Notices

Weed and anxiety

Old 11-28-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It is very important for the parents to stop their kid from getting addicted and making him/her realize that it is wrong. Also parents can play a important role by keeping their child under check. Young kids require parents to listen so that they can share their problems. Kids face a hard time raising their voice but this can be solved if the parents keep an open mind. Do not worry you are doing the right thing, just try and get him off marijuana too.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I found this on SR and thought it might handy here for some to read :

"stages" of recovery
this is from a handout i got years ago. don't know who the author is, so no-one gets the credit, but do know many have said it's been of help to them.
if it's not appropriate here, maybe a moderator can put it where it fits better.

withdrawal stage(1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms. these may include nausea,low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. these symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days, but can last up to several weeks.

early abstinence (4 weeks; follows withdrawal): for people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, and, in many ways, life feels too intense.

protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence): from six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms -difficulties with thoughts and feelings- are caused buy the continual healing process in the brain. this period is called 'The Wall'. it is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. if clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. the most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence. relapse risk goes up during this period. it is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. exercise helps tremendously during this period. for most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

readjustment (2 months; follows protracted abstinence):after five months, the brain has recovered substantially. now the client's main task is developing a life that has fulfilling activities that support continued recovery. because cravings occur less often and feel less intense, clients may be less aware of relapse risk and put themselves in high-risk situations and increase their relapse risk.

avoiding relapse drift: relapse does not happen without warning, and it usually does not happen quickly. the gradual movement from abstinence to relapse can be subtle and often underestimated. so it often feels as if it happens suddenly. this slow movement away from abstinence can be compared to a ship gradually drifting away from where it was moored. the drifting movement can be so slow that you don't even notice it.

during recovery, people do specific things that keep them abstinent. these activities can be called "mooring lines". try and see what you are doing to keep yourself abstinent. list the mooring lines in a specific way so they are clear and measurable. these activities are the "ropes" that hold recovery in place and prevent relapse drift from happening without being noticed......

(.....here follows a chart of a column to list all specific mooring lines( for example going to gym, reading sobriety stuff, recreational activities, peer support activities et cetera) followed by columns for the days of the week. i don't know how to do charts on the computer, so use your imagination)

it is helpful to complete you mooring lines chart weekly. place a checkmark next to each mooring line that you know is secure and record the date. when two or more items cannot be checked, it may mean that relapse drift is happening. .....blablabla..... use the chart to recognize when you are more likely to relapse and decide what to do to keep this from happening.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

although the above is related to drinking, I think it correlates with quitting pot too. Would you agree, WB from your experience ? Anyone else with seven months totally abstinent agree with the general timeline ? I think it helps people to see what to expect and what is "normal" along the way to full healing. Have a great weekend everyone !
Old 11-29-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Yes, that does pretty much describe my experience, Happy. As I read it I related very much to the depression/lack of enthusiasm, trouble concentrating (almost impossible to think is more like it), and anxiety. The timeline seemed pretty accurate.

One thing I would add for me is that there were bursts of euphoria, starting as early as the first few weeks. They didn't last long but they were a small reward that kept me going. Much fluctuation of symptoms. Like some good days and some terrible days with the bad days lessoning gradually over a long period of time. Then at around 3 - 4 months I felt pretty much fantastic with the odd bad day or morning. It all feels like a distant memory now so I'd have to go back and look at my thread to be totally accurate.

Now (9 months on Nov 2nd), I feel like I've stabilized and the struggle is over. Plus, I didn't really have many cravings past the first few weeks because I was OVER weed and I had started to associate it with the PROBLEM not the SOLUTION!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I must say too that the words "anxiety" and "depression" and "lack of concentration" sound almost clinical/removed when I read them but when I experienced them, they were intense! It's almost like I need to use different words...
Totally miserable lethargic blob of a mess hiding from the world under a blanket, wanting to cry but not having the energy to do so. The world a big scary place full of stuff I no longer care about. Feeling like happiness was just some fake illusion which I would never feel again. Like my brain had shut down and I was shaking from fear because my faculties had deserted me and may not return. All the while kind of excited because I had faith that a new life was coming and every once in a while I'd be filled with the most fabulous ecstasy, smiling from within, waves of tingling excitement because I was FREE!!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

That's just SO awesome to hear, WB ! I'm SO proud of you ! I'm feeling pretty good these days too with the occasional bad day. Still struggling to muster the focus and discipline to tackle a few years of books and accounting - not my favorite thing, but I have to get it done to move on. But it will come - I'm giving myself time and space right now. I've been doing the " five tibetans ( 5 yoga movements) " after my first cup of coffee each morning before I allow myself to have a second cup. Wanting to make it a lifetime Habit ! They've been around forever, only take 10-15 minutes and are called the fountain of youth. I doing them to get my energy and motivation/focus up right now. I may become an instructor in them and do them out on the Island when I get there. And I fully agree with you that pot IS the problem and NOT a solution ! I've been listening to Eckhart Tolle alot too these days - he's my man ! Lots of good things to be grateful for !!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Wow - time flys - nine months already !!! That's just wicked, WB ! It just seems like yesterday when I first met you here - I'm really proud of you and look forward to meeting for a coffee when I come out your way !
Old 11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going WB!

