Notices

Mental health time

Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental health time

How do you spend your "mental health time?" I have off tomorrow till Sunday. I have no plans whatsoever, although I will probably see my mom and my dad during that time at some point. For a few hours each, not anything big. No plans on T Day (which- YES- is depressing, but I have no choice but to get over it at this point.)

I want to make the most of my time, but I'm not sure what to do. Keep in mind I don't really have any friends atm so that's not really an option. I will reach out to the people I do know, but some won't get back to me at all (some friend, right?!) and the others may be out of town for the holidays.

So, I don't really know what to do, but I do know I need to take the time to get my head together for things coming up in my life.

I just want to use this icon because it's cool:

Old 11-25-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No advice here, just jealous of those spared of T Day plans. I've always considered this a gun-to-the-head American holiday. Outside of the film Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I will see this glorified meal in hell.

Clear your head, good luck.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, I feel pretty sad that I have nowhere to go. It's the first holiday after a family falling out. I still talk to my mom, but she is working.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by alaina742 View Post
How do you spend your "mental health time?" I have off tomorrow till Sunday.

So, I don't really know what to do, but I do know I need to take the time to get my head together for things coming up in my life.

Why don't ya focus on this? Can you purchase some books and read? Maybe some self help book and take notes as ya do. Kinda journal helpful items for you and these things coming up in your life you refer to.

You could go for walks and venture. If it is cold where you are you could go to a mall and just people watch. There will be tons of loonies out, itll be fun, lol.

Also, you could go for a nice dinner on Thanksgiving alone. There will be lots of people there in the same boat as you and maybe strike up a conversation with someone else who is sad because they are alone on the holidays and as a bonus you will most likely make their day.

Also, if you are in recovery you could find some sort of AA event that will most likely be going on part of the day.

Watch TV, take a bubble bath, stay on SR, surf the web YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT Don't take this time alone as something sad. Look at it as a chance to grow This too shall pass.

Being alone is not a bad thing if you like the person you are with. For a successful recovery you have to get to that point. Start practicing with this blessing of time off
Old 11-25-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I might just show up at the Salvation Army across the river. I mean, why not? I'm sure they won't turn away a volunteer and it will make me feel better.

I'm also going to visit my dad in the nursing home. Sooo sad
Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
learning to live

There ya go... Volunteering will be great!

Your dad will be SO happy to see you