Notices

Officially Off Effexor!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I recently came off AD's. The biggest challenge of it has been a flood of emotions and anxiety over my past drunken misdeeds that didn't seem to bother me as much while I was medicated. Insomnia and nightmares were plaguing me for a couple weeks cuz it was hard to turn off my thoughts. All part of the process I guess.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope you eventually become less tormented, Wastinglife. I'm sure the passage of time will help. What's done is done. All we have is the present and the future. You will make them count for good. I'm sorry you are suffering.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rapidly cycling sweating and chills.

Nausea.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Took a doctor-approved sllep aid to get to sleep. Woke up often during the night, but slept a full 8 hours. Teeth "buzzing" feeling and slight headache today.

Totally discombobulated this morning (not unusual)--am risking a cup of coffee.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've noticed a very distant headachy feeling some mornings but never enough to treat or even comment on. It fades fast for me. Coffee has had no reaction with bupropion for me.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have a wicked headache now, and I know it's from the Effexor withdrawal. That's probably the most talked-about side effect.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I'm on an SNRI(?) as well, Lexapro. I went on it in early May, and 2.5 months later I am feeling so much better. Light years difference in anxiety. Among the side effects, alas, is weight GAIN. I've gained about 6-7 lbs but I don't have any weight issues so it's more of an annoying vanity issue than anything.

Glad to hear you're making progress and speaking with the doctor to find the right solution for you! Hope everyone in the mental health forum follows suit and sees their doc.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I was hesitant to post here, but here goes... I'm just trying to get ON Effexor. It's been 12 days on it now and it seems like I'm getting lots of the known side effects, so far nothing else I could detect really. But it's quite early. First two days I felt so nauseous and sick that I could eat almost nothing, then that got better.

Then a couple days with crazy racing thoughts and states that I can probably describe best as a sort of derealization/depersonalization state - I did have these years ago, induced by another drug, along with panic attacks etc. These may be probably most expected, as it's common that these drugs increase anxiety initially.

Now in the past 2 days these^ dissipated somewhat (still come and go) and now I just could not sleep almost at all, or when I could for like 30 mins, would have the weirdest dreams while not even fully asleep. Plus a constant dull headache, and I rarely have headaches.

I discussed these with my doctor and therapist of course, they are actually very nice checking on me often even if I don't call. We agreed on trying it a bit longer, I am on a very low dose as well.

Good to hear the good news from some of you!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Went for a walk. Blurry vision, very light-headed.

Day three of all the way off.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi guys,

I was hesitant to post here, but here goes... I'm just trying to get ON Effexor. It's been 12 days on it now and it seems like I'm getting lots of the known side effects, so far nothing else I could detect really. But it's quite early. First two days I felt so nauseous and sick that I could eat almost nothing, then that got better.

Then a couple days with crazy racing thoughts and states that I can probably describe best as a sort of derealization/depersonalization state - I did have these years ago, induced by another drug, along with panic attacks etc. These may be probably most expected, as it's common that these drugs increase anxiety initially.

Now in the past 2 days these^ dissipated somewhat (still come and go) and now I just could not sleep almost at all, or when I could for like 30 mins, would have the weirdest dreams while not even fully asleep. Plus a constant dull headache, and I rarely have headaches.

I discussed these with my doctor and therapist of course, they are actually very nice checking on me often even if I don't call. We agreed on trying it a bit longer, I am on a very low dose as well.

Good to hear the good news from some of you!
H,

You may very well have good luck with Effexor. The problem with this med is in order to stay on it long enough to see if it works for you (IMO, 4-6 weeks) means you will have to taper to discontinue if it doesn't. The good news about venlafaxine is when it works, it usually WORKS!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I can attest to that. I was on it successfully for 16 years!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys, for the info and encouragement. We'll see. I'm up for the challenge of trying it properly, otherwise what would be the point. I actually feel much better this afternoon, it's the best in the past 12 days now.

Have a good day, everyone
Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Very bad day today. I was in a situation in which I had to wait and grin and bear it--and pressured from another side to make things happen. I could feel myself getting wrapped tighter and tighter--then one straw broke the camel's back and I went OFF! I was berating innocent people and dropping the F-bomb right and left! Then I had to run out of a packed room in disgrace!

I almost cried, though. I could feel the shame and remorse. I almost cried.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was on Celexa after my son was born, so 13 years ago now. I had postpartum depression. I wasn't on meds long, maybe 3 months at most I think. Just enough to get me to stop having the horrible thoughts you have with PPD.

Then I had PPD after baby #2 and baby #3. In hindsight, I wish I had gone on ADs again. Instead I self-medicated with vodka/gin/rum. Big mistake.

The ADs seem much easier to get off of than the alcohol problem I created for myself.

Good luck Gilmer!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you. i did end up sobbing later, and it was really cathartic.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh no, G! That must have been so difficult.....I completely understand. Don't be too hard on yourself...your brain is a wee bit fragile right now.

Give yourself a hug. I hope tomorrow is a better day!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks, Boudicca. I'll be turning in early tonight.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Fitful sleep because I was so deeply shaken yesterday. Woke up at 4 with a big headache.

Had 1 small cup of coffee (not my regular large cup) to kill the headache. I have decided to taper down on the coffee, which I have never been able to do before; now, however, I am not enjoying the flavor so much and I am affected by it. Tomorrow I will have 1/2 cup, then the next day 1/4 cup--then no more. If I get a headache, I get a headache.

I was a little bit spacey when I took my 45-minute walk today, but not as much as usual. Tongue feels a little numb. In a very placid mood, I am thankful to say.

Of course, I have been completely alone without irritants (fellow humans) around!

I'll post in the evening to report on how the day went.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hope the day goes well, friend. Good luck with the caffeine taper.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you, Boudicca.