D
Old 11-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Thanks, guys. And Happy, you are doing great too! We started together and look at us now! I don't have it around me, no-one is smoking it outside my door (unlike at your place) and the friends that would bring it over no longer come over. I feel a little sad about losing those friends. I do adore them. Thing is, I got free and I'm running and I can't look back or I might stumble.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I know what mean about friends. I really had to kick someone close out of my life before I knew I could STAY clean and it was tough, but had to be done. This person kept coming back until I had to forcefully tell him to stay away. It hurt to do that, but my health and well being had to come first and he needed to go do what he wanted elsewhere. I am truly grateful to be free of that terrible habit ! My mind is clear, I'm far more present and calm and there's a general Okness with Life right now and I love it ! And like you say, WB , we can't let our guard down - we've fought
too hard for this victory ! I smoked for over 30 years, so this feels like being reborn with some basic awareness of where I want to go from here. Like you saidWB, some subtle excitement as to the unfoldment ahead. There Can be a second chance to live the Life you've always wanted!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's SO great to be FREE of being enslaved to such a negative habit ! I feel so happy about that , in this moment - I just had to say it out loud somewhere ! What better place than here !
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I know it, Happy. Btw, well done for gathering the strength to tell someone you cared about to stay away. That must have been hard. However, it is for the best No matter who they are in our lives, anyone who makes it harder/impossible for us to stop an addiction has to be kept at a distance. We can't live our lives for other people and they're certainly not living theirs for us.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Wacky...

I can sooooooooooooo relate to everything you've stated.

The word 'anxiety' doesn't really do what I've felt - and what I've read of others experiences - justice. People hear the word anxiety and think 'worry', but there's so much more to it than that. I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing that while racing thoughts & worry were a part of anxiety, they were a symptom rather than the cause, and only a small part of the experience. Feeling scared for no reason, waking up in the middle of the night amped up and unable to force the strange dream you just had from your mind, muscles tensed up 24/7, feeling physically ill, ears ringing, heart racing over mild stress... that's my (partial) experience with anxiety.

I could say the same for depression. It's not sadness. Feeling sad is almost a good feeling compared to the lack of genuine emotion withdrawal-related depression brings.

Oh - and the mood swings. Going from that euphoric feeling you mention to depression in the blink of an eye for no discernible reason. Having your complete worldview change in an instant. Feeling positive and motivated one hour and hopeless the next.

Recovery is a like riding a rollercoaster blindfolded. You never know in advance if you're about to go up or down, and have no idea when the ride will end.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Exactly JR. I like how you describe it and that you understand what I mean about words being so mild in comparison to experience. So, speaking of, how are you feeling now? How long has it been now?

I had some awful anxiety a few weeks ago (for the first time since the withdrawal/PAWS days) but I'm back on track now. I don't think it was related to quitting weed (I must be past that by now) but many other factors. Main thing is, I got it under control and am feeling calm and happy again. Diet and exercise are so important to me, as well as enjoying light hearted company of friends and realizing that minor problems are NOT the end of the world, geez.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Haha, just read your post again JR and this made me laugh.

"Recovery is a like riding a rollercoaster blindfolded. You never know in advance if you're about to go up or down, and have no idea when the ride will end."

So true, so true. The ride did end for me, thankfully. Now I just have to make sure not to be an idiot and get back on again.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

having a bit of a rough day today. I'm chalking it up to my poor brain adjusting to not having it's fix. Just got to grind through moments/days like this til the brain fully heals from the abuse I allowed in the past. No worries though, I'm not going near the thing that got me to this spot. Pot is NOT an option ! I'm going to get some fresh air and sun while I shovel the snow. Maybe that'll help lift this agitated state. Just going to ride it out.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Diddo to everything. Last night I was feeling amazing only to wake up this morning with a headache and just an overall lethargic blah feeling. I was sitting in class earlier and all of a sudden got that all to familiar feeling like something was missing and that my mind was tired of reality and needed a break from it.

Strangely enough, I seem to be getting more vulnerable to triggers as I go along. It was easy to equate weed with the withdrawals I was feeling in the beginning which allowed me to firmly say no, but now the thoughts of "you can handle it occasionally" or "it's been so long, imagine how high you'd get if you smoked" scream in my ear whenever I'm anywhere near the crap. I stay away from it a lot more these days.

