Notices

2-3 day hangover after only a few beers??

Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep it up!! You can do it!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think you are doing fantastic. I read this book that explains how an alcoholic can drink tons in the beginning and very little at the end. It is called "Under The Infuence". Our body's resistence diminishes. It took me alot of tries and alot of soul searching before I quit for good. Well, it has been over 3 months. I am reading alot of books and doing tons of soul searching. I also started running to replace the drinking What really helps me is being completely honest with myself and my alcoholism. Best of luck..
Joanne
Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

laurience...

I can sure believe that!. I was always very puzzled at how when I was in my teens and twenties (even 30's) I was able to drink like a fish and yet at 44 (even after a few beers) I feel like the grim reaper is knocking at the door. It really does seem that our body loses it's resistance over time.

What is really bothering me now (and scaring me) is that lately I have been having a wierd kind of brain fog/vertigo/pain in the left side of my head/brain and when I wake up in the morning I am kind of off-balance and just feel really spacy throughout the day. What bothers me even more is that I don't know what is causing this but it could be any of the following...

* Alcohol withdrawal
* Head jerks from my Tourette's Syndrome
* Allergies
* Taking out of date Xanax from 2003 (dangerous?)
* A stroke or something??

Anyway, I plan to see my doctor tommorow and hopefully I can get some blood tests done. The only problem with that is that I live in Florida and the flu is widespread down here so any contact with people in a medical setting increases my risk of catching the flu which would only add to my existing woes.

I can't seem to win here...ahhhhh!!!

- Regards, NFIS
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

NFIS,
Alcohol withdrawal has so many side effects. I think it is a good idea to see the doctor. Try not to worry about catching the flu. Just wash your hands when leaving and you will be fine.
Joanne
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
emerging from the darkness

All I can say is keep trying nofuninsuds! I agree AA is not for everyone, I have anxieties which have prevented me from going to a second meeting. I tried it, I was completely stressed out despite the amazing and wonderful people there. I have known people in my life that drank to excess for years and successfully stopped on their own after numerous failures. My birthfather for one, he's 18 years sober at this point.

I am just 12 days sober today, I feel pretty great despite quite a bit of depression. That should pass I hope!

Much luck to you guy!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was looking online for a remedy to help cure the worst hangover I've ever had and I've luckily stumbled across this. It's day two and I am still feeling like I've been thrown under a bus. Reading all the comments makes me feel like I'm not so alone in this. I've never had a hangover for this long.

I'm 23 and have struggled with drinking since I was in highschool. I've tried AA and I drank even more since thats all that was talked about so that's all I could think about.

I don't know if it's age, but I'm sure it plays a strong role for some. I can drink a 12 pack in 3 hours and wake up the next day feeling fine, but sometimes I drink 3-4 and wake up dehydrated, dizzy, and depressed. I've gone almost a full year without drinking and now I'm right back where I was 2 years ago.

My drinking is starting to effect my job and my social life especially. I need to change. I'm glad I've found this forum and all you people that I feel I can relate to.

-Ryan
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, rodom. You have indeed found a place where people understand what you are going through. Hope you stick around and absorb the wisdom to be found here.

I'll start out by saying that if you are truly ready to STOP drinking, it is possible. Millions of people have done it and you can, too. The first thing is to know in your heart of hearts that you do not want to drink anymore. No more playing around and thinking you can have a few and stop. It doesn't work like that. When you are truly ready to stop drinking, you will be willing to do whatever is necessary to make that happen. Are you willing to do whatever is necessary?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rodom

It was my experience the hangovers got longer too. Please see your Dr if you're worried.
It definitely doesn't get better from here - the traffic is all one way - so I think you made a great choice coming here

see you round
D
Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

All this talk of hangovers has killed any itch to drink I may have had. Thanks.

Rev
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yeah mine got progressively worse throughout my 20s. It helps reinforce what a insane decision it is to drink to "feel good" for 3 hours and spend three days recovering from it.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello Rodom,

Feeling good one time drinking, bad another could be a matter of various things - whether or not you ate, meds you are/are not on, etc.

The point really is that if you're depressed and your job and social life is suffering, it's time for a change.

Dee is right, there comes a point where we cross that line and there is no return to the free wheelin' high school day drinking escapades - it's a one way trip from here and it doesn't get better.

You're doing what you can do right now. Not drink. Yes, you feel like crap, but it's the progression of your body ridding itself of the toxins - let it. Stay hydrated with water and get lots of rest. Eat lightly.

AA isn't the only recovery solution. You could try outpatient counseling, as well as other methods that are available.

Stick around - read and post some more. Keep in mind that drinking now will only create another repeat of this, possibly worse next time. Be well.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I definitely think that the older you get, the harder it gets to recover.

But, for sure, check with your dr to see how your health is.
1000000% right, I felt Great after a case when younger, forget what age I started feeling it but.... thinking 40's even younger. Im on a kick of trying to exsersize (can't even spell it), eat well, etc. etc. to avoid them. A doctor asked me "are you trying to be a healthy alcoholic?" Hell yes, getting older sucks.

I searched Campral, noticed OP's post. Just answering your question. NOT judging and sorry if its not very supportive. If you want to quit drinking best of luck to you and wish I knew how. I realize I just like the way it makes me feel not disciplined enough anymore which is sure sign of everything said about Alcoholism. Naltrexone might be the thing for you IF alcohol is only thing your doing and no pain killers at all. Ask Dr. and be 100 percent honest with everything you take before naltrexone or anything. Best of Luck old man haha. I'm way older . Hope your doing good, OP and everyone. Be healthy.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am taking Campral too. My physician told me to call him if I relapsed while taking this med.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So...... Hows everyone doing ?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay

This is an old thread - you might be better starting a new one?

D
Old 03-12-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I replied without seeing the original post date. Oops! Don't mind me.

Last edited by 5KRunner; 03-12-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Deleted response to old post