Notices

Withdrawal symptoms, how long do they last

Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms, how long do they last

Hi, I was a daily smoker for 12 years. Smoking 2-3 joints per day. This is my 14th day not smoking and I am having severe anxiety attacks. This is so upsetting and worrying for me. I feel terrible. Has anyone else felt like this and if so, how long does this last? I thought I'd be feeling slightly better by now but I'm actually feeling worse?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you able to pinpoint your anxiety?
I tried to quit cold turkey but it didn't work for me. The sudden end was just too much for my body to handle. I lost 15lbs after quitting cold turkey. Too much anxiety, and upset stomach. I bought a one hitter and started taking ONE pull a night just to sleep and calm down my anxiety. I made a 3.5 stretch for a little over 2 weeks, and then called it quits. I'm on day 3 now. Sleeping isn't too bad and my appetite isn't too bad. The anxiety comes and goes, but it was nothing like when I tried to quit abruptly
Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Saints - welcome

I quit cold turkey - weaning down was not possible for me - if it was there, I'd smoke it all.

I'd smoked on and off for 30 years - mostly on. For me the first two weeks were rough and it got better after that. By a month I was feeling ok.

do you have a history of anxiety or is this a new thing?
D
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Saints - welcome

I quit cold turkey - weaning down was not possible for me - if it was there, I'd smoke it all.

I'd smoked on and off for 30 years - mostly on. For me the first two weeks were rough and it got better after that. By a month I was feeling ok.

do you have a history of anxiety or is this a new thing?
D
Hi, thank you for your reply. I don't have a history of anxiety, this is all new to me. I've had a few days feeling OK then it seems to hit me like a ton of bricks again. I was actually awoken out of my sleep on Tuesday night and have felt awful since. I barely ate yesterday and what I did eat I threw back up. I'm feeling a bit better this morning but just scared that I'm going to have another one at any given time. It's especially scary as Im a lone parent with a young child.
I keep telling myself that this feeling won't last forever and it'll pass eventually. I just hope it's soon!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BunRen View Post
Are you able to pinpoint your anxiety?
I tried to quit cold turkey but it didn't work for me. The sudden end was just too much for my body to handle. I lost 15lbs after quitting cold turkey. Too much anxiety, and upset stomach. I bought a one hitter and started taking ONE pull a night just to sleep and calm down my anxiety. I made a 3.5 stretch for a little over 2 weeks, and then called it quits. I'm on day 3 now. Sleeping isn't too bad and my appetite isn't too bad. The anxiety comes and goes, but it was nothing like when I tried to quit abruptly
Hi thank you for your reply. I can't pinpoint unfortunately. It actually woke me up out of my sleep on Tuesday night and I've felt awful since. Although I am feeling a bit better this morning thankfully. As I'm now on day 15 of not smoking I don't really want to go back to it so I'm just trying to fight through it for now. I know it'll pass eventually but I thought it would've eased by now however, I feel like it's getting worse. I will get through this and I will never smoke again!! Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If its a new thing chances are it will dissipate with time - in the meantime there's tons of support here

D
Old 03-16-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If its a new thing chances are it will dissipate with time - in the meantime there's tons of support here

D
Thank you 😊 this just makes me more determined to never smoke again!!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Years ago I went from a chronic smoker for years, to fully quit when I finally went broke and didn't have a job/money for months.

And I had no ill effects, I just missed it. And I had no friends to hangout with, or family or anything.

So thats was that. I just ran out, then I missed being high, but I had an idiot box to watch, and that was it, life went on.

I didn't like being stoned in public, so I didn't need it for social reasons. I suppose some people want for more than boredom, and that can lead to "withdrawal" type problems. But not me.

I had general depression, but I never counted that really, IDK.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I had some depression, anxiety and sleeping problems when I quit, but they go away with time. Actually all of that withdrawal has kept me from wanting to go back. I don't want to go through it all over again. Stick with it. You will get over it.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I had some depression, anxiety and sleeping problems when I quit, but they go away with time. Actually all of that withdrawal has kept me from wanting to go back. I don't want to go through it all over again. Stick with it. You will get over it.
Thanks for your reply. I'm almost at 3 weeks now and I genuinely don't miss it at all. It was time to quit, just wasn't expecting the severe anxiety attacks! I've completely changed my lifestyle, went back to the gym, eating more healthy etc and I've felt a bit better the past couple of days so I'm hoping it's going to get better from here on in 😊