Notices

Buprenorphine (Suboxone) as an antidepressant?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buprenorphine (Suboxone) as an antidepressant?

Hello,
I am new to the website and am concerned about my friend, I would like to provide some history. SWIM is 26 and has been struggling with severe depression disorder and generalized anxiety disorder for close to 10 years now. SWIM began self medicating with opiates at the age of 18 (obviously not thinking of the repercussions they may incur in the future.) SWIM has always been extremely resourceful and well read, and very worried about addiction, so SWIM made sure to limit his daily intake of opiates to just enough to relieve the symptoms of his depression and anxiety. After five years of opiate use (mostly Oxycontin, limited to 20mg a day plus numerous other serotonin draining "downers") SWIM decided it was time to quit. Without any support groups or psychiatric help SWIM was able to kick his opiate addiction relatively easily with no noticeable physical withdrawal symptoms. SWIM did however, over the following months, begin to notice a creeping horrible black cloud looming over his/her brain. The cloud finally descended and SWIM fell into a deep depression (suicidal at times.) SWIM got psychiatric help because he/she didn't want to end up like his/her father (who committed suicide in 2007). After 3 weeks on Celexa (unbearable nausea), 3 weeks on Prozac (unbearable nausea), 2 weeks on Lexapro (unbearable nausea) and now 9 months of Effexor (now proving ineffective at the highest dose of 225mg a day) SWIM is now back to square one. SWIM has also been on 3mg of Clonazepam a day for the past 3 years (taken as needed for anxiety/panic attacks) He is unemployed, has no motivation to leave the house, and has sheltered himself in his room looking for an answer to his unending neural deficiency.
SWIM then came across twenty 2mg tablets of Suboxone (not to be confused with Subutex). After reading countless articles and testimonials, plus educating him/herself on any type of interaction Suboxone may have with the meds SWIM was currently taking, addiction potential, and abuse information, he/she decided to try it. Over the next forty days SWIM took one half of a tablet (1mg) a day and went about life as though no depression had ever existed. SWIM was able to cut out both medications being used to treat his/her depression within a week. SWIM had no inclination to indulge in any other mind altering substances like he/she normally would (marijuana & alcohol). SWIM began exercising, applying for jobs, pursuing his/her career in music, was able to enjoy food again, and was able to enjoy the company of others. It has been two weeks now since the last half tablet of Suboxone was ingested. The first week free of Suboxone was uncomfortable, but nothing any worse than the depression SWIM had felt since he/she had stopped opiates in the first place, and now SWIM is right back where he/she started, only after coming off the Suboxone the EXTREMELY uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms associated with both Effexor and Clonazepam kicked in and SWIM was forced to start taking these medications again.
Physicians will not prescribe SWIM Suboxone because it has not been FDA approved for treatment of depression. There are Suboxone doctors that take only a cash fee that SWIM cannot afford. Psychiatrists all refer SWIM to a 12 step program and refuse to prescribe the drug, again, in fear of it not being approved for depression.
Is SWIM just an addict? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Why is Suboxone so controversial in the treatment of anything but opiate addiction when the addictive properties and withdrawal symptoms of both benzodiazepene's AND antidepressants seem equally if not more devastating?
I would be more than happy to provide reading material and resources to anyone in question of the whole situation. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During my active addiction I self-medicated with alcohol and Valium, which made things much, much worse. I strongly suggest getting your friend to a doctor or hospital, going on like this with no medical help is very dangerous.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If they are taking 20 mg of Oxycontin a day for five years, they probably qualify for suboxone. How bad was the depression before the turned to narcotics for a solution? Now they feel awful because they stopped taking it. This is a no brainier, go with Suboxone therapy. If you cant do self pay try adding wellbutrin and an anti-psychotic like resperdal to the mix. You are at the mercy of the American Medical Association. You have to do something that works, where did he come up with the money for the drugs off the street.