Notices

Wanting to Change

Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to Change

I'm new around here and am looking from some advice from those who are like me. I have been an addict for the [ast 10 years. For the past three years, my drug of choice has been pain medication (Lorcet). I have been through detox twice and residential treatment once. Each time I relapse. I want to change, but don't know how. I have quit numerous times, with the longest time being a month. Each time I end up going back. Physically, I always feel bad (even when I am using). Mentally, I am always depressed. I can't live like this no more, but don't know how to get off of these pills and stay off of them. Does it ever get any easier mentally or physically. There is no NA meetings in my area for me to attend. Anyone have any advice? Help
Old 01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

Welcome........
My name is Ann. Is there anyway for you to go to your medical doctor for some help? I know that the withdrawl from pain medication isnt pretty and you really should have some help. Your medical doctor could provide a safe way of getting off those physically. Mentally--thats another story. There are no NA meetings in your area or close by??? Are you sure? Try going to the NA home page--there has to be something.

I dont know if your spiritual--but praying really helps me through some tough times. Ask your Higher Power for help, guidance, strength daily. For me I ask several times a day.

Hang in there. Keep posting. You'll get some good advice here.
Ann
Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carl79
Physically, I always feel bad (even when I am using). Mentally, I am always depressed. I can't live like this no more, but don't know how to get off of these pills and stay off of them. There is no NA meetings in my area for me to attend. Anyone have any advice? Help
Welcome Carl

When at the end of the road we find that we can no longer function as a human being, either with or without drugs, we all face the same dilemma. What is there left to do? There seems to be this alternative: either go on as best we can to the bitter ends-jails, institutions, or death-or find a new way to live. In years gone by, very few addicts ever had this last choice. Those who are addicted today are more fortunate. For the first time in history, a simple way has been proving itself in the lives of many addicts. It is available to us all. This is a simple spiritual-not religious-program, known as Narcotics Anonymous.
This is one of the things I heard read at NA meetings that helped me to recognize that I wasn't alone.

Do you have a Basic Text?

Can you get to some AA meetings in your area?

We have found that we need the identification of associating with others who have been where we have been and can show us where we can go.

Does it ever get any easier mentally or physically.
Yes .. it gets simpler anyway. The cravings eventually let up and as we develop a manner of living that allows us to lead a productive, enjoyable life in spite of our disease, lost dreams awaken and new possibilities arise.

We never have to use again.