Notices

Stage Fright

Old 05-23-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Stage Fright

The play I'm in opened last night. I stood backstage, my heart pounding, my head dizzy. Will I remember my lines? I was scared, anxious and I thought... a shot of rye would calm my nerves. Before the play I was out with family and friends and everyone was drinking, except me. I could not even eat. I was hungry but there was no way I could put food in my mouth due to my mounting anxiety.

5 minutes the stage manager says....cue the darkness...lights up...cue entrance.

I did it.

The play went well - the audience was wonderful. And I didn't drink.

I had a party at my place afterwards - and everyone was drinking, but me. I was fine. I enjoyed myself and I had a good time.

I woke up nice and sober this morning and ready to face my 2nd performance again tonight. I hope I'm not as nervous.

I tell this story not for accolades or praise, but to share with others who are struggling and let you know that just because you are scared and your heart is pounding - it will pass and you will be able to perform without resorting to alcohol.

CF
Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober performance!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thank you for sharing your success with us! Keep us updated on how it's going please!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a successful sober opening night!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its great to hear about your success! Congrats to you.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing!! Good stuff!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How lovely Calicofish - to hear this. I was just thinking about you this morning...well done on managing such a variety of potentially tricky tasks... I look forward to hearing more. LB
Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Calicofish. I needed to hear this. Well done
Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great calicofish - good for you

D
Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in awe of people who act in plays. I applaud you.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great to hear Calico! Well done. You must feel great, you have been preparing for this play for quite a while!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats, Calicofish!

My work involves frequently giving presentations to both small and large audiences. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years now, and I still always have some stage freight. Sometimes it's very mild and almost unnoticeable, other times like what you described. I never tried to drink before to curb it, but I gave presentations badly hungover many times -- a hellish experience for me. Now sober, of course it's much better (I don't have that very annoying experience of losing my train of thought when speaking, for example). But I'm still always anxious at least a little before starting. I doubt it'll ever be otherwise for me but I've accepted this a good while ago.

What's weird is that people never believe me I'm nervous... I was told the opposite many times. Initially, I always thought they were just being kind but lying to me... until I got videotaped a couple times initially, and then watched it back. That was bizarre: really like seeing another person, like it cannot be real, impossible it looks like this from the outside, knowing it very well from the inside... But watching the records really helped me get more confident inside my head also, not just in appearance. Not gonna spoil that with drinking and with hangovers.

I'm sure you did great second time as well
Old 05-26-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Haennie:

I think stage fright is the norm and as you describe sometimes worse at times. The 2nd performance went a bit better in terms of stage fright, but my heart was still thumping in my chest. I've performed on stage in various things and I get the same response as you do - you didn't look nervous. Meanwhile, it's all I can do not to just stand there like a deer in the headlights. It takes me about 10 minutes on stage to get my rhythm, then I can blank out the people and concentrate fully on my character.

I can't imagine doing it hungover - that would be torture. I am sure many actors do it though and many are drunk. Seems to go hand in hand with artist types.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my thread.
CF

Last edited by Calicofish; 05-26-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: extra or missing words