Notices

Chronic Relapser

Old 09-30-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Chronic Relapser

Three months ago I entered treatment. After 28 days inpatient I went home and relapsed on painkillers (vicodin) the same night.
I went back in for another month, got out stayed clean for about two
weeks then relapsed again.
Ive been going to meetings everyday, doing what I'm suppossed to do.
But I just can't seem to stop.
I finally went back to my psychiatrist this week and I'm going back
on Suboxone which helped me out tremendously back in March
when I first tried to get clean. My therapist is against it and says
I should be totally abstinent. I'm just tired of relapsing and if this is
gonna help me get over the hump, why not?
It's not instead of 12 step meetings, a sponsor and working a program
or recovery. Its in addition to until I feel strong enough to do it on
my own. Does anyone have any feelings , or is anyone else on Suboxone.
Interested in your input. Thanks.
Serenity ( still trying to get there)
Old 09-30-2005, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, serenity. SR is a great place for support and wisdom. Pull up a chair, read some posts and keep reaching out, ok?

I am an opiate addict, too. Clean and sober for a year next month by the grace of god and the program of AA. And, yup, I was a chronic relapser. I was in and out of rehabs and the program for a year before I finally hit surrender.

Do you know why you've been relapsing? Is it physical, emotional, triggers, boredom, the F'ck its... ? Getting some insight into that will help you plan better.

I'm glad you're going to meetings. I went to meetings every day and got a sponsor right away and started working the steps. Becoming active in recovery was the biggest key for me. I immersed myself in it for a good, solid 6 months and I am still active.

On the issue of Suboxone, we have some members who are on it and are doing really well. Other people will tell you that you are not really clean if you are taking that drug, even though there are no mood altering effects. The bottom line is that you need to make a decision about what is best for you. I support your decision to go the Suboxone route because you state very clearly that you would be using it in addition to a 12 step program, not as a replacement for a program of recovery. That's the key, in my opinion.

This is not a game. This is a life and death disease. I support you in doing whatever it takes to stay clean and sober one day at a time.

hugs,

phinny
Old 10-01-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Come on over to the Substance Abuse Forum, there are several of us on Sub and doing well. You sound like you have a good grasp of what it takes to be on a sub program. It has to be just one tool in your recovery - like you said, used in addition to meetings, working the program, therapy, etc.

It is true that some members, both here and at NA will treat you like crap b/c you're on sub, but you have to get past that & decide to just say **** them & concentrate on recovery. I had a tough time with that, but, as many people have told me -it's none of my business what other people think about me

If you have questions about sub, or just want to read about others experiences, please come to SA & just ask and read. You'll get a better response there.

Much Love: SS