Notices

Looking for help

Old 09-07-2005, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for help

hello all ,
I am new at this and here lately I have been told I have PTSD. I am not sure what it is but I have found out that it really does effect my life. I am not sure how to handle it and what to think about it. I am not even sure what has caused it but I would like to talk to other people with this and hope that they can give me some advise and help me through this as best as they could
Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((BabyTRina)))

Welcome to SR. I would like to suggest you read the stickies posted about in this forum, they are helpful and insightful to PTSD. What we need to do is keep coming back to read replies to your posts and we can learn from others. I am sure there will be others along in a bit to give you more information.
I do want to Welcome you to SR, a wonderful place with caring, sensitive people to listen and help support you.
Please keep coming back. We are here for you.

Hugs
Wolfstarr
Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome BabyTrina to SR. Like wolfstarr said there is information post here. In fact if you scroll down to " Helpful Information About PTSD/ Historyteach" she has a site to check out. Not to know or understand is very normal for someone with PTSD. My experence has been to have unexplained fears,feelings and actions. Many times these are triggered by something that reminds us of an event. Now don't be worried if the event isn't clear. This is what we search for. We can't change the event but, we can change our perspective and how we deal with it. The source can be any traumatic event. There are misunderstandings. Some even feel only military people or war can cause it. However like in my case, I was in Vietnam and had some ptsd from that but, the greatest problems was from being sexually and physically abused as a child. However, surgery an accident any traumatic event can cause problems. Just like your body physicaly protects itself with anti bodies, our mind uses other defences. In order to protect itself, memory loss or the changing of our perspective of the event. More or less to try and understand something that has no understanding. If that makes sense, welcome to PTSD recovery, you've got it. Just remember, just like a physical injury a mental injury takes time. And sometimes during healing there is discomfort and pain. Sort of like PHysical Therapy. The best part is, YOU CAN GET BETTER. Don W
Old 09-08-2005, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the information. I was not sure what PTSD really was and now that I am trying to learn to deal with it, life seems so much different now that I know what my problem was. Thanks again I hope to talk to you again soon

Hugs
Katrina
Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've got a good attitude, keep it you'll need it for the ruff times. It will get better. You only have to go through therapy on way to recovery. Once we identify it and understand we can deal with it. dealing with the unknown is always difficult. Don W