Notices

Anyone ever gotten clonidine

Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever gotten clonidine

Was prescribed clonidine for alcohol withdrawal today. Has anyone ever taken it for this?

Just curious what you thought about it and if it helped you. I'm not looking for a doctor, just looking for your experience with it.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
Was prescribed clonidine for alcohol withdrawal today. Has anyone ever taken it for this?

Just curious what you thought about it and if it helped you. I'm not looking for a doctor, just looking for your experience with it.
No sorry
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not something I've experience with Justin!!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, but I hope you get feeling better soon!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Yes, I was prescribed Clonidine as a combination high bp and alcohol withdrawal med.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Clonidine is often prescribed in detox and rehab in treatment for alcohol withdrawal symptoms. It's safety profile is relatively positive.
One caution though. After using it for a while, it should be tapered if discontinuing since an abrupt stop can cause rebound blood pressure problems.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't know it worked for alcohol withdrawal. I have a separate medicine for librium as well. I just hadn't heard of it. I'm in the middle of a detox right now. I don't feel excellent of course, but I'm alive and determined!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD

I didn't know it worked for alcohol withdrawal. I have a separate medicine for librium as well. I just hadn't heard of it. I'm in the middle of a detox right now. I don't feel excellent of course, but I'm alive and determined!
I was also prescribed Clonidine and Librium, but the Clonidine was mainly for bp.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I was also prescribed Clonidine and Librium, but the Clonidine was mainly for bp.
well I read online that it helps with shakes and sweats during withdrawing, and is used for opiate withdrawal.

I had to call him to make sure he didn't get me mixed up with someone that had an opiate problem. (he didn't get them mixed up, he basically told me what you just did)

He added that since my detoxes are getting harder, I needed to be sedated a little more and not drink again. He said the "crawling feeling" I get in my skin is a sign withdrawal is getting bad enough for seizures. I agree with him.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD

well I read online that it helps with shakes and sweats during withdrawing, and is used for opiate withdrawal.

I had to call him to make sure he didn't get me mixed up with someone that had an opiate problem. (he didn't get them mixed up, he basically told me what you just did)

He added that since my detoxes are getting harder, I needed to be sedated a little more and not drink again. He said the "crawling feeling" I get in my skin is a sign withdrawal is getting bad enough for seizures. I agree with him.
Yep. My last 2 withdrawals were terrifying. I toughed it out through the first one, but the most recent one was too much to handle on my own. Had to get some help. I was literally scared for my life.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's exactly where I was a month ago. The hallucinations were so bizarre. I'd be in a dark room trying to fall asleep (so I don't have to hear stuff that isn't there) and I'd hear a random scream. It's always screams. Oddly enough, that's the only symptom I have on night two besides being sweaty and having the crawling skin.