Notices

help

Old 08-14-2005, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

i am in desperate need of support. i have been using opiates very heavily over the past few months. i am a nurse and they are easily accessible. i changed departments to help control the urge...but i somehow am able to jusify why i need to do it just one more time. now....i know i need to stop before i lose my job. i have been taking approximately 8-10 percocet and 30-60 mg morphine daily. the last time was yesterday morning. i have been through withdrawal before...but never at this dose after this long of a period.
i can not risk going to an inpatient facility at this time. my physician is aware of my last detox...i am afraid to tell him about this time....i do not want to be turned in to the nursing board. i do not have direct patient care....i am in an administrative position.
please help lead me to someone who can assist with some support. i feel if i talk to someone daily this may help.
thanks
mam631
Old 08-14-2005, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hey I am glad that you are here I don't know too much about that stuff but I know that you can stay clean one day at a time here and by going to meetings. I have a friend here Kahlia, look in the member list and contact her I am sure that she could help you with what you are going threw right now OK

Love Vic
Old 08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Mam, can you please talk to your doc again and see what he suggests after to tell him??? please, do not replace one pill with another one...doctors try to do this without realizing that you can get hooked on stuff. I do not know anything on percocets or other pills but I have addicts in my family...what I can tell you is that since you know that you can lose your job and your mind over this....try to go get help !!! ...there is a number you can dial 2-1-1- and it your first call for help. Good luck!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Withdrawl from opiates is not easy (it sounds like you already know that). If you are determined to do it on your own, be careful. I kicked heroin cold turkey. It was very hard, but doable.

Drink alot of water, take tylenol, lots of hot baths and showers, sleep as much as you can (which probably won't be much) and eat small light bland meals often. (even if you feel like throwing up). And hang on. For me I was very sick for 3 days, then started to feel better about day 4. That's when I hit an NA meeting for help.

You are a nurse, so you probably know all of this stuff already, but it never hurts to have it re-inforced.

Hang out here and post, get to a meeting, call your local help-line to talk to someone.

If you decide to go inpatient, check out www.ncadd.org click on Affiliates. there used to be a map of the US where you click on the picture of your state for a list of resources in your state.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks, i have some of the things needed to help with withdrawal from my last time. i take trazadone for sleep when i can...it helps. i just want this time to be the final time. i have changed positions at work to keep me out of the mainstream...but i still manage to get into something. i know i need outpatient or even inpatient treatment...but i can not do that at this time.

thanks for your help
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check out NA meetings. There are a lot of healthcare workers (including myself) in the rooms. There used to be meetings for healthcare workers in recovery. There was one in my area years ago but I haven't been to one in a long time. Maybe you can get some info somewhere on that.