Notices

Anyone here ever try hemp protein?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone here ever try hemp protein?

Hey all, I just wanted to share something that happened to me recently on my sober journey. So my inner demons got the best of me in the beginning of the new year.

After about a year and four months clean, I reunited with my childhood best friend whom I used to get high with everyday for 6 years prior to my quitting weed. Needless to say, he still gets ripped on the regular, and I had been avoiding any contact with him since it helped me stay on course with sobriety. Well, anyways he just had his first kid, and he wanted me to be his kid's godfather. And there's no way I would turn that down, I mean we're more like blood brothers than friends.

So I visited him at his place to see my 4 month-old godson. Got to hold him and feed him a bit before he went to sleep. And when the baby did fall asleep, my friend asked if it was okay if he could take a hit out of his pipe around me. I thought, "Yeah, why not. I don't even care to get high anymore." So we sat outside on his patio, he took a few drags out of his pipe and made sure to blow the smoke away from me. Well, try as he did, I felt myself feeling a bit different and instantly I thought, "Crap! I just got a contact high."

And I definitely did get contact high from his second hand smoke. Later that day, after the tiny effect wore off, I stumbled on a YouTube video by Ralph Smart where he talks about Marijuana. And in the video he mentioned that he uses hemp protein to relax. So, I did some research on it and thought I should try it out. I mean, all the research said that it was legal and safe, and had trace amounts of THC content; like 0.3% compared to 20% THC in weed.

So I went ahead and picked up a tub from my local Vitamin Shoppe and tried it the next day. The taste was horrible, but my addict mind didn't buy the protein for its taste. In retrospect, subconsciously, I was slowly crawling back to weed.

Before I knew it I was on a hemp protein regimen for 2 weeks, and in that 2 weeks I noticed that my motivation and productivity were slowly declining. I also noticed some minor memory disturbances. I came to my senses after that 2 week stint and threw away the tub.

A couple days after, I woke up and I felt a wave of anxiety and had to call in sick to work. That night, and for a few days afterward I battled some serious insomnia. I felt like I was going back to square one with my withdrawals from my initial quit, over a year ago. But thankfully, it didn't last too long and I'm back to my good ol sober-sleeping self. That whole ordeal strengthened my resolve to stay away from weed for good.

Has anyone else had any experience with hemp protein? I'm wondering if it effects everyone like it did with me? Or maybe I'm just highly sensitive to THC, even in trace amounts.

Anyways, stay blessed everyone. And keep fighting the good fight!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never heard of it, never tried it...glad you got over it IfGodWillsIt.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's never to underestimate our unerring ability to find ourselves back at that same old crappy spot, through a variety of different and beguiling doors.

D
Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

never to underestimate our unerring ability to find ourselves back at that same old crappy spot, through a variety of different and beguiling doors.

D
That's for sure! Thank you Dee.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I've heard of it but did not know it had any thc. I know I'm pretty sensitive to things that others may not notice too. I'm glad you got rid of it because it sounds like you also had an emotional connection with it which fed the AV. That is a danger in itself. I try not to take anything in order to change the way I feel (aside from food, water and the dreaded coffee). Still, not like I have moral high ground because it's all relatively new to me too.