Notices

Let go and let God

Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

Let go and let God

It is so hard for me to just turn it over. I say that I believe in a Higher Power, but I am really lacking in the faith. Every time something does not go my way, I get to complaining about it, worrying that things will not work out, and ultimately obsessing about things negative. This is really not healthy for me and I know it.

At tonight's meeting the speaker shared on the third step. He was really a good speaker. Anyway, I took a lot out of his sharing his experience strength and hope. However, one thing stuck out the most in my mnd. He said that we have to learn to get out of the way and let God do his work. He said that we are only responsible for the effort. After that we should step aside and let God handle the rest.

If I could just do this, I would be a whole lot better off. I pledge that I will start to try and practice this....
Old 01-19-2006, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by deenrose
It is so hard for me to just turn it over. I say that I believe in a Higher Power, but I am really lacking in the faith. Every time something does not go my way, I get to complaining about it, worrying that things will not work out, and ultimately obsessing about things negative. This is really not healthy for me and I know it.

QUOTE]
You just described my fourth step and me and you don't need anymore faith we have to learn to exercise the faith that we have. Pretty simple for complicated people like us. Glad Your here. and glad I'm here

Love Vic
Old 01-19-2006, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

By putting the correct perspective on who God is, I find it easier letting go.

God's hand holds all things together. With that understanding, I can see that God is stronger then me. His hands must be way bigger then mine. He can handle it all. Bigger hands, stronger then me... Just seems smart that I should let Him take over.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by best
By putting the correct perspective on who God is, I find it easier letting go.

God's hand holds all things together. With that understanding, I can see that God is stronger then me. His hands must be way bigger then mine. He can handle it all. Bigger hands, stronger then me... Just seems smart that I should let Him take over.
Like that commercial put you life in the hands of allstate...Wow that is a thought...

Love VIc
Old 01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

If it wasn't for my trust in my concept of god (whom I choose to call billybob jinglebunns), I would never have been able to go through a few rough patches that I've been through since I got clean (my exgirlfriend having an abortion without my consent, and recently my grandfather getting very very sick)

My 3rd step is making a decision to let life happen as it will and just trying to do the next right thing infront of me. As long as I do that, I trust everything will work out the way it's supposed to.

(P.S. Vic....I'm an allstate agent. I may start my sales pitch asking people to let me be there 3rd step, now)
Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Blake

(P.S. Vic....I'm an allstate agent. I may start my sales pitch asking people to let me be there 3rd step, now
I don't know if that will work Blake but I found this at you site. I will go back maybe this week I hope to finish checking it out but I just wanted to let you know on this

Blake I don’t dance naked in the full moon.
You might want to reconsider that it depends on who you with

Good night it feels like it is 30 degrees in here and I have the heat at 90
Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

I've discovered that there is much mystery in the universe.

How I define the mystery does not change it.

I do not have to "get it", I do not have to know what He is.

He gets me. He believes in me.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Deen- You are right where your suppose to be. (I used to hate when people say that). My sponsor had me ask 5 people people in recovery w/ clean time, what it was like to turn it over. I gathered their experience, I listened kept an open mind then started to believe. It came over time, it wasn't like I was hit by lighting and boom I made that decision. I made that decision by watching other addicts turn their will and lives over and saw that their lives were changing. I went through storms and stayed clean, I asked my sponsor for assignments that would help me believe. One thing that he asked me to do was call him everyday and tell him one thing he turned over to God that day. That got me started into turning things over, not just the big things but the little things too. Just by your willingness in your last sentence will keep you searching.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
REZ

Here's what helps me turn it over: STAY IN THE MOMENT. When I am paying attention to what is going on in front of me, what I am supposed to be doing now, I am now thinking about the future or the past. I am doing my part and God is handling the rest.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this advise is both the best and the worst!
the worst...
to the addict in us, this is a hard concept, we dont want to let go and allow these big hands to do their work, the addict seems to be a control freek. and We cant believe it can be that easy.
but the BEST....Well thats when we are really getting somewhere, When there is a reality to this bizar concept. I think this is the most important part of recovery. it allows us to let go of our control freek within.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Butterflys
and We cant believe it can be that easy.
How can something so complicated be so simple?
I still ask that question, even though I see the results that believing gains me.
No way! That is to simple. How can that work?

Just so happens ...that is how God made things. Simple enough that those who believe, gain in abundance.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Saul became paul because it was gods will!
ephisians 1:1 Saul never dreamed what was in store for him
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hiya

I totally relate to all that you are saying. I too really want to believe in a higher power and i think that i do, but i too find the hard bit to be turning it over. I want to do this too, but i dont really understand how. I've asked and got a few vague answers, but i am picking up on the fact that it is one of those questions that can't be answered, its too personal to each person.

I'm such a control freak the idea of stepping off that 'cliff edge' goes against all my natural instincts. but if i am going to get step 3 i need to take that risk.

Helen
xxx
Old 01-21-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

I just got back from a great meeting. It was packed and standing room only. On Saturday night a packed room full of addicts seeking recovery. What a great thing. Anyway, I did'nt get a chance to get on the sight yesterday. I wanted to share how it has been working for me. God always comes on time. I shared previously about how I got out of rehab on 12/27. I shared about how I was struggling with my employment situation. I wanted to get back into my field which is the electrical trade. When I wanted things to go my way like RIGHT NOW, I shared how things were not happening at my speed. In this post I shared that I was going to start working on trying to turn it over. Well I had been doing the foot work and that is all that I could do. That is what other members were telling me. I'm starting to get calls from interested parties. It came seemingly out of nowhere. I guess that that is GOD doing his part. Turning it over is much less stressful.

Whoever said that this is a simple program for complicated people was right on point...