Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 2

Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Oh and table pics - I sadly never took a before pic. But here is during and after, and the leaves aren't done yet so you can see the old color! So nice to have a dining table again!

View image: Screenshot 20160521 111957

View image: Screenshot 20160521 112516

View image: Screenshot 20160521 112550
Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

fb, the table looks GORGEOUS!

I am grateful to have made it through a grueling 11 days. DS13 got her stitches out and had her post-op checkup with her podiatrist today. She cried and cried and cried when the stitches came out, but I expect that now she will make leaps and bounds of progress in her healing. She went back down to her dad's right after the appointment, after being here since the evening of May 11.

I'm grateful I survived watching another foster family's foster dog for 4 days. He was a very sweet dog--just BIG, and more work than I was really able to handle with everything else going on.

I'm grateful that the animal rescue's fundraiser on Saturday went well (they made $650), and that not long after I arrived there, with two foster dogs and two kids in tow (including DD13, who was hobbling around on her bad feet, and DS, who is notoriously difficult in public places), I saw my gentleman friend strolling across the parking lot toward me. He put his own plans on hold and drove 90 minutes to surprise me and be there to help me wrangle everybody at the fundraiser.

And, I'm grateful for Benadryl and ice cold washcloths. I had a massive allergy attack on Sunday. Feeling much, much better today.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

fb, what a nice job on that table!!

And Wisconsin, you have really had some burdens to bear lately! I hope the "tables are turning" (hee hee) for you soon and life gets just a teensy bit easier.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

It HAS been a trying few weeks, hp, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am still so grateful for my LIFE!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

So much to catch up on - I've been so busy but so full of grateful moments.

DD & her friends had great critical thinking/problem solving moments twice in this last week. First they brokered a deal with admins to satisfy their honor society volunteer hour requirements by helping the band set up/tear down for their year-end concert. Win/win. Then they saved their trip to a museum from being scrapped due to lack of participants by convincing the teachers to widen the pool of kids allowed to go. They ended up hitting max capacity & having an excellent time.

They are so proud of themselves for actively participating & being part of creating change. It's amazing watching them become empowered & seeing their self-confidence grow!

My boss finally found time to listen to the Brene Brown audio cook I shared with her & loves it just like I knew she would. Woohoo - now we have more of a common language moving forward with some Wholehearted Changes.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When will your daughter be old enough to run for President? Right now she sounds like a viable alternative...
Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

^ she gets my vote instead of the loons that are our current choices.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Add my vote to Lexie's and FoG's!!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

When will your daughter be old enough to run for President? Right now she sounds like a viable alternative...
Yep - FS's Kid - 2016!! I would do a yard sign for the first time ever even!

Grateful for a dad, grandpa that thought we could do anything. When something broke, they would say, "well, fix it." They had a magnitude of tools at our disposal, and because of it, my brother and I ended up pretty handy today. Last night I repaired a clock I like with parts from a clock I don't like, and I finished a few things on my big bike before it goes to the shop next week which will save me some $$.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for this Forum, God, and FINALLY some decent weather here in Central Ohio... And my DS, of course!!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

LOL - I'll pass your idea on to DD. She is pretty anti-political at the moment, balking at all things Student Council related. I think she is stuck in the "Not my monkey, not my circus" thought process when it comes to defined leadership roles like that. She's so much more grass roots, like her mama, ha!

And with the election candidates being what they are this year, we've been reminiscing on that old line from that old Richard Pryor movie, Brewster's Millions:

"None of the Above!!"

Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

So happy that I stumbled across a copy of a DVD in our library & picked it up out of curiosity. Sean Corn's Chakra Flow Yoga is all about healing your emotional grid through your physical body:

products

It's EXCELLENT & exactly what I need right now, at this moment in my life. I watched most of the intro DVD & did the 1st 2 asanas/chakras over the weekend just to try it out & stuff was already bubbling to the surface. I'm going to step back & plan this out so that I can get through the entire program & do a detox alongside it during this double-full/blue moon in Sagittarius that we are in the middle of right now.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
A work in progress

FWIW, I have a feeling that this election may shake up the two-party system that we've come to know and loathe. So who knows what leadership might look like by the time she's old enough to assume that kind of role?

