Notices

Cocaine Detox?

Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cocaine Detox?

Is there such a thing as detox for cocaine users? Or is that just limited to alcohol? If so, what does it entail and what is the length of time?

I'm new to this, so figured I'd start here first. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

As far as the medical end of it, I'm not sure. I'll tell you from experience that of all of the things I've detoxed from (um..you name it ), cocaine was the easiest, physically. Some irritability, fatigue - maybe a headache. The psychological withdrawal, however, was the worst. If you're doing this outpatient, alone, please try to get to meetings and stay around positive people. The cocaine bug buzzed really loud in my ear.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long will it take before the cocaine cravings lessen? I was clean from it for 39 days and I still heard it calling for me. I read somewhere that they may lessen as the brain heals itself and the addict starts to engage into other mind stimulating activities.
I just hope that this urges goes away faster this time around.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great, thank you. He's tried several times on his own. He's gone to one meeting, two weeks ago. But we're going together this Wednesday for the weekly meeting. I've never done drugs...but I'm going for support and really to learn more about NA and what he will be dealing with, so I can support and understand him better.

He's been on Wellbutrin this summer, but he said it made him want the coke more, so he quit. He's also finally, just dropped all his "user" "friends" - and only associates with non-users, so it's a start.

I'm afraid of the depression that comes with it - he said that part is the hardest.

Thanks for your input - and I wish you both success in your recovery.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Its probably a really good idea he attends more than 1 meeting every other week. A meeting a day worked for me and many, many others. In Annapolis there are alot of meetings in a 20 mile radius. Here is a link: http://portaltools.na.org/portaltool...rchResults.cfm

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cocaine was my DOC.Wellbutrin never made me have cravings that I know of.I have detoxed off of it more times than I can count.I am not a Doctor but from my experience's the withdraws were psychological.Mood swings,irritability,and depression.Cravings were severe.I attended meetings daily.Proper rest,diet and exersise help me a lot too.And B-12 also helps me.I use the 1000 mil that go under the tongue.The ones you swallow are a waste of time and money.One day at a time I have been clean for 6 months.I still attend meetings almost everyday,have a good sponsor and work the steps through the NA step guide.The cravings or maybe just thoughts of using do come from time to time but I don't dwell on them and they are less and less as time goes on.Until I got serious about my recovery and put it first before anything and anyone not much changed.Hang in there.There is hope.I found mine in the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous.I can assure you if I can do this,anyone can.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to print this out for him to read. I know it
will be helpful for him!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My drug of choice is also cocaine and I've detoxed from it numerous times.
As a matter of fact I'm doing it again right now. Got a little over 3 weeks cleantime and after about 2 weeks or so I feel the symptons.
Irritable, emotional, tired, hard to focus on something and easily distracted, etc.
Basicly my brain is "resetting" itself I come to believe.
For me these symptons last for about 10 to 14 days or so. Then they get less and eventually go away.

It's a lesson I seem to have a hard time learning...that I can't just "use 1 time and be done with it"...it affects so much for me and far longer then I bargained for.
But due to that I do have experience with detoxing from cocaine.
And I agree what has been said, it's psychological really but that doesn't mean your body won't react.

The thing that helps me a lot now (and this is new to me) is to plan my day in the morning. Give structure to my day.
I write a list with things I gotta/want to do and put a time on them.
Like: 10 am - pray and read Just for Today
10.15 - breakfast
10.45 - shower/shave etc.
11.30 - do shopping
and so on.

This helps me to live in the day, or in the moment, and keep my mind and body busy.
It helps me a lot (hadn't had a craving so far, just thoughts of using) and I thought I'd share this with you.

Lots of strength to you both and a big ((Hug))!

Nick.