Notices

New to Lexapro

Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Lexapro

I have been taking Lexapro one week tomorrow. I find that I get extremely tired for about 8 hours after I take it and it makes me nauseated. Anyone else have these side effects? If so, did you switch meds or does it go away?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Anguished,

I just saw your post. I haven't tried Lexapro myself, but those side effects are common at first. This post was a few days ago. Is the nausea better now? I always took my anti-deprresants at bedtime to avoid the side effects and for help with sleep. The first week I had stomach problems and bad headaches. It got better after that.

I hope you're feeling better now. If not talk to your doctor. Maybe he/she can lower the dose or try something else.

Hugs,
MG
Old 05-17-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on Lexapro and have been for 3 months now, loving it. Some poeople get energy when on it, others sleepy. I was told if it makes you sleepy to take it before bed. In another week or two it should level out and the side effects should be less. I beleive fa\rther down, several months ago there was a thread on Lexapro. Most people who take it have found it wonderful after a few weeks.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keep On Keepin On...

I have tried taking it 2x now. I get 3 days into it, and my anxiety of taking a pill and worried about how I will feel kicks in...and I got more anxiety from it. Is it possible for symptoms to worsen while on it..or am I creating my own anxiety?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think your creating it. It does not really start to work on the anxiety for about 10 days and you feel full effects in 6 weeks. I feel so grea ton it, I cannot imagine going off. Start with 5 mg for a week and then increase to 10, the side effects should be minimal and will defiantely pass
Old 05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Update...

Thanks for all the responses!

So, here's the scoop: I feel MUCH better!! No more nausea, but still tend to get a little drowsy after I take it, but nothing compared to what it was. I have to admit that I've been feeling "happy" this past week. It's wonderful to feel good! I'm not cranky, edgy or short with anyone. I wish I wold have done this a long time ago!

BeautiGirl - I hope you find the courage to take the risk with Lexapro. It is soo worth it!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

When i got sober back in Aug 90, it was suggested that i work on my alcoholism first, then other issues later. And so i did. During the years i was miserable but I working my program. I knew about anxieties and depression and was full of pride because i wasnt taking any kind of meds. Yeeha..! WRONG......If i knew what i know today i would have seek the medical help for my chemical imbalance long time ago. But noooo i had to Miss know it all.
And so not only was i miserable, I made it mserable for everyone else around me.

And so, with 14 yrs sobriety, i finally had this awakening to go seek help for a possible chemical imbalance. Sure enough that was the problem. It took a yr to find something to agree with me and now im cool. Because Lex is expensive they offered the generic form and that is doing well for me.

I can't believe i wasted all my life being miserable , when all i could have done, was to just become willing to go that extra length to find out something that would make my life a little more managable. Dummy..!

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have been on lexapro for a couple of years now. When the change the dose I do have side effects, but they do go away within a week. If I don't take them I do start feeling really down again.
Good luck it will help I know it did me.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
debbleslosthermarbles

Hi, I was prescribed lexapro recently for dealing with the grief of losing my husband. I've got a brand new bottle it's anyone's for the taking. I decided to give it a try on the weekend of my husbands' first birhtday without him. I'm telling you I hated it I was numb, emotionless, I could'nt even cry missing him, I hated having my emotions stripped to that extreme. I stopped after two pills and I felt great. I've been on clonzepam and that is all I need for the anxiety it works for me, and I only take it when I feel the need, no side effects, no needing more, no constantly taking it. I was a zombie on that stuff, I was shocked because I've been on an antidepressant for my IBS for twenty years and never had effects like that. Debbie
Old 06-09-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Sorry For Your Loss Deb

Originally Posted by debmar
I've been on an antidepressant for my IBS for twenty years
May I ask which one? Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question Hello

These posts are kind of old. So, I’d like to ask how everyone is doing on Lexapro, and / or Klonopin. I am taking Klonopin now, but my doctor has suggested Lexapro as an alternative.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have taken Lexapro for several years, it doesn't address my anxiety tho and I am prescribed xanax for that.

However, as always, everyone's chemistry is different and we respond differently esp. with psychotropics.

Work with your Dr would be my suggestion, esp as I know you are uncomfortable taking benzos.

I do suggest taking them before bedtime as fatigue is an early side effect that is most common.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’d just hate to start something new and wind up regretting it. Although it could be that I might have a lot in common with AA Sharon (post above), and that I’ll come to be grateful for it (if I take it). However, I really, really don’t want anymore drugs; I want to be normal, arrrgh! But I guess I’m just not.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take Lexapro. Fell great when Im taking it. I had to go off for a few months, but so relieved to be back on it. It helps my depression for sure and at 2 10 mg each day it helps my anxiety too and any attacks if they ahppen are not severe
Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like I said in the Caffeine thread, I took lexapro for 8mo and it worked great for my anxiety. There was some nausea, dry mouth and sexual issues the first few weeks, but the anxiety started going away within the 1st week. But after I was on it a couple months I started gaining weight and kept gaining no matter what or how much I ate or exercised, so I got off it. I've taken some of the weight off and now that I'm not drinking alcohol or caffeine the anxiety's not too bad but if it comes back I'll gladly get back on lexapro. For me the weight gain was the only drawback and I could live with that if I have to.