Yes, it's true...

Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everything went well and you stayed clean Alex

D
Old 12-29-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Didn't notice this forum. But I became a marijuana addict when I once tried to put the bottle down. Sounded right at the time.

The thing about marijuana is I've never heard a heavy marijuana user say they were an addict. Not even me. haven't smoked in years by the way.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Didn't notice this forum. But I became a marijuana addict when I once tried to put the bottle down. Sounded right at the time.

The thing about marijuana is I've never heard a heavy marijuana user say they were an addict. Not even me. haven't smoked in years by the way.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Me too.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Me too. Over 30 years now. Sorry if this double posts.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing about marijuana is I've never heard a heavy marijuana user say they were an addict
I definitely was.
I went to other way from smoke to booze, and ended up back on both.

Each destroyed my life.

D
Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Hi all. Glad you managed to quit. Wonder how Alexthedude is doing. Are you out there Alex?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

39 yrs sober but

hi all- I'm quite different ,to at least i think although I've suffered all these yrs with depression plus after 30 yrs of aa sobriety , i had a series of 6 surgeries on every joint in body,, then i had lung surgery and in 2011,,i developed stage 2 esofogeal cancer. that was pure hell,my recovery. well for yrs,,my lawyer fiends ,, or i should say,there sons ,,been trying to convince me to smoke pot for my daily depression n chroic pain..well i did 6 months ago,,n i never laughed so hard in my life one silly things..i bought a vile and it lasted me a dozen times ,until last week.. i will buy another for sure. i did nt like how i felt smoking alone as i get zoned out and the mind is so so creative and time goes to damn slow,,but guess what- I'm my depression is so totally gone..i have no pain getting out of my bed . i don't limp when I'm high. i just can't invite any old friend in,at age 62 and say,,wanna smoke or wanna get high………… i know I'm not addicted as i don't love it but i certainly like it….yes,I'm back on 40 mgs of oxycodone again for 5 monts.. until i get a tens machine inserted in my back in april.. oxys are a no no…am i going to beat myself up ? hell no ..if u suffered like i suffer,u likely say,,how can you go on,,, but i will get off these soon.yes i go to meetings and have very strong message .im powerless over alcohol… i was brain dead at 23 ,i had homocidal anger and id shoot you on the spot if u angered me, n i knew id get away with it..folks i was sick from the mean streets of nyc. AA TOLD ME I COULD HAVE MY DREAMS ..WELL ILL BE HONEST.I DREAMT OF A NICE HOME A COUNTRY CLUB MEMBERSHIP,,VACATIONS THRU OUT THE WORLD BIG INCOME …am i bragging stating i got the above and much much more… however,, my biggest gift is sobriety.i neuter endorse nor oppose your decision to smoke or use pain pills..i take both for medical reasons,,but,i know the oozy use must go,,n ill deal with this awful pain..pot---wow i love it.i told a new AA pal i smoke occasionally .he told me,,he must disassociate with me,as that was his main drug..he has 12 yrs ,but there s a big difference in 12 n 39.im no better than him,,or you, but i have yrs of wisdom,,i never should have told him that n I've lost a friend,,but he lost more than a friend.he lost a man with a huge bucket list of success stories n how i did it.i wish him well . i end saying, yes I'm very different,i think. my life isn't perfect,,but i no longer get into car accidents , drunken fights - hospitals -- closing bars at 4 am .AA has transformed my life.. for those judges if any,who say I'm heading for a drink,, i ask you to head for the exit,but i ask you with love and i wish you only good will.. my hope is ,,my physical n mental pain can diminish ,but i doubt it.ive spoken to many doctors.35 % of patients have no success with anti depressants .im in that category.. please wish me well,n share u ideas..love you all tom c ,,,nyc
Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Wishing you well over here, Tom. Sounds like a rough ride. Glad you seem to be on a better path than you were on before. Sorry to hear about your chronic pain.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Not doing too good, I have a lot due tomorrow, but am realizing that I've been very stoned every time I worked on these projects, and they are of reasonable quality when viewed in a sober state, but they took longer than they should have. I smoke entirely too much pot. I often make erroneous decisions completely devoid of executive function I freak out at the stupidest ****, and although I never have any violent intentions, or actions, I am emotionally very angry when out of weed. I'm basically quite high, because I've been doing good work stoned this whole time, but now I'm having a lot of trouble focusing on applying the final layers of paint, so to speak.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I can totally relate to all of that Alex. Or at least I used to be able to. I quit weed and it was a huge relief as far as having less stress and self doubt. Hope you feel better soon. If you wanna quit, we're here for you.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Ps. thanks for coming back and telling us how you're doing. I used to be a highly functioning stoner too but I always knew it would have been easier without the weed.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you're kinda caught in the cycle there Alex - any ideas on how you might get out?

D
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have no idea.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered Marijuana Anonymous? Might be a start?

https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/...-united-states
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexThedude View Post
I have no idea.
Hi Alex,

I made the decision to quit around 6 months ago after 5 years of smoking with a few week long breaks here and there, but pretty heavy smoking every night and weekend for the past 2 years. In the end, it took until two weeks ago to actually quit rather than just think "I need to quit".

I hated the thought of what it's doing to my body and mind, but like you it was basically my only way to relax and feel calm/happy. Though I remembered a time where I could smoke occasionally or not at all and feel just fine - I want to get back to that, and perhaps that's something you've thought about as well?

I'm almost 2 weeks into my journey and it seems to slowly be getting better for me. The best advice I can give is to throw everything away - all your bongs, pipes, vapes, papers, grinders, etc. Get rid of it all and also throw away any stashes you have (I flushed mine). I won't lie to you - it hasn't been a cakewalk, but man when you start coughing up black crap everyday you'll know you made the right decision.

Again, just throw all that stuff away and try not to look back. You may get cravings and feel like crap for a couple weeks, but at least you won't be as tempted to give in.

Once you make that decision to quit I'm sure you will get through it. Keep us updated mate.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

On my day one my mom asked what was wrong. I told her I hadn't smoked that day. She came to my house and I chucked my nice little bong off my deck (in a safe direction). I was like wow. I'm gonna friggin do this. I had other pipes, even had a big bag, but watching that bong shatter into a million pieces was my sober self making a big statement to my weed-head self. I gave it a go. It was tough, and my only plan was to not smoke. Not a hit, a toke, or a nothing. You gotta 1 want it 2 let it happen. (And a little luck don't hurt). Do it buddy.
-Ted
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That sounds exhausting, Alex. I can really relate to the anger and misery, especially when I ran out of herb.

For me, the first step was making the decision to quit. Once I did that, there were plenty of ways to find support and advice to stay clean. We can help if you're interested. The first and most evident reward for me was freedom from all of the garbage that comes with being shackled to an illegal substance to get through the day.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sorry, double post.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would like to be sober now...