Notices

Anyone get bad reactions from taking fluoxetine?

Old 07-19-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Live-rec

Anyone get bad reactions from taking fluoxetine?

I started taking fluoxetine several weeks ago and after about three weeks I started getting these strange obsessions. I started feeling strong immediate cravings from just a thought. I think about food at all and immediately I have to have food. Then I eat until I'm sick! Everytime I think about a cigarrette I have to have one immediately. It's almost like a panic attack until I get what I'm obsessing about. I've gained 15 pounds and doubled the amount of cigarrettes I'm smoking. Then a few days ago the same thing happened with crack. I felt like I was driven and had no choice but to use.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have never taken that med. However I strongly recommend you call the doctor that ordered that med ASAP. It sounds like you are having negative side effects and likely that med is not the one for you.

It is usually not safe to stop medication cold turkey, you need to be slowly weaned off. But please make sure you call the doctor, today if possible!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lead keeper of the bees

Just a nod of understanding, I've had some unpleasant feelings with fluoxetine also; primarily, it increased my anxiety, so my doctor brought me down to a lower dose. I think that (for me personally) I'm generally sensitive to SSRIs, so I've had to get acclimated to the effects pretty slowly.

I agree that you should let your doctor know as soon as possible, and let him or her decide how to proceed from there (as a suggestion).

I hope you feel better!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reason to believe

Hi,

I have been on and off different meds for years and some worked for me some had side-effects..go and change it is my advice ...and make sure you have a GOOD Doctor who will spend some time with you concerning your next steps/ medication