Notices

Dissociative identity disorder

Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am extremely knowledgeable about DID and while I know that we don't give medical advice here - I did work as part of a DID think tank of medical professionals for years where we did a great deal of research. My purpose for mentioning this here is to lend some strength to my conclusion that you have gotten some excellent input here. In particular:

Originally Posted by Zanzibar
Does it feel to you that you've somehow become different since you walked into that office yesterday? Cause personally I think you're still the same Jeni. The only thing different is that you now understand better and have an answer for yourself.
would be a great thought to keep in mind as you go forward. You will be okay.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thankyou for your support. I'm still struggling to come to terms with this. But yes, I will be ok.

I have resisted the big urge to scream and cry that this isn't fair and to hate those responsible for causing this to be a part of my life. Fact is, this is just the way it is. I don't have to like it. I'm very scared of what this might mean for me and I've lost the little trust I had in myself. But, I will deal with it because I've come too far to turn back now.

You've all been so helpful. Lyoness, your post was great and really made me see things in a more positive light. X
Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jeni,

I scribbled my last post (can one actually scribble-type?) while I was on hold with one of the 472 government offices I had to call today. I'm done for now and so let me say those things I didn't have the time to say in that post.

We all have sub-personalities. Seriously. The business hat, the mom hat, etc. You can often tell who someone is talking to on the phone simply by the tone of their voice. I can tell if my wife is talking to a man or a woman immediately for instance. So, folks with DID are simply over achievers in that area.

Secondly, I am in recovery and have been clean and sober over 21 years. (in a row, nights and weekends too ) I am the happiest person I know thanks to this recovery lifestyle and the tools I have learned. One of the things that I have done - and I've got an entire sponsor tree (my sponsee's and their sponsee's and theirs) who credit a technique I utilized - as being one of the most powerful healing tools in their box. That was, simply put, to do the steps (and I am not advocating one method over another - just explaining mine) for each of the sub-personalities.

For example, we all have a little kid inside of us - not necessarily to the extent of someone with DID but it exists nonetheless. The term 'inner-child' was coined for this purpose. Well, my inner child did the steps too - allowing her, her own voice, her own importance, and her own individuality. I did likewise with any and all personalities I could identify and an integration of my own occurred. Each still has a voice, but we work together and that togetherness became a path to my higher power which, as an atheist, was pretty tough to find.

I couldn't have found a higher power without trying to create the conditions which are inherent in you. I couldn't have found lasting recovery or the deep abiding peace and happiness I have found in life. We all have things about us that make us special. We can look at it as a positive or a negative - I believe that there is both in everything.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thankyou Legna. I honestly can't think of anything clever to say, I can't get my head around this at the moment but I will keep your suggestions for when my mind is clearer and able to absorb them a bit. I do appreciate your words x
Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

legna, thanks for sharing your experience with doing the steps with each of your sub personalities. I'll have to think about that. I think I've done some of that automatically, but not intentionally, and being intentional might make a heap of a difference.

Jeni...hugs...it's ok to scream at life as long was we make up with it and keep working with it to make good things happen.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Thankyou for your support. I'm still struggling to come to terms with this. But yes, I will be ok.

I have resisted the big urge to scream and cry that this isn't fair and to hate those responsible for causing this to be a part of my life. Fact is, this is just the way it is. I don't have to like it. I'm very scared of what this might mean for me and I've lost the little trust I had in myself. But, I will deal with it because I've come too far to turn back now.

You've all been so helpful. Lyoness, your post was great and really made me see things in a more positive light. X
I am truly grateful if I could help in any way. And I have to thank the people I've known with DID for helping me to learn a lot and to heal.

I'm a big believer in having all my feelings when I can. And I think you might find it really helpful and appropriate to go ahead and scream and cry and say this isn't fair. It isn't. You don't have to live in those feelings but I think you deserve to allow yourself to have them.

You will restore trust in yourself, too. You just have a new and bigger version of yourself now. It took time to learn to trust yourself to this point, just know you can achieve that trust again. The fact that you have done it once shows that you can do so again.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Jeni,

I scribbled my last post (can one actually scribble-type?) while I was on hold with one of the 472 government offices I had to call today. I'm done for now and so let me say those things I didn't have the time to say in that post.

We all have sub-personalities. Seriously. The business hat, the mom hat, etc. You can often tell who someone is talking to on the phone simply by the tone of their voice. I can tell if my wife is talking to a man or a woman immediately for instance. So, folks with DID are simply over achievers in that area.

Secondly, I am in recovery and have been clean and sober over 21 years. (in a row, nights and weekends too ) I am the happiest person I know thanks to this recovery lifestyle and the tools I have learned. One of the things that I have done - and I've got an entire sponsor tree (my sponsee's and their sponsee's and theirs) who credit a technique I utilized - as being one of the most powerful healing tools in their box. That was, simply put, to do the steps (and I am not advocating one method over another - just explaining mine) for each of the sub-personalities.

For example, we all have a little kid inside of us - not necessarily to the extent of someone with DID but it exists nonetheless. The term 'inner-child' was coined for this purpose. Well, my inner child did the steps too - allowing her, her own voice, her own importance, and her own individuality. I did likewise with any and all personalities I could identify and an integration of my own occurred. Each still has a voice, but we work together and that togetherness became a path to my higher power which, as an atheist, was pretty tough to find.

I couldn't have found a higher power without trying to create the conditions which are inherent in you. I couldn't have found lasting recovery or the deep abiding peace and happiness I have found in life. We all have things about us that make us special. We can look at it as a positive or a negative - I believe that there is both in everything.
Thank you legna, a lot of amazing insights there.

You are so right that we all have subpersonalities, too. That thought both helped and challenged me when I was trying to sort out my own level and type of dissociation. Now I consider myself integrated in terms of being DID, but I definitely have a lot of different selves, beliefs, ideas, reactions, etc. Ambivalence is my middle name.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

HI there,

I realize it's been a year or two since this was posted but I wanted to respond anyway. I just want to say, I was diagnosed with D.I.D. 8 months ago and yes it was really scary as much as it was confirming that which I had somehow always known. I still don't know why the diagnosis and the therapeutic process afterwards created so much fear and in some ways a little more chaos than what I was prepared to deal with. But I now believe that it is really just due to a sense of newness that forms as we get to really know more and more of who we are. Much like being drunk and drugged for a really long time, when walking into or waking up to life sober, it can be a bit chilling, but in time, and with continued work, we can truly live more authentically engaged.