Notices

nervous about chairing a meeting

Old 10-22-2005, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blah blah blahhhhh

nervous about chairing a meeting

I have been asked to be a speaker at a meeting tommorow night. Now this isn't the first time I have been asked to share my experience strength and hope, but I always get nervous when I get put in that spot. Those little voices start to tell me that I don't have much to offer, no one will relate to me, what if people start to get up and leave, .................. the list goes on and on, But I have found that after I am done sharing, I truely feel better about myself. I can only keep what I have by giving it away, and if I have helped one addict stay clean, just 4 today, I have truely done my part in this program. But the nervousness still won't go away
Old 10-23-2005, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
whataday

I have to remind myself that sometimes that one addict i`m reaching out to is myself, also this might help or not,but if you turn it over to your higher power than it no longer belongs to you, think about that. Tell yourself when the disease starts to talk, thats not mine. Because its not, its your higher powers now. Try it. I didn`t come up with it , i`m just passing down what was freely given to me.

chris

P.S. god bless
Old 10-23-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup, when I chair or even just share in a meeting, I take a moment before I open my mouth and ask god to guide my words. Sometimes I say something that someone else needs to hear. Sometimes I say something that I needed to hear.

Just breathe and let what needs to come out, come out.

Hugs,

phinny
Old 10-23-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
REZ

Being a little nervous is okay. It keeps one awake, aware. Just do what comes naturally and you'll be okay. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank God for people brave enough to share in their own words what it was like, what happened, and what it was like now. If it wasn't for someone like you I might never have been brave enough to babble my way through my story. And one thing I have discovered is that I'm not the only one who has been scared, or lacking confidence.

Theres someone who needs to hear what you have to share. Just trust God to get them to that meeting.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
blah blah blahhhhh

UPDATE................I just got back from chairing that meeting. Phinny, thanks, I took that moment to ask my Higher Power to guide me, and that's exactly what happened. I carried the message of recovery to the best of my ability. No one left, everyone listened, and when it was all over everyone clapped, (don't clap for me, clap for N A). All types of emotions came out of my mouth tonight, and I even cried (had to take a quick break to be able to speak again), which I no longer try to hide. YEP, I AM A MAN IN RECOVERY, AND I CRY!!!! So tonight I am feeling GREAT. The way I feel after sharing my story......................NO DRUG COULD EVER MAKE ME THAT HIGH

Much Love to my NA family, the ones whom I have met, have yet to meet, and have slowly come to know right here on SR...............you guys mean so much to me
Old 10-23-2005, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unspunanddone
I took that moment to ask my Higher Power to guide me, and that's exactly what happened. I carried the message of recovery to the best of my ability.
:hoo

Yes!

Congrats for getting though a scarey situation with grace and inspiration. Sharing from the heart is what it's all about.

Hugs,

phinny
Old 10-23-2005, 09:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear that it went well!!
You touched hearts and souls tonight.
Thanks for sharing your experience, strength, and hope with others!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do you ever feel like this?

Congrats!

I was asked to share my story this wednesday, and I too am nervous, self-conscious,
and afraid. I shared in a split lead one day with another addict, but I only had to fill a half of an hour. Not as bad, but just as scary. I know because it is spiritual it is practical and I cannot back out, because that is my self will and old behavior to avoid life at all cost. I just have never been the best communicator in my book, but getting better. I really need to get with my higher power tonight and tomorrow so I can be prepared.

We all can relate!
Sharing a lead is the consequences of working a program, I like these consequences better.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unspunanddone
when it was all over everyone clapped, (don't clap for me, clap for N A).
Anytime I have shared where people clap when I'm done I get real humbled and embarassed. I feel the same way, in fact it bothered me so much for a while I asked people not to clap when I shared, or if in fact they felt they needed to applaud that we all applaud NA.

i just got a tear in my eye reading your post unspun..
Old 10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

unspunandundone,
That is a time in your recovery you will probably never forget.
I know I haven't. A buddy in recovery asked me to come to his homegroup, about 8 hours away and speak. I was nervous as all could be, more than my 1st meeting. He has 22 years and well respected. I didn't want to let him down. All he said was, listen and let go. I had no idea what he was talking about, until I started to speak, and I listened to what I was "thinking", that feeling I had inside, and shared what I was like, how I got here, and what I am like now in recovery, thanks to NA and all the members before me who where selfless enough to help me in my recovery. It was a liberating experience, that added to my recovery in many ways.
Just reading your post brought me back to the feeling I got in recovery from that.
I hope it serves you well in recovery as it did me.
I bet you feel a lot better about yourself, how you did, and your recovery now. It "reads" like it at least.
Good job,
Chad H.

Here's another one for ya since we couldn't be there :bravo
Old 10-25-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

When I speak I always ask God to be invited by me and everyone else, and then what falls out is all on God. Sometimes I don't even remember exactly what I say. I went to a convention this past weekend and I was asked to step in if needed, I said sure, I have to speak this coming Saturday at noon, a meeting I helped start 18 years ago, and the following Saturday at a Group here in town. Its always a pleasure to serve and God is always awesome.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a cool thread.Congradulations.