New and looking for advice

Old 10-18-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Lyrics from a song, "We're glad you're here" as performed by Kevin Sullivan. My Nar-Anon home group has this printed on the inside of a Welcome card which we give to all newcomers:

"We're glad you're here, cause we've been there,
and it's hard to find someone who understands enough to care.

Put down your pain, cast out your fears.

We've all been there, and we're glad you're here."

Keep coming back,

Jim
That's beautiful Jim, thank you.

I too wept my first three meetings, All the feelings I had stuffed got stuck in my throat and tears were all I could get out. They understood, they passed me tissues, and their stories told me that they had been where I was and found something that helped them...I wanted what they had, learned it was called "serenity", and I worked hard for a long time to claim it for my own.

Like Kindeyes, I had to let go or get dragged, my son's addiction was killing ME.

Stick with the meetings, try several, and know that it will all come together one day soon and you will be well on your own way to recovery.

Hugs
Old 10-18-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear you went to a meeting, LoveMySon101. Keep going back--you will get stronger! No one here is expecting advice, and there's no need to keep replying unless you feel moved to do so. We do tend to get a bit attached, so someone might wonder or ask how you are if we don't hear back.

To answer one question about heroin, and opioids in general: yes, they are that powerful and addicting, and yes, it is hard for non-users to understand just how powerful. If you do some reading about them, you will soon see why it is we cannot control our heroin-addicted loved ones. Learning about it helped me realize what a devil my daughter was fighting and that her brain had been changed to want this drug so badly, she'd risk everything, even her own life.

Take good care, and know we are here for you.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear your story, this has to be difficult being its your son. I have two myself.
I struggle with the fact that pain killers are so easily prescribed. My cousin has gotten addicted to those then led to heroin. It's so sad and I'm sorry you have to deal with this pain. I hope only the best for your son and thank him for serving our country.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Private3 View Post
I hope only the best for your son and thank him for serving our country.
As well, I give thanks for his service and also send prayers up for your son and others, who have been put in harm's way, have been injured while serving in the military.

Guessing you probably have organizations on your list that help veterans, e.g., Wounded Warrior Project.

Hugs.