Notices

Why so many different fellowships?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why so many different fellowships?

I've only ever been to AA meetings, but recently I've taken a job where I'm working with a lot more addicts than alcoholics. Through that I'm being exposed to NA, but also learning that there's CA, HA, CMA, etc.

I had no idea there were so many different fellowships, and I'm curious if there's a particular reason why. My AA meetings also have drug addicts that come and share without issue, but I can see some areas that NA would cover that AA wouldn't as much. But is there really that much of a difference between use of specific drugs that different meetings would be required? Alcohol was my main issue, but really my drug of choice was whatever was in front of me. The underlying addiction seems to be the same regardless of the substance.

I'm just curious and would love some insight. I'm not knocking any of these programs. If they're helping people get/stay clean and sober I'm glad they're there!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It makes me curious, too, since our diseases and solutions seem so similar and having all these different fellowships I feel leads to more separation than togetherness in recovery. But I think it does help the newbie identify with others. Yet I can't help but wonder if people get way too focused on identification after Step 1 and stay focused on the problem.

I completely agree with what you wrote "the underlying addiction seems to be the same regardless of the substance [or behavior]." My AA meeting also has drug addicts. I have no experience with drugs, but substitute "drugs" or whatever the substance/behavior for "alcohol" and to me our underlying stories are all pretty similar.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The NA literature is very clear why NA was formed years after AA, and how some addicts just couldn't recover in AA. But I have been to enough AA meetings to know some members got clean in NA and after years of abstinence, they joined AA, and found more relief.

I prefer NA because I feel more comfortable talking about me, and where I'm at.

I make 3 NA meetings a week and 2 AA. I have a support network in both fellowships. But like some old timers say (and I don't agree with this right now) "one disease, one fellowship, one sponsor" so I only read NA literature and have an NA sponsor. But this is my life, where I feel comfortable and loved years from now is my choice.

Similar to what Centered said, it's easier for people to identify and talk in certain fellowships. I love NA, but struggle putting down the cigarettes here, so I may check out Nicotine Anonymous one day. I mean, technically I could take a burning desire over a cigarette, but not really. Like I want to mention some things about my insanity and laugh about some of the things I do for the next cigarette one day with a group of people.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Where I live many of the AA meetings specify we are only to discuss our problems with alcohol. I attend NA and AA when I need to check myself. Recovery dates are always hard on me so I will be hitting an NA meeting this week.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Riverbird this topic has been discussed many many times .

AA GA NA CA O A SEX ADDICTS , saw somewhere while back ''lip balm anonymous ? '' .

Main fact for me is purely 'identification '' first and foremost identification makes one realize they are not unique or alone and basically listening to someones recovery gives them lots of hope and that they too can recover .

I know AA has a ''singleness of purpose '' which works very well if ''adhered to '' unfortunately some addicts from alcoholics to drugs for example want their cake and eat it so to say, and want to discuss their problems under the one roof . Long term this does not work I could give you lots of examples , lets say Gambler cannot relate to an Alcoholic or Drug/ Cocaine Addict or Over Eater or Sex Addict , of course some are twin addicted or more and I know that there is a fellowship called All Addictions Anonymous . It is much better if it can be kept simple as possible , you don't go to the Optician with toothache

Personally I believe alcoholism is different from other addictions but that is neither here or there . Fact is the AA 12 Step Program works for all addictions if one really works at it .

Don't think it is a big burden if twin/multi addicted to go to different fellowships until one is really settled, and when that happens perhaps they will settle in the one they feel most comfortable in .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Main fact for me is purely 'identification '' first and foremost identification makes one realize they are not unique or alone and basically listening to someones recovery gives them lots of hope and that they too can recover .
I recall a woman from over eaters anonymous asked to sit in an AA meetings. She shared in desperation about eating an entire cake the previous night. The poor woman was really distraught.

Yet I couldn't identify with the over eating but over eating has never been much an issue for me.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

This can be a loaded topic.

History is probably a large part of it. AA was formed first, and all other 12 step fellowships use the steps. In fact, that's how the program works.

Perhaps some of it is pure tribalism. Sometimes people may want to be exclusive and form their own group, and sometimes they may not want "different" people in theirs.

Some people identify at the level of what substance they used. I prefer to identify at what I consider the root cause of the problem, which to me is a spiritual malady that we attempted to fix with what seemed to work the best - a drug of one form or another. Alcohol, pot, heroin, cocaine, opioids, benzos, etc. To me it really doesn't matter.

I have plenty of friends in NA that if you asked me what drugs they used, I really wouldn't know. Yet we identify with the desperation and isolation of addiction entirely.

Page 14 of the NA "It works How and Why" in the discussion of the 1st step talks about the tendency of our addiction to manifest itself in other ways. Food, sex, gambling, whatever. In NA we don't change our clean date due to those things, but we become honest about how they make our lives unmanageable and why we are engaging in them. We address our addictions in the order that they are killing us.

I quit smoking the same way I quit drugs (including alcohol). One day at a time and the steps. At the moment I'm having a bit of an issue with ice cream and the first step!

If I go to NA I identify myself as an addict. If I go to AA I identify myself as an alcoholic. I was taught to respect the traditions of the fellowship that I am in.

At the end of the day, getting loaded is getting loaded, and recovery is recovery. I have a good friend I got clean with who moved to an area where there is almost no NA, so he goes to AA. Big deal. I've been to a bunch of AA meetings when I am in a place where there isn't an NA meeting available. Same 12 steps.