Notices

The Humanist 12-Steps

Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The Humanist 12-Steps

These steps were written by the renowned psychologist B. F. Skinner as an alternative to the traditional 12-Steps for nonreligious newcomers. First published in "The Humanist" they state:

1. We accept the fact that all our efforts to stop drinking have failed.

2. We believe that we must turn elsewhere for help.

3. We turn to our fellow men and women, particularly those who have struggled with the same problem.

4. We have made a list of the situations in which we are most likely to drink.

5. We ask our friends to help us avoid those situations.

6. We are ready to accept the help they give us.

7. We honestly hope they will help.

8. We have made a list of the persons we have harmed and to whom we hope to make amends.

9. We shall do all we can to make amends, in any way that will not cause further harm.

10. We will continue to make such lists and revise them as needed.

11. We appreciate what our friends have done and are doing to help us.

12. We, in turn, are ready to help others who may come to us in the same way

Source: Recovery Blues

Last edited by Zencat; 07-24-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I like those steps, particularly steps: 5, 6 and 7.

Step 5 seems real open ended. To avoid drinking situations would include developing healthy coping strategies (with others) for all sorts of stressful situations.

Anywho, I think these steps have been posted before in the other secular forum. I wanted to repost them here and work them individually as a new thread starter titled under "The Humanist 12-Steps" with each step a title unto its self.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Those steps are almost as good as my 12 Steps to good BBQ
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Makes great sense to me.

I wrote something kinda, sorta, almost there, similar. A friend of mine who is buddhist teacher (monk?) asked if she could have it. Good thing I gave it to her...since it is on my last computer and that crashed and died.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
things as it is

Meditation as a suggested practice would be helpful. Perhaps put that back into step 11?

My 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Ya know, if I shared at an AA meeting in these parts that I was using something like this, they would have a field day. I wish it didn't have to be like that.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
things as it is

I like your name doorknob. Remember it is on the inside (the doorknob). I am out in the open about my atheism at meetings. I feel it is important for anyone struggling with the Judeo/Xtian god thingy.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Zendust. Ditto. I live in a town of 1,700 people out on the plains of Eastern WA. There's only one very small AA meeting here and I think I'm better off staying away. Even in the 'larger' communities, there isn't much diversity to be found in the Inland Northwest. The internet is going to have to suffice, atleast for now.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Ya know, if I shared at an AA meeting in these parts that I was using something like this, they would have a field day. I wish it didn't have to be like that.
I lurk in here sometimes but I haven't posted up until now, I do feel moved to share today, It is not my intent to stir the pot.

Sharing about the humanist 12 steps in an AA meeting, would cause an uproar and here is why. It is not AA.

You guys want to do your own thing, that's cool. But where I get rigid is when people want to come into a program and change it. The message is watered down enough these days.

I wish everyone pursuing recovery regardless of their approach success.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Skinner was a Behaviourist not a Humanist, his steps would have involved....

"If I drink I will apply an electric shock to my gonads"

Surely?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with you Rob the message is watered down, but that started years ago, back in the very beginning. What started out as a Christian program morphed into a make up any HP that you desire...even a HP that wouldn't mind a change in the steps. It is not the fault of the newcomer, it is the fault of those who want to claim it is not religious yet want to remain faithful to the original doctrine. You can't have people making up random Gods that they are "comfortable" with and not expect those Gods to be more lenient in it's requirements for divine intervention.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha Ha!!

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Skinner was a Behaviourist not a Humanist, his steps would have involved....

"If I drink I will apply an electric shock to my gonads"

Surely?

That's funny! I like your sense of humour, it is warped like mine.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
things as it is

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
I lurk in here sometimes but I haven't posted up until now, I do feel moved to share today, It is not my intent to stir the pot.

Sharing about the humanist 12 steps in an AA meeting, would cause an uproar and here is why. It is not AA.

You guys want to do your own thing, that's cool. But where I get rigid is when people want to come into a program and change it. The message is watered down enough these days.

I was joking around Rob. I have no intention of changing anything or even trying...of this I am sure I am powerless!

Would you like to bar me from meetings or any other atheist for that matter? What was the only requirement for membership?...hmmm...wait a minute...it's coming to me...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

And they wonder why people use the 'C' word...
Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey dn...been where you are, just my expereince here for what it is worth....in my town the AA simply couldn't accept my alternative ideas in the early 90s...scked and eventually drove me away...but things changed over time and last year when i went back, there was alot more acceptance and apparently had been for many many years....so just saying it might be something to check out every year or so...just to see if things change

that said...aa isn't the only way to practice the 12 steps to help in recovery. Lots of good books on 12 steps outside of the traditional aa views. I think you do alot of reading on that...and you sharing here with others is a wonderful way to incorporate the compassion and connectedness that the 12 steps imbodies (???cant spell worth a crp!)

Hope things are going well for you today!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

I love the aa program and I share my expereince strenght and hope with my AA group. Together we find recovery. Many in AA follow a path that isn't consistant with my understanding of the big book or the steps, but I know they help others and we are a group of alchoholics sharing our expereince strenght and hope with each other that we may recover from this disease.

I no longer feel the need to kick people out or shut them up just because they understand things differently than me. I gain much from those on a different path than I and am usually grateful for what they bring to the meeting.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I remember someone (Sugerspun?) saying that a meeting is not the program, the program is the book, the book is AA.
At the time I was wondering then what is an AA meeting? LOL

I am still not sure but I have found them to be comprised of those who I would describe as 'program people' and those I would call 'fellowship people'.
A lot of the fellowship people spout the cliches of AA but don't seem to have read the book...but they are sober. They are the 'meeting makers make it', 'just don't pick up the first drink', 'take what you need and leave the rest' type people.

From what I have seen they comprise about 90% of the people in meetings local to me.

It seems like it is the opposite at this site, 90% of the people talking about AA are program people.

So, I think people on this forum can be put off AA because, frankly the program people can seem extremely rigid in their thinking. After all they are following words in black and white, they don't seem to see shades of gray.

They also get extremely defensive if anyone questions AA, they see it as an attack on 'the program that saved their lives' and use this to be as aggressive as they like in it's defense.
I like GK Chestertons quote..."It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it."

So, my point is following Anandas, it is worth going to some meetings because you will most likely find a group of supportive people there, including the program people.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
things as it is

Good posts ananda and stone. Thank you for sharing.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like the sound of those steps. I would be interested in participating in that thread you mentioned, zencat.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lesson learned,
It appears a fair amount of you are all to eager to debate the negative aspects of AA, rather than discuss what I said.I'll go back to where I came from and leave you all to do whatever it is you do here.

for the record you would be welcomed warmly in my meeting if any of you are ever in Southern NH.