Notices

does anyone know?

Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does anyone know?

ok maybe someone can answer my questions i hope. so as most of you know i abuse hydrocodone and have tried to quit cold turkey twice with no luck and i still havent went to na are rehab. Anyway i think i am dying i have severe stomach pain very severe i cant sleep at night i also have chest pain and irregular heart beat. I wonder if the irregular heart beat is not from abusing lorazepam when i was trying to go cold turkey. I usually dont take lorazepam unless i absolutley have to. my question is are thease symptoms from using to much hydro are what? I know that coming off herion can do all kinds of things like this just from what i learned being a paramedic but i have never really seen the effects of hydo. I cant believe this has gone so far i am out of control and i dont know what to do. I know if i dontg et rehab this stuff is going to kill me one way are the other. will some of you please share with me the symptoms you had when u were on hydo are trying to come off. please.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I was you Paramedic I would get to an ER stat

HUGX
Lee

ps I think you know that
Old 02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well i would go to the e. r. but everyone here knows me i am ashamed i work with everyone around here. I know that some of thease symptoms are probably normal from the hydro but some of them worry me thats why i was asking you all if any of you experienced this. Today i have only took 1 hydro. I have been cutting back alot i have gone from 8 to 2 a day are less and when i cant sleep i take lorazepam and i hate taking that stuff it makes me have anxiety. My b/p is low alway s because i take beta blockers for my heart all of this crap is making me sick i feel like i am stuck i cant go to the e.r. i dont want my friends to find out are people i work with on a daily basis. I dont know wht i am going to do i guess i am going to just have to lock myself in my room and somehow get off this stuff im scared because i have been getting really depressed i dont know im at wits end thatnks for listening.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tina - Can you go to your regular Dr. or an Urgent care? Detoxing from ANY drug (and alcohol is a drug, too) is dangerous.

I can only speak from my own experience. I went cold turkey off of 20-30 Hydros per day and whatever Benzos I could get my hands on. My symptoms included - fever, chills, runny nose, auditory hallucinations, the runs, aches and pains, restless legs, and insomnia. I couldn't get out of bed for a month - but I was an extreme case based on my usage.

Being under a Drs. care is best for obvious reasons. But some of us have gone the cold turkey or titer down route and made it to the other side ok, too. Good luck with whatever you decide. We're pulling for you.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry Tina , did not mean to be so blunt, I am in the medical profession myself, and I DO understand your concerns, isn't there an ER you can go to where you dont attend? If not, can you see a non involved Doc, or someone . You really are playing russian roullette, I am just very worried for you , as a collegue,especially with the arrythmia ect .

Let us know how you are going

HUGX
Lee

Sorry for any offense
Old 02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well i could drive to the city and find a urgent care and thats what i have been thinking about doing going to the hospital in the city i talked to my husband today and he told me he dosent know wht to do either. I told him i am tired of wasting away in the bedroom and feeling like i am going to die. I know i shouldent be ashamed but i am i dont want my work to know i keep thinking i can do this by myself but every time i go cold turkey i keep relapsing i am going to keep cutting back and if the symptoms dont go away i am going to go get myself some help if i have to drive 5 hours to get it. If i cant do this alone i have to do it for my kids i think i am doing alot better though going from 8 to 1 are 2. and as far as the lorazepam about 8 hours after i take it i start having anxiety and irregular heart beat its so hard laying in bed though when you cant be still. Sorry if all this is all run together im sleepy and just exhausted from everything.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to be real blunt Tina.

You can live through shame, you can survive embarassment.

But if you die, or get so sick, someone else makes the call, the truth will be revealed.

You are not the first paramedic to struggle with addiction.

Please pick up the phone and make the call.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, piggybacking on what Gooch said.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hanging in

tough enough

Hi cindy Hydro is worse than herion I have kiked the herion.But hydro has many of the same properties in it. Unlike herion that 72 hours detox does not work.Baby girl this is the tougest fight U can imanigne. I go through it everyday........ Hang in there!!!!!! lets chat Cathy
Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Tina hows it going for you today ?

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Day by day....

Tina let me tell you a story. Fourteen years ago I was at the top of my game. I was an ER nurse and later went to work as a charge nurse and lab tech at a very large urgent care where I live. I became addicted to IV Demerol and since I carried the keys access was no problem. I am lucky to be alive to see my children today. More than once I had OD'd and woke up in the floor half dead only to go back and do it again.

I was like you and I was too embarrassed to come forward even though I knew I needed help. Eventually the truth was going to come out. One day as I sat at the lunch table with my boss and the head doctor of the clinic, he came out and asked me if anything was going on I needed to talk to him about. Well, right there I confessed and laid it all out.

I went to rehab. When I got out they saved my job. I worked there for a few months and decided the temptation was too much. Even tough I worked exclusively in the lab after returning, it was still too much just being there. I was scared to come back to work. Everyone knew and I was ashamed. But nobody was mean or nasty - nobody judged me. It is actually alot more common than you realize for people to fall into addiction in the health profession.

I eventually worked my way out of the direct care environment and into management. I relapsed with almost 11 years clean in 2004 after an injury and have been fighting to make my way back - but I will. I am on the mend now. I have a fulfilling, good paying job with wonderful people now. Actually I now work for the place where I got clean...not in the same building...but in a different department. But imagine the feeling of being on the other side of the desk after all those years. I've now worked there 7 years.

You can overcome this and make more of your life. But it is going to take a leap of faith. I promise you that all will be well in the end. God does not put more on us than we can handle. Sometimes it is just about doing the next right thing....you know what that is. Do it!! I am living proof that you can survive a little embarrassment and fear and come out on the other side stronger. But you might noe survive this addiction and your children need you. Stop making excuses!! Please take care of you and do something to save yourself before it's too late. Your family needs you and a little time away in rehab is much better than having your children grow up without a mother. Trust me on this.

You are in my prayers.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tina, I'm also in healthcare. As I've said before...I'm a nurse who works in ICU/CCU/Stepdown. I survived the "guilt/shame/embarassment" of my co-workers finding out that I was a methamphetamine addict.
They busted me at work by asking me to give a UA.
I've done treatment. I took about 2 months off before going back to work.
There was 2 years of nursing probation to face.
I would think that the consequences would be less severe if you ask for help yourself...rather than waithin for them to catch you at work being under the influence of the drug.
It is also a felony if you're caught "taking" drugs from your workplace...I've seen nurses go through that aspect...although that was not a part of my story.
I'm worried about your life and your heart...PSVT is not something that you should be screwing around with...and trying to do this "home detox" thing if you're having palpatations!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just left rehab on Feb 2nd, let me tell you there were at least 5 nurses and a dr in there detoxing with me from hydros and other painkillers....DO NOT be ashamed!We have a disease, anyone who looks down on you for this isnt worth the trouble in the first place..EVERYONE needs help sometime or another..
Cat
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe lorazepam is a benzo,don't try to withdraw cold turkey from that because it is next to impossible.I am a benzo addict and I no all to well what withdrawing from
that stuff feels like. I wopuld withdraw carefully from one at a time. Find a doctor and tell him or her to be discreet, and give you a order to take to the hospital for your test. No one has to know anything more than it's a heart test.That's what I would do.
Joe