Notices

Newbie here.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here.

I'm at a cutting down phase now. Separating a few shots of vodka by 48 hours. Definitely beats 1.75L and I haven't hit the Everclear in a few weeks now.

My brain is an endless fog and I have difficulty thinking and driving. I wake up tired and stay tired all day. I avoid driving at all costs, which since I work at home is pretty easy.

I read something about PAWS and have a decent understanding of it. I want to find a way to make it go away quicker. Redline energy drinks are not helping with clarity anymore. I take plenty of vitamins and mineral, weight train and my diet is great (besides the alcohol, but I work in those cals and still hit my protein), but will your brain truly stop healing and actually reverse progress just from a drink every few days? I know a lot of people who have a beer every few days, can your body just not adjust to a new way of drinking or does it always just assume you are going to go on a few month binge again unless you completely abstain?

I've made it 4 days without a drink twice in the last 2 months and my clarity was great and I could see perfect and drive without a worry, but on those nights I'd have a small glass of vodka and the next day I felt like garbage again, and the next day. It's like a 4 day hangover from even a beers worth of alcohol without the headache. I had blood tests done (on one of those 4 days) and kidney and liver values are just fine, they are completely average in the range values.

Anyways, so that's my question. Will my body get used to a small drink every other day or will I have PAWS forever?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I will say is this, alcohol is poison. It's so bad for us, you, anyone. Anyone who can do the "one drink a day, occasionally", I am jealous of.

Sounds like you've been to the doctor to get yourself checked, that's good. Welcome to the site. This place is awesome!!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Zoobon!
I don't know the scientific answer to your question, but I did experience worsening hangovers as time went on, even with smaller amounts of alcohol. Maybe that's a sign you'd do better to stop completely(?)......

Glad you're here and making positive changes. We know how tough that can be. Keep reading/posting- there's tons of support and inspiration around here!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can't really be certain, but from my own experience... not likely. I have perfect recent blood/liver/heart test results, but some of my recent hangovers honestly made me think these were the last hours/minutes of my life. As vegibean said, alcohol is poison, and it can do some serious damage. No matter how long my breaks were, my hangovers never went away. I guess, at some point your body just tells you that it's enough.

Also, welcome!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad to have you here with us, Zoobon. I hope you'll find it to be a supportive and encouraging place. You're not alone.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zoobon - welcome

Not everyone experiences PAWs

PAWs is Post Acute Withdrawal...usually cuts in at about 30 days or more after we stop drinking.

I'm not an expert tho

This is a good link on PAWs
PAWS « Digital Dharma

you'll likely go through initial withdrawal first...& to get through that process completely, you'll need to stop drinking completely first.

I recommend everyone see a Dr before they take that step.

I don't know anything that helps us 'get better' faster - I know there's a lot of suggestions out there but personally I don't think there's anything more effective than time and patience.

Too many energy drinks can bring their own problems...

D
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terrazinaa View Post
but some of my recent hangovers honestly made me think these were the last hours/minutes of my life.
That is exactly how it started to feel before I cut down. I didn't want to go back to sleep because I thought I wouldn't wake up again. Definitely not something I want to feel again.

Thanks all, I see there is a little 'Thank you' button and I'll get to clicking on that. I look forward to reading into the wisdom of the community and sharing some thoughtful words along the way. Thanks again!