Notices

effexor

Old 08-25-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to Love Myself

effexor

don't know if i spelled that right. that is what my therapist wants to put me on. does anyone know about it? i have major anxiety and she thinks it will help calm me down.
opinions or experience?

-Psycho
Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

I have a friend who swears by it. She said she never felt so normal in her life and nothing bothers her
now.
She has major anxiety as well and PTSD.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My friend is on it and it has helped him a very great deal. But he needs to get his CDL and he thinks he won't be able to get it taking this, so he is weaning himself off. I see trouble coming! Does anyone know if it would really prevent him from getting his CDL??
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've been on effexor for 7 years and I have no problems with it (I have a a genetic condition so I'll always need anti depressants since my brain is lacking in a few chemicals) I've tried many others but effexor which does 2 things in the brain has helped me to lead a near 'normal' life. My son is on it too and it seems to work for him. hope it's sucessful for you.

indigo

PS: I used to take xanax with it but my shrink changed me to Lexomil which beats xanax hands down for anxiety for me.
Sorry live but this Frenchie doesn't know what CDL is!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Commercial driver's license. For heavy equipment, big trucks etc. He is a lineman (guy who puts up and climbs utility poles and works with the elec).
The effexor has a label on it that says beware of driving with it, that is why he is scared.
Or does anyone know how long it take to clear out of your system, so that maybe he could take it up until the appropriate time when he takes the CDL tests, and blood or urine tests?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It shouldn't be an issue for a CDL license for blood or urine tests, live. IF he has been on it for awhile that side effect should be about gone. Although, my DIL takes it and has been sleepy on occasion. I see his concern.
Indie what is Lexomil?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

In France they would generally say no, but Ben took a really complicated 'telescopic' oh I don't know what, for when he is on a building job......he passed though I'm sure it's not okay with the courts.

I would think he should be able to funtion safely hell I rattle if you shake me on prescription drugs. good luck to him.

indigo
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to Love Myself

thanks everyone for the responses. i have always been afraid of medications, because i am afraid to not have my feelings, even though they make me miserable at the same time. that makes no sense im sorry. anyway, according to your responses, it sounds allright.

thanks.

-Psych
Old 08-26-2005, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thirty

Hey with regard to the guy looking to get his CDL. Have him Google FMCSR 392.4, this is the federal reg with regard to drugs that are phrohibited and what can be done under a docs care. Can also Google 49CFR199, more info on CDL regs.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My sister got her CDL Class B on a similar medication with the same warning. Since it did not interfere with her ability to pass the test, nor was in the drug screening she was fine.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Effexor is a wonderful drug and has helped me out quite a bit. As far as driving it has not impaired me in the least. I think that the label means that you should wait and see how the Effexor affects you before driving or using dangerous machines. I wish you luck and success with the effexor.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

My doctor put me on Effexor XR for SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder) and though I've only been taking it for two months, I can honestly feel the difference. I feel good! It's helping me adjust, feel more at ease, socialize, reduces a bit of anxiety (in fact, it helped me wean off my Xanax with ease). I'm very, very happy with this medication. My doctor started me on a very low dose and gradually upped it weekly until I reached the desired dosage. The first few days I felt a bit wired and fuzzy, then very thirsty, but it wore off quickly.

Good luck!