Notices

Pot & Me

Old 08-16-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I smoked heavily for almost 6 years. I only recently decided it was more important to find a good job so I could help my family. The last time I smoked because I had already drank far too much and was very upset, drove 50 mins to a town to meet an old friend and get high in a Lowes parking lot.

Nobody can make you do what you don't want to do. I'm just glad that I know now what I really want to do, and that's to find my way to a life where I am not letting drugs/alcohol make decisions for me.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too LastMistake

D
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I never thought about marijuana being a problem for me until I decided I was ready to stop drinking. Alcohol and weed both go together for me.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Dee. And a belated thanks for helping create this forum, it's a great addition to SR!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Weed can really get one down when smoked a lot. I think if one can just say no for a week or so the obsession vanishes rather quickly vs other substances. This is from my experience. Could be different for others. I met a young lady in aa today that had weed problems. All I could tell her was the sun will come up tomorrow and you will be ok. Any advice?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Just wanted to say, I've been free of weed for 2 weeks today. It's been an amazingly challenging time but I think I'm in the clear (for now...).

Garry
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good for you Garry
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Garry

Hi and welcome Jason - it's had to suggest something for someone else. If she asks you for help, you could always direct her here?

D
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Wow Garry, that is awesome! I know it's not easy believe me. Well done with sitting with the uncomfortable feelings. Now the good times are coming.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Garry that is fabulous - 2 weeks! We're proud of your accomplishment.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wackybunny View Post

One thing I noticed today is that I'm not second guessing myself all the time. I used to never really believe in myself (the old pot hazed anxious brain) but now I'm thinking clearly, trusting my own judgement, getting stuff done and seeing results. Yet another benefit of quitting. If only I had known this 20 years ago who knows what I'd have achieved.
Yes!!! I can trust my own judgement now, which I never could do before. I used to constantly ask myself "Am I delusional about this, am I being taken advantage of or manipulated, am I paranoid?"

Thank you for reminding me of this wonderful benefit of a clear mind.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wackybunny View Post
full of arty intentions which seemed more profound at the time than they do looking back at them. Also, it added to my frustration because it was harder to execute that which I had envisioned when I was stoned and muddled and over-thinking.

I used to love to get stoned and do art, like photography. I would spend hours coming up with these elaborate plans and all of these details to get the perfect shots. Then when I got the pictures developed they were always terrible!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Garry. That is huge, keep going!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello,

I am curious, and with all due respect, would like to know if Pot was the problem or part of the problem. I see posts mentioning gambling and my arch nemesis alcohol.
I know several people who use Pot instead of alcohol and claim it helped with the quit.
I know several people who's lives have been improved by vaporizing the plant for glaucoma and pain management vs prescription pills.

Has anyone here quit alcohol and smoked Pot instead, never going back to alcohol?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Hello,

I am curious, and with all due respect, would like to know if Pot was the problem or part of the problem. I see posts mentioning gambling and my arch nemesis alcohol.
I know several people who use Pot instead of alcohol and claim it helped with the quit.
I know several people who's lives have been improved by vaporizing the plant for glaucoma and pain management vs prescription pills.

Has anyone here quit alcohol and smoked Pot instead, never going back to alcohol?
I don't know about quitting alcohol. For me, pot was the problem. I used to use alcohol to quit pot but it would only be a day or two before I switched back. I did finally quit pot and this time I made sure I stayed away from alcohol (so I didn't quickly become alcoholic). I think the biggest part of the battle was getting it through my head that I didn't need to alter my natural state. It's not one drug or the other, it's none. I can't speak to the medical use of pot because I have never used it for medical reasons.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Hello,

Maybe, but most of the addicts I know have a problem with dealing with reality, not with any particular substance. I have a friend who quit drinking for a long time, then tried some weed. After a little while, she realized that the weed wasn't really doing it for her and why was she messing around with it when it wasn't giving her the buzz she really wanted. Well, then she relapsed on alcohol. I'm no expert on this subject, it's just one example.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll be struggling to find folks here who'll tell you that smoking pot to get over another addiction is a good idea thisisme.

I wasn't much of a drinker until I hit my mid 20s but I skidded off the road and crashed my life on pot as much as I did on alcohol (and reintroducing pot) later.

If you've shown you already have an addictive propensity I think there are a load of better choices you could make now rather than self medication, and especially self medication with pot.

D
Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for creating this thread! I'm 102 days clean from booze and 32 from weed. Both have a powerful hold in me, I was addicted to pot first, and first started drinking when I turned 21 and would run out of weed and just needed something....something...something, so I started drinking. Also discovered that the buzz was more extreme when I binged on both. I used to rationalize my drinking, and just say, if only I could have enough pot, I wouldn't drink. But I've spent time in San Francisco, in centeral america, when I was around all the weed I could ever want to smoke, and was still drinking excessively, and to dangerous amounts. I've had to accept I'm completely powerless over both substances. I've stolen peoples weed, and I hate myself for it...that I've been sneaky, that when I've wanted to get high I've looked through people's stuff and helped myself...when I do have access to weed, I can't moderate at all and just smoke all day, waking up super early to start smoking. Any of the "rules" I've tried to set myself go out the window. Just like the first beet gets me drunk...as long as I don't pick up, I do t end up drinking, but once I do start drinking it's so powerful and I can't stop. So it's just a lot simpler to never take that first drink.

I can accept that with booze; accepting that I have to abstain from pot has been. Ore difficult....however, now that I'm more then a month clean, I'm "getting" it. The cravings have passed, except when I'm really frazzled,Pms-Img etc. Fortunately I don't have the money or access right now. I mean if I really wanted it, I would find it, but I've made it difficult for myself.

Also I'm very pro legalization, I have a friend with leukemia who is using it medicinally...just like normal people can handle their beer, some people can handle their weed. I'm an addict, so I can't, and those two substances are my DOC. Anyway thanks for reading, that's all I got for now, thanks so much for the marijuana addiction forum! I just downloaded e marijuana anonymous app on my smart phone, too. I'm taking my recovery very, very importantly right now, I can't go back to wasting my life in a stoned, hungover haze!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Elizabeth

D
Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome Elizabeth and congratulations on your clean time! That is truly awesome.

I stole herb from my friends, too. It was usually when they were helping me out with weed anyways, but if they left the room, I would steal some of their stash, too.