Notices

Coming out as a 23-year-old alcoholic

Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Alcoholism has no age limit. I came in at 23 and I am now 25 and happily almost 2 years sober. Welcome to our humble cyber-home :P
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Maureen14, Thanks for sharing however, I would like to say that I just turned 25 in June. I am an alcoholic who has 4 months sober under my belt as of today (22 July 13). I have been drinking for 15 years and age 17 I was, as society would have it "an alcoholic". I got kicked out of programs due to my excessive drinking, outburst of rage, run ins with the law ... even when I was in school, I got kicked out so I could go on "my vacation" ... Its bad enough when detox centers won't even take you because you are a lost cause. I started here at SR because I was barely holding on, my last move almost sent my 6 feet under. I needed to do something, even after all of these years. Than I got connect, my church started a support group, than started going back to AA, and have a great sponsor. Again, you are not alone.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi, I found this post while googling "Coming Out as an Alcoholic" - so I appreciate it is some years old, but, if you're still active on this forum, thank you. As with AA meetings, a lot of strength amongst us is in the honesty we share.
I hope 4 years down the line you've managed to stay sober and are enjoying an amazing sober life!!!
I'm nearly 1 year sober now, and my life is completely different - andI have decided to "come out" as an alcoholic.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wrote a reply to Maureen before noticing how old her post was, so not relevant any more. But well done lifebeganat for being sober for a year. That's great to hear.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is an old thread - I hope the OP is doing well - but I also hope some more young guys and gals read it.

I wish I'd have gotten a grip on my problem in my 20s rather than my 40s.