Notices

Sleep Paralysis

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zanabanana View Post
Oh my goodness! I so had this sleep paralysis just this morning. I can't believe it. I wonder since I have stopped drinking if this is going to be an ongoing thing. Since I won't just pass out now, my brain is going to go whack-a-do. I can already tell.
I am prone to it by nature, I think. Have had it since childhood with variable frequency. Usually when I did not drink for one day/night, I would have it that night almost like clockwork. Also had it on a few nights during detox when I sobered up 6 months ago, but since then very infrequently - sobriety definitely helps in this regard. If you have not experienced it before, probably it's just part of withdrawal and it's likely to go away. For me (and for many people) stress is usually a trigger.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

I would have sleep paralysis off and on when I wasn't drinking. It wasn't all the time at all. When I don't drink, I get it a lot more often but not as much. This morning was the first time in a long time. Let's hope the more I don't drink, the less this will happen.

One day at a time.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

I had this really bad years ago before my alcoholism it was awful I got rid of all mirrors in my bedroom and it hasn't come back I have suffered this severely from not being able to move/speak to literally feel like I'm spinning in the room at speed

It is truly terrifying
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had a tremendous case of sleep paralysis when I was withdrawaling from H back in February. It literally lasted for hours. I had had it once before that during a previous withdrawal or else I would have probably panicked. I did take an Ambien and had slept very little in the prior days, which may have been why it was so strong. On other nights that I had it the paralysis would only last for 30 minutes tops.

The best way that I could describe it was that my mind was fully awake, but my body fell asleep. I thought it was just in my head at first and realized that it wasn't when I tried to move my arm. When I tried moving it with all my 'mental energy' I could feel the tip of my index finger twitch, but that was it. Also, I could open my eyes, and look around the room. I was coherent enough to be able to look at the clock (when my body decided to turn over on the left side) and know that my alarm would be going off at a certain time. Then I knew that my 'body' would wake up. I really didn't mind it because I was dopesick and I couldn't feel the pain in my legs anymore. Also, I didn't have to deal with the sensation of needing to kick my legs. All in all, it was a huge plus for that night in particular.

I was also able to remain aware while slipping into REM 'sleep'. I could feel my eyes twitching side to side involuntarily and then I went to a lucid dreaming state. To be honest I was happy as could be there, and wish every night was like that. If I consciously focused on some memory it was almost like hitting a playlist on a CD player and reliving the memory. There were certain memories from decades ago that I 'played' and they were extraordinarily detailed (way beyond the detail I would have been able to remember when awake).

Anyway, it was a very powerful experience. I found it to be interesting and quite pleasant.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have it on a regular basis what's really trippy is when my dream/nightmare carries over into my conscious paralysis my last one was where I was arguing with my ex girlfriend and woke up paralysed I could see her standing there arguing with me and I couldn't get up and leave like I use to prolly one of the worst yet.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Hello all! So, I want to bring this thread alive again because I experienced the sleep paralysis the entire night long. I've been cutting back on my alcohol a lot lately (pats self on back), and this was the first time EVER I was in sleep paralysis through the night. I remember opening and close my eyes, but I couldn't move and I was still dreaming. It was like I was stuck between REM sleep and being half asleep. If that even make sense.

Has anyone ever heard that before? I had to be up this morning to go see my probation officer (blah) and all I wanted to do was just lay back in bed and I could feel the sleep paralysis coming back on strong again. I literally had to force myself to get out of bed. I'm not sure if it's the cold weather coming on strong, or if it's the fact I'm really cutting back on my drinking.

Any ideas? I've tried researching it to no prevail.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have had the "false awakenings". Usually I have to keep going until I do actually wake myself up and then walk around for a few minutes. If I don't get out of bed it will come back on like you said. I have never had it go on for hours like that. That must have been horrible.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

It was just strange, silentrun. I literally had to force myself to get up and use the bathroom just to get my bones moving. I still dreamed but I dreamt about sleeping and being paralyzed. I don't know. My mind is crazy like that I guess.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Zanabanana, was it typical Sleep Paralysis or just an extremely odd deep sleep? Is there a trick or method that you use to force yourself out of it?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

i have suffered all of this

havnt been recently thank god

my only advice would be if you have mirrors in the bedroom remove them

this worked for me i sound cukoo but try it if it applies

good luck everyone if u have questions pm me i have really suffered hella bad sleep paraylsis problems sleepwalking/cooking/building/gyrating/talking

i asked my gf to phone me sleeping and in the video u can see my eyeballs underneath the eyelid moving rapidly and this used to happen constantly only diffrence i forget now still vivid and scary just cant remember i know thier nightmare by the way i sweat i dont sweat bad if i dont have a nightmare

this is known as rem rapid eye movement aka dreams and nightmares

hope evreryone sleeps a lil better
Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Soberwolf - I thought I was the only one who hated sleeping with mirrors in the room. I suffer from sleep paralysis too, and I'm also convinced that mirrors make it worse, but God knows why they would.

