Notices

Started again.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started again.

Started smoking again have been for like a month or so it's bad, i keep quitting and then starting again.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pinkgurl - Examine what's going on closely. What I mean is that if you keep returning to cigarettes, there must be something that keeps happening for it to keep reoccurring. Change what's going on and then you'll be successful.

Have you ever read the Allen Carr book? He wrote an extremely great book about quitting smoking and in fact that's how I quit over two years ago. I can sit here and list all the reasons for you to quit smoking and why it's bad, but if it was me looking at someone elses post listing the negatives on smoking (back when I was a smoker), I'd probably be reading it WHILE smoking lol.

Examine yourself and what went wrong, drink plenty of water when you quit, and stop making excuses to go back to smoking. What I did was I had my last cigarette at a laundry mat - I went home and tossed away my ash trays and just knew that was it. Yeah, I had cravings at times but if I caved into them I'd never win. On a particular "bad" craving, I'd drink water and that helped extremely well.

Good luck.

If I did my math correct, I've saved around $6,000 by not smoking (in fact today oddly enough is my 2 years, 4 months)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I need to quit

My standing joke about is, Every time I think about quitting cigarettes, I have to light one up to calm down. I've been off crack 108 days now and am becoming comfortable without it. Honestly, am I just doing whatever I can to hold on to addiction or what. Advice is welcome, please
Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm surprised I have made it this far. As of Xmas, that was 7 months for me.

I have noticed cravings - and I am really conscious of how the mental and physical are separate things. For instance, I can have the thought of smoking and feel something mildlly positive about that notion and then, ten seconds later, walk by someone smoking and hold my breath because it's so unpleasant. Total contradiction.

We've all heard the usual things that we appreciate, like the real taste of food again, etc. There is at least one scent that I am glad to have found again. While walking in the park, I can smell the scent of the drying goldenrod, and it's fantastic. (At least I think it's the goldrenrod.)

For those who can use reminders, remember not to have easy return routes for you, ie, don't have lighters/ashtrays within reach; stash those away. Don't tolerate smoker friends that have a loose attitude about it and would ask whether you need a smoke every once in a while out of "pity." (Assuming you are not asking them to give in in the first place.) Don't inhale the smell of smoke and romanticize and wonder whether you should just try to have one. Don't bum them off people and don't buy "just one pack" either. Read whyquit.com for tips and encouragement.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I personally do not agree with whyquit.org, but that might be because they use fear as a scare tactic. I don't think that you can quit something when you're in fear, you might be able to stop for a day or two, but quitting with fear really hurts the success rate. You should feel happy that you're free from nicotine and that you have so much to look forward to in life without dragging around cigarettes.

As Toronto68 also said, getting rid of ashtrays and lighters will show that you're serious about quitting. If you are hesitant at all getting rid of them, you're going to lessen your chance of success. Be confident! Having confidence in yourself is such a beautiful thing when it comes to quitting a bad habit.

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Every time I think about quitting cigarettes, I have to light one up to calm down.
You can show a smoker pictures of a "smoker's lung" and the next thought of theirs is to light up a cigarette and smoke. That always stuck in my head because it's so very true - you can tell someone what the effects are (they already know), what damage it causes (they already know), and that it lowers their life span (they already know).. After you tell them these things, they'll be looking for their cigarettes.

The person has to want to quit and they need advice on what to do, not a build up of fear and pictures.

Recently I had two nights worth of reoccurring smoking dreams. I haven't smoked for over two years! I woke up disappointed in myself LOL.