Notices

Dr. Appt

Old 09-29-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm piping up with the others in favor of considering a new physician, although - remember - you do not have to do this today!

I have a doctor that I absolutely love, and it means a lot to me because I share more openly with her, feel cared for, and know that as our relationship grows, her ability to care for me effectively increases.

2 thoughts -

You are of the age to be finishing, in, or entering menopause. Hormonal shifts also can cause depression. I imagine that her request that you have a gyno appointment is related to this. I couldn't tell from your post whether this appointment was with the same doc, but there's certainly no reason for that. I do understand the referral though, because rather than an anti-depressant, if it is related to stage of life, a hormone based approach might make sense.

You talked about your isolation. This is an even bigger reason to be doing either individual therapy or a support group (12-step or others). I'm glad she mentioned AA, but I sure wish doctors would mandate involvement with support groups or a therapist when prescribing drugs to patients who are in emotional turmoil.

Last, I agree with whoever suggested that alcohol abuse could greatly contribute to the depression. It may be a long road of various docs and meds and doses to find the pharmaceutical solution to the depression. While you're doing that, throw yourself into sobriety in a 12 step program! You'll meet people, get out of the house, meet others who deal with depression, quit drinking, get physically stronger and healthier, find folks who can refer you to a good doctor, and basically build yourself a great community in a new place. Then, a year or two from now, you'll be you with a year or two sober. You may still have your other problems and issues, but that'll be something that has changed you and which you could be very proud of!!