Notices

Wellbutrin?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin?

Anyone here take Wellbutrin? I have some questions about side effects.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Each person has their own reaction to drugs.

One person may tolerate it with no side effects, the next may experience everything on the list.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use Wellbutrin with good results. SSRI anti-depressants like zoloft, Prozac, etc knock me out too much. Your doc may have to trial and error to see what is best for you.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was being pushed for ADHD when I tried it years ago.

It made me feel speedy and edgy. Also had a toxic feeling 'taste' to it inside like that left over ick from cocaine that lingers for days after use.

Don't know how it effects depression. Its useless for ADD.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Wellbutrin with somewhat good result. At low dose, I had energy but when they increased it I had panic attacks so I stayed at low dose with another anti-depressant. The panic attacks was so bad. I felt like there was something wrong but I didn't know what and it was scary.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Everyone's reaction to these drugs is different. I'm on the generic bupropion. No side affects. No bad moods.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression which it does seem to be helping. But I also suffer from anxiety and my dr warned it could increase my anxiety. I can't tell if it has because I am going through something really stressful right now and I am feeling especially anxious.

The issues I am having with the med is the physical side effects I've experienced so far (one month in). Muscle aches and jittery hands and arms have been the most noticeable. Also suppressed appetite. Again, I am having a personal crisis so it could be attributed to that as well.

Has anyone experienced any of these? Did you find that some of your side effects decreased or went away in time?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope7726 View Post
I was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression which it does seem to be helping. But I also suffer from anxiety and my dr warned it could increase my anxiety. I can't tell if it has because I am going through something really stressful right now and I am feeling especially anxious. The issues I am having with the med is the physical side effects I've experienced so far (one month in). Muscle aches and jittery hands and arms have been the most noticeable. Also suppressed appetite. Again, I am having a personal crisis so it could be attributed to that as well. Has anyone experienced any of these? Did you find that some of your side effects decreased or went away in time?
I have been on Wellbutrin for a while now. In the beginning there was a period of anxious feeling, but it went away. It is known to decrease appetite, not mine of course. I also take Zoloft at night before bed. I honestly don't have any side effects to speak of. It may just take you time for your body to adjust. Hope I helped!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

I took this a while back to see if it would help with my ADHD. No way. It didn't help at all. I take Vyvanse now. It's much better. A little pricier since they don't make a generic kind of it, but it works very well. I've been taking it for a few years now.

Now, I'm looking for something to replace my anti-depressants. The one I'm on hasn't been working well. I was thinking about going back to Lexapro. Anyone been on that one?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered

Wellbutrin was the only drug that helped me. I don't have a serotonin problem, so SSRIs just made me ill. Wellbutrin is a norepi and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. When I started taking it, I could have been left on a deserted island with it and I would have been happy. It was that profound of a change for me after trying all the different meds and having them fail.

Side effects were mild for me (insomnia, jitters) but went away after a month or two.

Everyone is different. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wellbutrin helped me and without side effects, good luck!! it literally saved me, although my doc said it takes a month to 'kick in' fully
Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin worked wonders for the first 2 weeks I was taking it. I was wearing make up every day, wearing my hair down, TAKING CARE OF MYSELF. I also had more energy, I woke up feeling rested. After that all the good things went away. Now I stopped taking it and can't tell any difference. My doctor is trying to rule out a Vitamin D deficiency which she feels may be why I can't focus..... idiot. I have ADHD and depression yet this is the only thing they have tried for me since August. Every time I went to meet with my counselor he would somehow bring up my sister and my boyfriend... I am so sick of talking about other people. I just feel like no one is listening to me. It's frustrating. Side effects I had the first 2 weeks were: dry mouth, anorexia, anxiety, jittery, smoking cessation, nausea, insomnia, DEPRESSION (I ended up cutting myself, something I used to do as a teenager and I only did once since then). After 2 weeks I had no more side effects. I did stop smoking so I guess that was the only thing that remained a positive out of it. It didn't help me focus though, I was quite disappointed because that's been affecting my work. My counselor also tried to refer me to the drug counseling department which was completely inappropriate... The last time I used any drugs was 7 years ago and I did them occasionally as a teenager for fun, I'M NOT AN ADDICT. I work as a nurse at a drug rehab, I don't have an addictive personality... another reason I feel like no one is listening to me when I'm paying $100s to get help.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been taking it for quite a while. As others have said it can sometimes make people feel speedy and can also cause problems with anxiety attacks. To remedy these problems work with your pdoc and taper dosage down. It worked well for me.

The positives on this medications are huge!! Don't like to get fat? This is one of the few anti-depressants that really helped me keep my weight down.

Trying to quit smoking? I was smoking and was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression. I noticed myself forgetting to light cigarettes all the time. It definitely reduced the desire and if your starting Wellbutrin it's an excellent to dump the ciggs.

Don't want to become impotent? This is the antidepressant that not only didn't cause impotence it seemed to increase sexual desire.

As always your mileage will vary. Out of tons of meds I have been on for BP2 & all the other stuff beforehand Wellutrin is one of the very few that did not cause me to gain weight like gangbusters and it definitely has not caused impotence. Sadly most of the other meds cause these problems.

Be careful of what you read in clinical trials. My doc had reported real low % rates on some serious problems per a clinical trial. But I found out they simply had not been reported by patients because the clinical was not designed to prove/disprove those problems. Only if a patient decided to report a problem do they appear. How many people (especially men) honestly report impotence. I think you get the picture.

I am not a doctor and am not trying to give any medical advice but am simply reporting my experiences with some of the medications we are prescribed.

Talk to your pdoc in detail about these type of issues. Make a list of questions to ask and don't let him get away until all your questions are answered.

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was on it for ADD and had some crazy mood swings.... Extreme anger turned to depression on the daily. I tend to have the anger side effect a lot with drugs though.