Stress, being over-tired, alcohol use - these are the biggest culprits for me, although sometimes I go through a bad spell for no reason I can ascertain.

SeriousKarma, there's no trick to getting out of sleep paralysis other than by trying to relax (bit of an oxymoron), trying to move a finger, even a little, or, if you're not too frightened, using it as an entryway into a lucid dream, that is, try to keep going to sleep while being aware that you're dreaming. Sleep paralysis is terrifying; lucid dreams are a blast.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
SeriousKarma, there's no trick to getting out of sleep paralysis other than by trying to relax (bit of an oxymoron), trying to move a finger, even a little, or, if you're not too frightened, using it as an entryway into a lucid dream, that is, try to keep going to sleep while being aware that you're dreaming. Sleep paralysis is terrifying; lucid dreams are a blast.
I agree. I mentioned this earlier on the thread. Relaxation, and an awareness that I'm actually dreaming is the only things that have really had any effect. That and the finger wiggle.

I think the finger wiggle and the awareness that I'm actually dreaming, for me, are actually the same thing. The action of controlling my finger is in effect reminding myself that I'm actually only in a dream.

Either way, if I can successfully remind myself that I'm only dreaming I can then calm myself down enough to either ride it out, or break out of the paralysis.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Soberwolf - I thought I was the only one who hated sleeping with mirrors in the room. I suffer from sleep paralysis too, and I'm also convinced that mirrors make it worse, but God knows why they would.

Stress, being over-tired, alcohol use - these are the biggest culprits for me, although sometimes I go through a bad spell for no reason I can ascertain.

Hi Riel i know exactly what you mean i have no idea why mirrors make it worse but to this day there is only a mirror in the bathroom and thats it

Glad its not just me
Old 10-16-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I get sleep paralysis very badly when I am sobering up. Lucid dreams, Scary dreams of a horrible death. For me it lasts usually 1 or 2 Days. Sleep in general can be a problem due to anxiety, and lying down with my Phone on.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viv22 View Post
This was why I drunk myself to sleep scary stuff
Me too!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Didn't even notice this thread. I got it like 5 times last night, over and over. Finally got up after the last one and stayed up for a while to see if that would make it stop. I think the more you believe in demons/ghosts etc the more weird things you will see/hear. I don't really believe in most that stuff so I generally don't get too weirded out by it. It's still disturbing though. last night I was just hearing voices, and noises, didn't really see anything.

I've found if I can make myself breathe hard enough to snore I can make myself wake up. If you think about it your diaphragm which controls your breathing is one muscle that can't be paralyzed when you're sleeping, so idk but it seems like I can breathe so hard it will wake me up. Trying to lift my arms is useless, maybe if I tried for a few minutes, but idk haven't tried that long when it's happening
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

it is really horrible, feelings of not being able to breathe has me panic, and i try to focus my awareness on my big toe when it gets really bad. it is a gateway into Lucid dreaming and i love that, but i wish i could skip the paralysis thing too.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I get sleep paralysis periodically but not more often since I stopped drinking, 54 days. My understanding is that when we sleep we're paralysed to stop us physically running away, scoring that diving try or jumping off tall buildings! If we regain consciousness whilst still asleep then that paralysis enters the conscious mind, hence sleep paralysis. Moving a finger, for instance, probably just wakes you up a little more. Perhaps a thought to hold in mind is that it's just part of normal sleep and drifting off to sleep again is the most rationale response. It can be a very relaxing feeling simply letting go.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have that problem frequently... often right when I'm falling asleep. Last night it happened to me about 5 times in a row while I was trying to fall asleep. I don't know why it happens, but it is so scary
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Yes. I've had it while visually seeing people stand over me and I hear them talking to me. It was so bad that my girlfriend knew if she heard me knocking on the headboard while I was sleeping that I was asking for help to wake up. Over time you learn to not be in that panic state but it takes all of your willpower to force yourself awake. I hate it so much.

And whether i had been drinking or not had no bearing.