Notices

Totally confused...

Old 06-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally confused...

Hey guys, newbie here!

I'm not really sure where to start, but here goes. I've drank maybe 3 times a week for the last couple of years and I find myself not being able to go more than a few days without 'fancying a drink'. The trouble is that I cannot just stop at 1 or 2 and I always have 6+. I have realised that it's become a coping mechanism for my spiralling anxiety and both the anxiety and alcohol seem to fuel one another.

I'm confused as to whether I actually have a problem, I'm familiar with "the first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem" but I have so much going through my head that I don't know if I do have a problem. I'm not in denial, just utterly unsure and confused.

I always believed (maybe rather ignorantly) that alcoholism is strictly reserved to those that wake up needing a drink. Do I have a problem?

I'm sorry in advance if I cause offence due to my explantion of my situation.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

If you want to know if alcohol is a problem for you, just stop, right now. Go through a period of say 90 days with no alcohol and see how you feel. You will likely have your answer one way or the other.

I think it's good to know that alcoholism is not about how much or how often you drink. It's more about what happens to you when you drink. I became a person I hated, so stopping worked for me.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome leighroy.
ok, so your not sure if you have a problem. maybe i can share something that may help you decide:

I find myself not being able to go more than a few days without 'fancying a drink'. The trouble is that I cannot just stop at 1 or 2 and I always have 6+. I have realised that it's become a coping mechanism for my spiralling anxiety and both the anxiety and alcohol seem to fuel one another.

alcoholism isnt about how much a person drinks. the alcohol in alcoholism is only a symptom. its about why we drink and what we do when we drink.

a person doesnt have to be in the gutter to be an alcoholic, but the label doesnt matter.
if you have a problem with alcohol then you have aproblem with alcohol.
which im sure you can determine that by reading the above
Old 06-23-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It's very insightful of you to see that your anxiety and your drinking are fueling each other. The cycle will progress until you find a way out of the cycle.
The fact that you cannot stop at one drink is very nearly the definition of alcoholism as per AA. But the label is not so important as is your plan to deal with the problem.
All the best.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not what you drink, or how much or how often, it's what happens to you when you drink. It does sound like you have no control over it once you start. The easiest way would be to stop drinking, like Anna said, for a period of time, and see how you feel then. No alcohol for at least 3 months, so you can begin to see the benefits of sobriety.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Leighroy! Welcome to a friendly & encouraging place.

Not being able to stop at one or two was my problem also. Unfortunately, I ignored it & kept on going - trying to use willpower to control myself. As a result, I ended up drinking every day - completely dependent on it. I'm glad you're taking a look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome LR. SR is a VERY good place to learn and find support. Do you have a problem? The fact you think you might gives you a really BIG clue. 'NORMIES' JUST THINK- 'I NEED TO STOP DRINKING..AND THEY DO.' I COULD NOT. wILL POWER DOES NOT WORK BECAUSE ADDICTIVE THINKING DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY RULES. SORRY caps lock.

I suggest you go to an AA meeting, sit at the back and just listen. Close your eyes and just listen to the common themes. look past the words we flinch from when said..such as alcoholic. Or god, or higher power- or the clichés. The purpose is not to drink. I also see a counsellor to help me work thru the crap of addictive thinking. Also less frequently but just as important- I see a psychologist to work out WHY I drink. Long term planning and support is essential for me to remain sober, which from the most hellish of circumstances- I have been able to do for 17 months. From 4L of wine a day to nothing. I also have regular check ups for my physical health with a GP. Sobriety for me is a goal I have as unconscious as breathing. If I stop breathing- I die. If I stop using a support network daily (such as SR) I will drink and next time I will die.
Empathy and support to you.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Leighroy; so glad you found us.

Great advise above!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There anxiety circle you describe is very common with alcohol misuse. For me, that misuse became complete abuse, and with it, my anxiety spiraled into full panic attacks.

Only you can decide if you have a problem, but I think it's a wonderful thing that you're taking a serious look at it.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Leighroy!!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I've spent the last couple of days looking back to how I was before I started drinking and I want to be that person again. And I will be!

I now know that, 100%, I have a problem and I cannot go on like this.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Leighroy

Welcome to SR, you'll find great support here should you want to find a better life for yourself.

I never drank in the mornings, I never even drank every day. I didn't drink spirits and I never woke up in the gutter. I never drove under the influence and I've always held down a job.

That said, I'm a raving alcoholic and there isn't a single aspect of my life that isn't better since I came here and followed the exact same advice from the exact same people who have already contributed to your thread.

That anxiety you talk about has completely disappeared now, as has the crippling depression that used to define me. I don't recognise the person I once was.

Good luck to you on your journey :-)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

How easy is it for you to not drink for 6 months?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Leigh,

SR via the Internet saved my life.

Now that we can Google info. We can learn and try to stop before we need medical intervention.

I feel that is where you are right now.

You have a physical and mental addiction.

If you want to quit, you are half way there.

It is awesome going out now, to restaurants and parties and not drinking.

Once we get clean, and want to stay clean, it is a better world.

Seeing life through an intoxicated brain was fun, until it wasn't.

Now, seeing life sober is fun....this is how we were designed.

It takes some time for natural brain dopamine to return, but when it does...staying clean is much easier.

Exercise and activities help w the healing.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took the alcohol ride right down to the cellar, but I can't remember one occasion where I felt I needed a a drink, especially on waking. There were roughly three scenarios on any given day. I either was too sick to drink, too broke to drink, or I drank until I was too sick or broke to drink. No desperate need in there, I just wanted to have a good time.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
How easy is it for you to not drink for 6 months?
I can't remember yhe last time that I went 6 months without a drink. The longest I've abstained for was about a week and a half.