 3 weeks. I live in Wisconsin (we're known for our binge drinking) and I have been an alcoholic/addict for over 10 years now. My biggest addiction has been alcohol which gradually got worse and worse over the years. I've done just about every type of drug there is too. Cocaine and opiates would be my next biggest addictions, but I have stayed away from any hard drugs or even weed for over a year and a half. I been trying to go sober for over 2 years now, and I've gone through horrific alcohol withdrawals to the point to where I should have been in the hospital. Well I ended up in the hospital a number of times because of alcohol, but for other reasons. Anyways I went 8 months sober once, and about another 6 months sober the last time, but I always seem to go back at some point. I recently have drank like 3 times in the past few months I think. My memory hasn't been the best with that. I really don't want to be an alcoholic. The worst thing that I do is lie to my girlfriend every time I do it, even when she knows clear as day when I am drunk. I hate myself when I do it, but it's a terrible disease. The only thing worse than going through withdrawals, is breaking my girlfriend's heart who I love more than anything. I want to spend a happy and sober life with her because I can be happy without it. I really don't think when I drink, and I make terrible decisions just like any alcoholic. I mean I don't drink like a normal person. I drink straight from the bottle(s), and I don't stop until it is gone. I'v gone to a few AA meetings, and plan to go to more. I go to a 1 hour group on addictions every week also. I just wanted to say thanks to whoever reads my story. I appreciate it's because it's nice talking to people who understand and have the same struggles.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Terry - thanks for sharing your story

You'll find a lot of support here - read around and post as much as you like

D
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, TReal. Lots of great support and wisdom to be found on these forums. Please check in often and I look forward to getting to know you!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Terry - we're here to encourage you.

I was the same - when I drank, I was reckless. I did dangerous & out-of-character things. The only way to be safe was to stop all together - and that's what I did. I was way older than 28 though - wish I'd had the sense to stop at your age. Life would have been so different.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome TReal.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Terry!!