Notices

Zoloft question

Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Honk if you're a codie!

Zoloft question

I recently started taking 50 mg of Zoloft and it worked immediately for my anxiety. The doc said it usually takes six weeks to kick in.

I'm not depressed but my situation is stressful as I am the sole fulltime caregiver to my 89 year old mother.

My question is this:
Did the Zoloft work right away because I was so low in serotonin? Is there a blood test for this? Or do docs just got by symptoms to diagnose it?
"This medication works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals (neurotransmitters such as serotonin) in the brain."

Also how long do people stay on Zoloft? The doc said at least four months.
Any responses welcome. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear that it worked right away. Most people aren't that lucky. It could be several reasons. They say 6 weeks because that is when the maximum amount of the chemical will be in your body and if you haven't noticed a difference by then it probably isn't going to work. Even one pill will have an effect on brain chemistry which seems to be the case for you. Also it could possibly be the placebo effect meaning you took something thinking it will help your anxiety and so you believe that it has even though the zoloft hasn't started to work yet. But hey, whatever works right?

I am taking paxil for anxiety. Have been for about 3 weeks now. I think it is working a little bit but I do hope things get better.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

medication works differently for everyone, so it is possible that you felt positive effects right away, whereas it may take longer for someone else. it typically takes 6-8 weeks for the max effect to be felt and the levels in your blood to "normalize".

i don't think there is a blood test to check if the medication is working. it sure would be nice if there was, then it wouldn't be such a trial and error process to find what works. Doctors usually take a detailed history, finding out what your symptoms are (i.e. do you suffer more from anxiety? insomnia? etc), and often will take a family history to see if there is a history of mental illness/depression, and if so what treatment worked for them. I know my doc tried Zoloft first for me because it had worked well for my mom (it didn't work for me).

the length of time depends. some only need it for a few months, a few years, some (like me) need it all their lives. only you and your doctor can make that determination.

you mention you are the sole caregiver for your mom. does she qualify for any extra help in the home? i am a case manager for elderly and disabled persons in arizona, and before that did social work in a nursing home. i also was the sole caregiver for my roomate/surrogate mom untill she passed away almost 6 months ago.

do you have any kind of support? do you attend any kind of support groups? do you belong to any online? i also belong to a really awesome caregiver group online and it has been extremly helpful.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmm if it works right away it's prolly the so called 'placebo effect' wait a lil bit longer, that'd be my advice.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Lexapro took 6, really 8 weeks to take effect in me. The Desyrel (I take both) had an immediate effect...almost too much of one...it took time for my body to adjust and even out.
live
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Honk if you're a codie!

Thanks so much for your responses tryingtolive, ranae, BSPGirl and live.

If it worked so fast due to the placebo effect then God bless the placebo effect. My blood pressure was borderline high then back to normal in four days. And I did feel better just calling the doctor for myself. I had been ignoring the symptoms for months and finally hit breaking point.

My Mom may qualify for help. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm now on Zoloft six weeks so it should be working for real. I did feel calm again after that first pill. CALM is nice.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you....I know that we only go to the Dr for help with those things when they have become unbearable!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

here is a good web site that will let you know if your mom qualifies for any programs or assistance. it also checks all the local and state programs in your area, and it is of no cost.

http://www.benefitscheckup.org/

glad you are feeling better!! thank goodness for medications!!