Notices

Buddhism and the 12 Step Model of Recovery

Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't mind the Lord's Prayer though I see many in meetings who choose to not recite it. Thats easier to see in my Alanon homegroup, we stand in a circle and hold hands. In the AA meeings I attend they don't hold hands but its harder to see. I take it as an opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of what Christian doctrine is getting at, so for me its more a philosophical exercise than a prayer. Its an interesting & subtle prayer that I have an increasing respect for, I think its well worth the various analyses of it I've come across.

In regards to the evangelism, I leave it with the rest. Sometimes people share their experience, strength and hope, sometimes they lecture. Thankfully they have been patient with me so I try to be patient too.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just found this thread and wanted to say thanks . I do not call myself a "Buddhist", though I have been practicing Zazen for a couple of years now.
I consider myself an agnostic, and I used to mock religion, praying, etc. but now it really doesn't bother me. I consider the word "God" merely a label for the ineffable, the mystery of everything. And I think Kierkegaard said something like, "prayer does not change God, it changes the one who offers it."
I also am not comfortable calling alcoholism a disease the way cancer is a disease. But I realize that it is indeed my "dis-ease" with the way the world works that is a major factor in my own drinking
Just adding my 2 cents to the conversation. Have a great day!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Here's an interesting quote from Dr. Bob (co-founder of AA). The guy had an open mindedness to be envied.

"Consider the eight-part program laid down in Buddhism: Right view, right aim, right speech, right action, right living, right effort, right mindedness and right contemplation. The Buddhist philosophy, as exemplified by these eight points, could be literally adopted by AA as a substitute for or addition to the Twelve Steps. Generosity, universal love and welfare of others rather than considerations of self are basic to Buddhism.”
Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi AWUH .
An ''illusion beyond our wildest dreams '' one moment at a time .

Regards Stevie.