thought it might be useful for anyone trying to give up ciggarettes/marijuana

i know its not the same but hope this helps in some if any way possible

good luck everyone
Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have heard of Sober Tobers, also.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great idea! I think it must be easier to quit smoking as a planned and organised campaign, knowing that other people are doing the same and with support in place. It took me six months to kick nicotine on my own - been smoke-free almost 13 years now.

Macmillan Nurses are also promoting a 'Go Sober for October' campaign. I'm hoping it'll keep me on track!
SHR
Old 09-20-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by SecondHandRose View Post
Great idea! I think it must be easier to quit smoking as a planned and organised campaign, knowing that other people are doing the same and with support in place. It took me six months to kick nicotine on my own - been smoke-free almost 13 years now.

Macmillan Nurses are also promoting a 'Go Sober for October' campaign. I'm hoping it'll keep me on track!
SHR
I know of the go sober campaign also great campaign
Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I already managed to stop weed and have been gearing up to quit cigarettes for months now. I made it about 10 hours yesterday but then I caved. Sigh. I know I have to apply the same quitting techniques to this and I'll get the same great results. Not looking forward to it but I'd love to be free of all addictions, nothing to plan my life around, nothing to make me tweaky when I don't have it. I hate feeling out of sorts several times a day because I can't have a cigarette at that time. Sigh. This could be a good opportunity, it would be nice to quit alongside others.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

Im on day 6 without drinking. Now I need to try kick the pot the start of October I hope..!

I already feel great without the drinking so im unsure if I should give the other up so soon as the booze was definitely the greater of both evils ?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Well done for quitting drinking!!! That's great. I am totally in support of quitting pot. I did it and am really really really glad I did. One of the best things I've ever done. I've heard of people that quit two things at once and it worked for them. I wasn't convinced I could manage it (pot and cigarettes) so I stuck to one. I must say that I wish I had quit cigarettes back then because now I'd be totally free instead of still addicted to something.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tartanic

Hows the non smoking going WB?

D
Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Ah... ahem... yes... I was gonna, um, try in October? Darn. Busted.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

OK, October 1st. Here we go!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

On November 1 it will be 20 years since I quit cigs! It's been a while but in my opinion the cigs are harder at first but get easy fast. After a month it's all will power. After a year it's a walk in the park. If you can quit the weed you can certainly give up the cigs. Gum, carrots, candy all help. Just don't smoke! Tell people that you are quitting. Hang out in places that you can't smoke. You feel down right euphoric for a while, due to all the oxygen that you will get again. You'll look better right away. You'll lose your out of breath feelings and heart palpitations. I got fat but it went away again when my metabolism equalized. It can make you grumpy at first but I don't think that will be much of a problem for you, Wackybunny, because you seem like a naturally sweet person! Good luck!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Aw, thanks gaffo. I am looking forward to the benefits, especially the freedom from craving, obsession. It's disarmingly easy for far. I have the lozenges and the techniques I honed quitting weed. So far day 1 without cigs is nothing in comparison to day 1 without weed. But we'll see what happens when AV figures out what I'm doing and starts to freak out.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

great job , WB !!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, rock on wackybunny!! You can do this.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Doing it!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Day 8 of Stoptober! You know, for some reason this thread was the thing that made me say "Oct 1st is going to be my date". First time in my whole life that I picked a date (for cigarettes) and stuck with it. CRAZY!

I've had lozenges so I'm still getting some nicotine. While they take the edge off the withdrawal symptoms, no-one is getting fooled, they are still definitely not cigarettes. It's a mental and physical challenge but it's nothing like quitting weed. Almost the opposite. I expected quitting weed to be like this in fact. I have lots of extra energy. I go for a big walk every morning. I find myself wanting to do more. I've even been in a great mood most of the time. Not sure why the quitting experiences are determined to surprise me but there you go.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AWESOME Job, WB !!! You're doing wicked there, gal - really proud of you !!!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

OK, had a moment today that seemed kind of funny. I'm 11 days into quitting cigarettes. I've had 1.8 cigarettes in this time but that's still spectacular (imo). Anyway, there I was searching the back of a drawer looking for forgotten cigarettes stashed away. This was a habit I got into with weed. Man, I cleaned the gaps between the floorboards looking for bits of weed. So there I am going through the drawer. No cigarettes. Oh, but I find a small crumb of weed, nothing to get high with but in the old days I would have smoked it for sure. Today when I found it I was like "oh, just a crumb of weed? No cigarettes?" and I tossed it on the floor without hesitation and carried on searching.

It was good because even in my desperate addict moment I was reminded that at least the desperate addict moments over weed are gone. If I can conquer weed, cigarettes stand no chance.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

11 days is great! You are certainly past the halfway mark of the pure torture phase. Are you still on nicotine or have you given it up altogether? Enjoy your extra ration of pure oxygen WB, you deserve it! Also, treat yourself to something really tasty, that won't taste like an old cig!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I'm going on holiday so won't be checking in for almost two weeks. I won't be around cigarettes or weed or booze so no temptations to worry about. It will the first sober and smoke free holiday ever. Yay, looking forward to it.