Notices

summer depression

Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

summer depression

Anyone else out there get SAD in the summer. I am in pure misery from Memorial to Labor day. Unfortunately, it seems to be most people's favorite time of year and I get accused of isolating when I don't want to be tortured in the outdoors. I am in physical pain when it gets above 85, my stomach cramps up painfully, all my serenity is fried of me. I miss myself. If anyone else can relate to this, please let me know. Also, I would appreciate it if nobody would try to tell me that SAD only happens in the winter because of sunlight. Look it up in the DSM IV or on the internet if you don't believe me.
I just want to curl up in an air conditioned hole until September's here.
Virginia
Old 06-03-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On The Bus

PRose

To me depression is depression is depression......

Mine is worse in the winter because I like to be outdoors. However I can definitely relate to the stomach cramping especially when it is humid out and I am drinking a lot of water, very uncomfortable and embarrassing.

Im sitting here right now in New England and it is only about 60 out and pouring rain. And for some reason it does not bother me at all.

I have always viewed rain as a life giving force and so I am always comforted by rain as opposed to being upset. There isnt much you can do about it anyways right?

It is interesting to me you are more depressed in the summer. Is it because there are more chances of social encounters and you are uncomfortable or self concious about it?

Just curious about the whole thing I guess. Mike
Old 06-03-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my stepmom got this like you described! Woot, didn't know there were others with backward SAD, dad & I always joke about it and tell her she's a medical wonder. :P
Old 06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i live in southern arizona, and i know many people here get more depressed than in the winter, and i think it has to do with the heat. we have to stay inside more because it is so hot, and people are overall just miserable.

i tend to be depressed no matter what the season, but if people in colder areas get depressed in the winter, it would make sense that people in warmer areas would get depressed in the summer.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Mike, That's an interesting thought about the social issues, but I think it's more the opposite. My field is education, so school and work is in a tedious lull during this time, although I have worked through summers before and found that the weather alone makes a major impact, although I tend to do better when I have work or class. I just got a steady job offer for the summer, taking care of a six month old so that that should help quite a bit with my mood. Still, I miss feeling level and relatively content most of most days. Now I'm lucky if I get a few minutes of that feeling a day, at least it's enough to keep me optimistic that this will pass.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I don't care for the heat either. I usally get better with the blues in summer though, because as a parent this time of year the stress seems to lessen. Though when it gets humid the AC becomes my best friend and I should get out more! Maybe if u sat out only a couple of minutes a day it would help. A friend of mine gets sun therapy. Yes skin cancer is a concern but we need 10 minutes of sunny light to process Vitimin D. A little sunscreen and it can help! Take Care!!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Kerry,
Thanks for the suggestions, but the whole sunlight issue is the problem it's what causes summer SAD. I have to be outside for at least an hour a day because that's what my day requires and it saps the life out of me. Then, as soon as the sun goes down and the heat lessens a little, my mood does a 180. I've stopped trying to force myself to do outdoors summer activities because I just end up being angry at myself for not enjoying what "everybody" else likes.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who could relate. I know how to survive until September by staying cool and shaded as much as possible, but I wish there was someone else who I could talk or pm about this. I just feel like such a freak of nature for feeling like this every summer.

Virginia