The anxiety comes and goes. Recently I became very angry watching a news show or talk show or something with two women discussing xanax. One of the women was prescribed it and talked about how she loved life but sometimes liked a little "tranquility". Half of me was yelling at her "you stupid drug addict, learn to live life with a clear head like a person should instead of using a pill to escape. I HOPE you develop a xanax dependency!". The other half of me was jealous of her, wishing that I could take a break from life and my racing thoughts as well, and then wondering if I could/should. The triggers and paralyzing anxiety do seem to fall from the sky without rhyme or reason.

Drugs suck and I've still got a long way to go. On the bright side, I'm now telling myself that there's no way in hell I'm going back after dealing with this crap on what's approaching 3 months now, before I've actually gotten to reap some of the benefits of long-term sobriety. It would be valiant effort and triumph in my life flushed down the toilet like my weed was when I first started.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wackybunny View Post
Exactly JR. I like how you describe it and that you understand what I mean about words being so mild in comparison to experience. So, speaking of, how are you feeling now? How long has it been now?
Going on 10 or 11 weeks... I'll have to check.

I was feeling pretty good a couple weeks back. Anxiety had decreased to the point where I just felt amped up all the time. But then it unexpectedly came back for a bit. Not the first time. Each time it does I'm like:

But then I look through my log, and realize that while it sucks in contrast to the improvements I had made prior, it's still better than where I was at my last anxiety peak. Even though I've felt crappy last week, I did notice two problems (dry eyes, muscle spasms) had pretty much gone away. With any luck they won't come back, but if they do, I'll treat them the same as the other anxiety issues: things that will pass.

Right now this latest wave is tapering off.

FYI - It's easy for me to be cavalier now that I have an idea of what to expect. But the first time I went through this - it scared the hell out of me. I thought I was going insane.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
Diddo to everything. Last night I was feeling amazing only to wake up this morning with a headache and just an overall lethargic blah feeling. I was sitting in class earlier and all of a sudden got that all to familiar feeling like something was missing and that my mind was tired of reality and needed a break from it.

Strangely enough, I seem to be getting more vulnerable to triggers as I go along. It was easy to equate weed with the withdrawals I was feeling in the beginning which allowed me to firmly say no, but now the thoughts of "you can handle it occasionally" or "it's been so long, imagine how high you'd get if you smoked" scream in my ear whenever I'm anywhere near the crap. I stay away from it a lot more these days.

The anxiety comes and goes. Recently I became very angry watching a news show or talk show or something with two women discussing xanax. One of the women was prescribed it and talked about how she loved life but sometimes liked a little "tranquility". Half of me was yelling at her "you stupid drug addict, learn to live life with a clear head like a person should instead of using a pill to escape. I HOPE you develop a xanax dependency!". The other half of me was jealous of her, wishing that I could take a break from life and my racing thoughts as well, and then wondering if I could/should. The triggers and paralyzing anxiety do seem to fall from the sky without rhyme or reason.

Drugs suck and I've still got a long way to go. On the bright side, I'm now telling myself that there's no way in hell I'm going back after dealing with this crap on what's approaching 3 months now, before I've actually gotten to reap some of the benefits of long-term sobriety. It would be valiant effort and triumph in my life flushed down the toilet like my weed was when I first started.
I just sat here shaking my head up & down to everything you had to say.
I really enjoy your posts, racing.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I would say according to the stages of recovery, what you're experiencing and myself is all a natural part of the process of our brains healing. Our chemistry is changing, rewiring itself and that's a good thing. So, for me, I am learning through all this NOT to fuel the thoughts/emotions that come up that are uncomfortable.I acknowledge the feeling and I say to myself that " my brain is healing " and that any emotion I have is OK - it won't kill me and it will pass. Then I distract myself with something, like today getting out in the fresh air and sun. It passed. I'm learning to " be the space" for these changes that my brain is going through. And I try not to go into the "future" around pot - just here now. Can I be the "space" for what is present now ? I have found that things/emotions tend to change easier this way. Just what doing, for what it's worth RT.

You're right on schedule, RT !

protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence): from six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms -difficulties with thoughts and feelings- are caused buy the continual healing process in the brain. this period is called 'The Wall'. it is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. if clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. the most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence. relapse risk goes up during this period. it is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. exercise helps tremendously during this period. for most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

readjustment (2 months; follows protracted abstinence):after five months, the brain has recovered substantially. now the client's main task is developing a life that has fulfilling activities that support continued recovery. because cravings occur less often and feel less intense, clients may be less aware of relapse risk and put themselves in high-risk situations and increase their relapse risk.