Notices

Can NA assist homeless addicts?

Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a Wing and a Prayer

Can NA assist homeless addicts?

My daughter is a heroin addict and she is homeless because I will not let her live with me. I tell her to reach out and go to an NA meeting and ask for help with finding a place to live and a place to work. Am I giving her good advice?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To my knowledge, NA itself doesn't sponsor sober housing.
However, people in NA may be able to point her in the right direction.
It certainly can't hurt for her to try.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Salvation Army is there but with the hurricanes not sure. My name is Vic and I am an addict I am probably dang lucky to be clean and sober today I am glad that you are here. I know that I was homeless, helpless, and hopeless when I got here to the program of AA and NA. I have never been to a treatment facility nor mental institution YET, I have found my treatment in the rooms of AA and NA and right here at SR. I know what it is like to be homeless, helpless, and hopeless. Today I have a place over my head, I have food, I even like myself today.

Now I am willing to help in anyway that I can that is for sure. If she is homeless and she needs help, and if she really wants help you can contact me either through msn, ***** messenger or email me. I will do what I can to help her get off of the streets. I hope that all will be ok and I will send good thoughts your way. Just let me know if I can help in anyway at all..

Love Vic
Old 12-04-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hi again S's mom. Like Vic said tell her to check at the Salvation Army, they will give her a bed but she cannot drink or use or they will kick her out. She can also attend NA meetings. As to her living on the street I will repeat here what my Mom did to me and for me:

Here's what my mother did to me........

In January of 1979 when I was 33 1/2 years old my mother told me in no uncertain terms that I was no longer welcome in their home. That if I came to the door it would be closed in my face (and it was) and that if I called on the phone they would hang up on me (and they did) that I was going to have to figure out how to fix MY PROBLEM.

Well needless to say I was royally "pi**ed" lol. And nothing changed in my life for some time. It was not until June of 1981 2 1/2 years later that I finally got sober, and yes I ended up living the streets.

You did exactly what you needed to do for YOU. And, it may finally start to bring her to her senses when she fully realizes that Mommy won't "rescue" her any more.

In my opinion you did the right thing!!! I know it worked for this alkie. I have over 24 years of sobriety now, and over 21 years in Alanon.

You have set your boundaries. Good for you.

Please keep posting, and others will be along to share their experience, strength and hope with you. There are many others on these boards that have been where you are now.

I know its not easy, it never is, and the disease of addiction affects more than just the person who has it. It is truly a FAMILY DISEASE, and there does come a time when a person does say ENOUGH. You have done that. Wow, what strength.

By the way, in later years when my Mom and I talked and I mean really talked, she told me how hard it was for her to do that, but she just could not handle me any more in my drunken dope induced states, as I was pushing her toward a mental hospital and she did the ony thing she could do. I thanked her, because I truly believe that her actions were the final push to set me toward recovery.

JMHO.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 12-04-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a Wing and a Prayer

Laurie, thank you for your words of encouragement. I have been paralyzed with fear since I finally said "enough is enough." My biggest fear is that she will kill herself, either intentionally or accidently. She told me today on the phone, 'I just might as well shoot up today because I have nothing to lose now." or words to that effect. I had planned to go shopping today for a Christmas tree. Instead, I drew the blinds in my bedroom, crawled under the covers and cried and slept all day. I go into such a deep depression because of her addiction that I simply don't want to function. I am so glad I found this site. Thank you, again.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WHGirl- you've did the best thing that you can for your daughter at this time. Many of the people who get clean have to go to great lenghths to show thamselves that they are powerless over the dope. It might be scary to send your daughter out into the darkness, but the more people enable us to function using, the more dependant we become. If she goes to a NA meeting she will find people who have been where she's at, and able to guide her back to the light. I know also from experience and involvement with the Salvation Army that even with the events that have occurred lately that they will help her if she contacts them in your area. If your daughter asks for help at either of those places she will find it. I'll put her and you in my prayers tonight.