Notices

Quit day 2nd Feb 2015

Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit day 2nd Feb 2015

Only just found this little tucked away corner of SR.
I can see it's going to be a godsend (or similar!) to help me keep my cravings (AV) at bay when I quit smoking nicotine.

I hope my continued success in conquering other addictions will steer me in the right direction mentally.

Big Plan: no more nicotine as of 2nd Feb

Cold turkey with regard to NRT, up to 2 weeks of physical withdrawal symptoms I can handle (possibly with a little help req?...)

It's my mind I don't trust.

My addiction to nicotine started while I was still at school, wanting to fit in, be cool, share a 'grown-up' secret with the other girls.
It was portrayed to be sexy, everybody did it, it was advertised all over the place.

For 22 years I've been addicted to nicotine.

I stopped for 4 months one time, a long time ago, I quit again for 7 months, over 10 years ago.

This time it has to be forever.

I've changed my mind about wanting to die since I was a teenager with my whole life ahead of me & I was invincible anyway.

I've come to the realisation that, of course, I'm not. I'm getting older, more mature & don't want to spend he rest of my life allowing a drug to control me.

I can't think of a single good reason to continue to use nicotine.

I feel sick.

I am sick.

The voice in my head says I don't have to die from lung cancer or any other smoking related disease.

I say I don't want to sit in a room with the other addicted patients in the hospice who still can't quit the nicotine even when it has directly caused them to be there.

I don't want my family and loved ones to visit me when I'm dying and battle through the clouds of smoke to see me.

Enough of hiding behind the smokescreen.

I will free myself from this addiction & I will be who I am, who I was meant to be.

Keep on keeping on
And then just keep on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Celtic just saw this post today. Are you still quitting on the 2nd? There are a few of us over on the 24 hour no smoking thread that are early on in their quits and we are a pretty supportive bunch so would be great t o have you on that thread too. Peace
Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just been along to the stop smoking clinic at the surgery.
The nurse there also quit cold turkey & recommends that once you stop, you stay stopped.
No once in a while, not cut down or ever have JUST 1, makes sense, I was NEVER able to have just 1 drink and the same is true of the nicotine sticks.
It was/is so much easier to 'get off' of illegal drugs as they carry a very different stigma and are not available to buy everywhere I go.
I recently read Jason Vales book and think it is similar to the Allen Carr one in likening alcohol to poison.
I made a BP (big plan) with regard to alcohol and I am not having any real problems being a non-drinker.
I need to liken nicotine, tar & all the other nasties in tobacco to the real poison that it is.
Easier to feel the effects of too much alcohol, to see what it does to others and just to stop drinking forever.
I now consider myself to be a non-drinker, I never drink alcohol.
I have decided to be a non-smoker too....
AVRT is my key.
Watch this space

Day minus 4 and counting

Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Celtic sounds like you've got a really good well thought out plan there. I've got to agree with the not one ever, the only way to stop an addiction(in my experience anyway) is to totally starve it, giving in to it now and again just keeps it going! I've gone totally cold turkey this time, coming up to 30 days tomorrow and its working! I have stopped in the past then started up again but I don't think I was really ready to quit but this time I am.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this CelticZebra!!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We are doing this - by we I mean Hubby&I
IT is running scared! A new life begins on Monday, a free bird, more colourful than before, will rise from the ashes & learn to strengthen her wings, to fly, unconcerned by the beastly noise within and the pain 'without'
the challenge of the storm will provide opportunity for learning to relax, use the wind to advantage, feel the strength and meet the power.
I'm building on this... My life is at stake and I AM stubborn, I will do what is right for me, what I need.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Celtic, Peace and I quit at the same time and have made it. Make the decision that having a cig is not an option and that you are not a smoker anymore. I was horribly addicted to nicotine and did it. You can too.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I smoked for nearly 24 years or so. If I can quit and despise smokes, you can too! One day at a time. Change your routine! You will not regret it! If you want a smoke, go take a walk! Go wash your hands! Go vacuum the floors! Wash those stinky curtains and wipe your walls down. You'll be amazed and disgusted at how much nicotine collects. Clean your vehicles and oh my gosh... get rid of the lighters and ash trays! lol

Not 1 more puff.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is my last day as a smoker. My house is ready for the giant clean, actually in the process, just the kitchen left to completely scrub down, all smoking is taking place elsewhere today. The car is such a MUST DO. I will have so many things to 'keep me busy' while in the physical withdrawl process and just stocked up on healthy snacks for a go to when cravings come and SR & this thread for 'support' against any self-doubt (AV) that I may encounter in the process. I love expanding my mind and trying hard to make my lifestyle healthier for me now I've decided I like living my life on my terms.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's it, I'm done, I've smoked my last rollie, no more nicotine for me....
I know I can get through the next 3 weeks without drinking so there should be no panic without the nasty nic.
Roller coaster here I come, I can stomach this ride, now.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you CZ

D
Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do it! Post on here to let us know how you get on!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gunny try quiting starting now wish me luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can do it Dsmaxis10. Keep posting.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Having a pretty chilled day so far considering it's Monday, I didn't get out of bed on time so made LO late for school, walked coz the car needs cleaning, it stinks, and it was iced up. Cancelled dentist, will rearrange in a few weeks. the dogs haven't shut up most of the day and somebody has being doing some home improvements.so that's been slightly irritating too. Spent the morning in the 'garden room' watching the birds and contemplating my life, sitting with myself (&my beast!), my thoughts and my (several) cups of coffee. Weather has turned colder again now it's time to head out again on the school run (walk).
Smoke free for 15+ hours now, the app I downloaded says I've raised my life expectancy by 1 hour!& saved an hour too? Ahh well, going out for that fresh air now, keep going along the path of ye olde methods

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

May the force be with you CelticZebra! You can do this, you sound very committed and have a great list of reasons to give up the "Cancer Sticks". I just may have to borrow some of those points you mentioned. I just don't have the courage to give up smoking yet, maybe after another month or two of sobriety first.

Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok so almost 48 hrs without tobacco and no great desperation to smoke, went to my friends house, it's her birthday, she smokes roll ups, some others came who smoke cigarettes. I don't smoke anymore, I just don't see the point, still waiting for the book & feeling a bit uptight now I'm home although nothing has occurred the feelings are low which is not so nice. Tomorrows just another day, hubby got pains but otherwise mostly normal, e.g. Not very expressive & I'm not keen on the current 'unbalance' going on in my life at the moment, hope this adjustment doesn't take too long, feeling slightly sick.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

way to go CZ, I quit a week ago Monday - cold turkey dip/smokeless
AVRT works for alcohol, it will work for nicotine too.

on day 9 -- I QUIT!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great stuff Brain,! Keep going......it's such a good feeling but still so new that it's a roller coaster of beastly thoughts (av) vs the ACE (abstinent commitment effect) while I am adjusting to my new life as a non-smoker, it's understandable that it will take a short while to settle down. Part of me thinks why bother(that's the beastly part!) and I think, just a few weeks of discomfort and I can make my life better for me. In the meantime I'm suffering from beastly headaches and lots of 'old movie' playback from my younger, party years, the smoking, drinking & drugging that I partook of in my teens. The 'sensible' person I am now. Why does sensible=boring in my head?? Arrrrgh

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I succumbed the the nagging AV
I smoked 1rollie.
Not letting the beast bash me.
I will have to make a big plan.