Notices

I got a new sponsor...

Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Talking I got a new sponsor...

I have been having problems with my old sponsor for a while now. I didn't follow one of his suggestions and he got all pissy about it. I tried to make the relationship work, but in the end I just didn't feel like I could trust him anymore to not judge me.

Yesterday I asked a guy in my area to sponsor me and I am really happy about the whole thing. He has 18 years clean and he got clean when he was my age, he hasn't relapsed since then. He did the same drugs as me (I know a drug is a drug, but I tend to be able to relate to opiate addicts a little better) He has a sponsor who has a sponsor who has a sponsor. He still goes to meetings on a regular basis and doesn't let his 18 years keep him from letting people know when he is hurting or struggleing. He has been involved in area service in every area in Louisiana. He used to travel across the country "Convention hopping" so he knows people all over america. Most importantly he is easy to talk to and I'm not hessitant to call the dude or tell him stuff.

I am very very happy with my new sponsor. Now all I have to do is tell my old one that I switched.........I think it is gonna be a real hit to his ego, but "I am not responsible for his recovery" as my new sponsor told me.

I know all this sounds corny, but I believe I have the best sponsor in my area and I want what he has.

I have heard, "if you don't think you have the best sponsor in the world, you need to change." Well right now that is how I feel.

It's such a relief, I was all nervous to ask this dude (why would someone with that much clean time agree to sponsor someone with so little, blah blah blah) but I'm glad I did, for the last 3 months or so I have felt like i didn't really have a sponsor, or everyone here was my sponsor (you guys did fill that void through some serious **** if yall didn't know) now I feel like I can breathe a lot easier and I feel safer.

Thanks yall,
Blake
Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds good Blake!
I've switched sponsors myself 3 weeks ago and it feels much much better.
Well...actually he fired me after my last relapse..so...
But I didn't let that get me down and got another one the same evening.

The most important thing is that you keep on going, keep on trying, and do what feels is best for your recovery.
I hope it works out for you (and me btw, lol)

Nick.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blake
I am very very happy with my new sponsor. Now all I have to do is tell my old one that I switched.........I think it is gonna be a real hit to his ego, but "I am not responsible for his recovery" as my new sponsor told me.
Good on you, Blake.

I just went through almost the exact same thing a week and a half ago. I was scared and nervous to tell my sponsor that I was moving on, but after praying and talking about it, I knew it was the right thing to do. Before I picked up the phone to call her, I got quiet and centered in prayer. And you know what? The conversation went fantastic. I thanked her for all she has done for me. She told me how proud she is of me. It couldn't have gone better. She is still a very important person in my recovery. And it was a huge relief to be honest and respectful about moving on.

Do it now. Don't sit on this, both for yourself and for your former sponsor.

Let us know how it goes, k?