Not much of the existing political system really "fits" the way our plural society works these days. Hopefully something new and better will rise from the ashes. Hopefully folks like FS's daughter will play a part in it.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I hope so, too, Lexie, although I think the general public dramatically underestimates the billions and billions of lobbying dollars that go into preserving the current system, and the reasons why certain interest groups want to preserve the current, broken system.

If nothing else, this primary season is educating people on delegates, superdelegates, and how in many states the distribution of delegates just isn't fair or reflective of the voting population's wishes.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I pray that you are right Lex; it's pretty bad when an 11-yr old can look at our candidates & think about their impact on a global scale & ponder, "Are these people really the BEST we have to offer, mom?"

It does not help that her history class is entrenched in studying the Holocaust right now, so she's learning about real atrocities out there in the Real World that are worth protecting ourselves against. This Thursday we will be attending a presentation at her school by a Holocaust Survivor. I am blown away at how hard her teachers work to make their experiences relatable & tangible so that they learn with all of their senses.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Those of you who have kids always give me hope when you post about what their experiences and school are like. I know it was nothing like that for me--I'm not making excuses or being a victim, it's just a whole different world when I hear "there is a Holocaust survivor coming to talk at my kid's school" and I think about my "education."

I also don't want to fall into "well, it's up to the younger generation to somehow fix the screwups of the previous ones"--that burns my a$$ too. I'm just balanced on the point of how entrenched the system is (and, as Wisconsin said, how much goes into making sure it stays here and stays just as broken as it is) versus how there seem to be a fair number of people who DO care and who DO truly want change and who are educating themselves, their kids, their community.

It's easy to get overwhelmed and hopeless, but then I think to myself, "it's like recovery. The better I get, the greater the ripple effect into the world." How I hope this is really true, and that it's enough and in time...
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

My girls attend school in a heavily Jewish area, and at least half of their friends/classmates are Jewish. As a result, the district does a wonderful job covering topics like the Holocaust. There are things about their district that bother me (generally related to how wealthy the suburb is, and how kids like my daughters often can't participate in stuff that their classmates can because the money just isn't there at home), but overall I am grateful for the educations they are receiving. DD16 learned a lot last year about Cuba (and NOT filtered through the Cold War lens that was present when we learned about Cuba). It's always so, so cool to hear about what they're doing in school.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I feel the same way Wisconsin - completely grateful at the education DD is able to get in a public school, of all places.

The gratitude just keeps on going today - we spent 2+ wks interviewing/debating/analyzing potential assistants for me & finally, after much teeth-pulling, managed to agree on a candidate. Still not the perfect person for the job, but halleluiah, we can move on. "Trust me" I said, "I'd love for the perfect applicant to just fall out of the sky... I'd be willing to wait..."

And then, within minutes of each other, the chosen candidate called to let me know that she had already taken another position & we got a resume via email just before pulling the ad. She's in another state but the best candidate we've seen on paper, moving to this area in 3 months time & already bought a home here. After a phone interview she was willing to fly down here this weekend for the face-to-face portion so we can make sure we are a good fit before deciding to wait on her or proceed with new interviews.

Boss is anxious to start training right now, in our quiestest season, but I've been pushing the entire time in the opposite direction - I'm not READY to train just yet. I need time to get caught up on my own tasks first & if we're talking about someone with some industry experience, the training process should be much smoother all around.

Yes, I do believe my solution is about to fall out of the sky......
Old 05-27-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Today I am thankful for the sun coming up, for my job that pays the bills and has good benefits. I am thankful for my DS. I am SO thankful for the forum, and for the life that I'm slowly getting back because of the wonderful people here who have opened my eyes. I am thankful for the warm weather and being able to stand on two feet and go out and enjoy it.

I am thankful to live in this great country - and especially grateful and thankful this weekend for all those great men and women who fought, and are fighting, to keep us safe.

Have a wonderful weekend.

C-Oh Dad
Old 05-27-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

COD-yes to all! Have a blessed day, friend!