Notices

Question about pills

Old 08-06-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Question about pills

I have a guestion about pills.

A little background: My son is a drug addict and his drug of choice is pain pills, muscle relaxers and anti-anxiety....Xanac, Oxicotin, Loritab, etc. He also has used Meth, which he injected. He said he had even injected Oxicotin. This has been going on 6 years and he had has numerous Overdoes (with no vital signs) been in 3 rehaps and jail several times.

I know he will not quit until he decides to quit and I do not enable him. This morning when I was putting some things away I ran across some pill bottles. There was some Prozac, Prilosec and Toprol. They were in bottles with his name on the label but were not the medication named on the label. He has no conditions which call for any of these pills.

My question...are these drugs that an addict could use to get some type of "feeling?"

Thanks
Linda
Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Prozac, Prilosec and Toprol.
Prozac is an antidepressant

Prilosec- I believe is a sleep agent(I could be very wrong)

Toprol is for heart. I take Toprol because my heart rate is fast. When I got out of detox, my heart rate was speeding 160 beats per/min. and toprol slows that down. I was taking and doing the same things you mentioned your son is doing.
I wish you and your son all the luck in the world, I hope at some point he gets the desire to change his life. Have you tried Alonon or Naranon?

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information Todd. Yes I have went to the Alonon in my area but I wish there was a Naranon. I think that would be much more helpful.

Linda
Old 08-06-2005, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

prilosec is for gassy upset stomach....reflux
Old 08-06-2005, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

prilosec is used to treat chronic indigestion. I don't know of any reason this could be abused.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

some advice

well this is a tough one i can tell you this first hand. i am an addict of pills been clean for almost 6 months and it is still very hard. i was also on prozac for 5 years. all of the pain pills do about the same thing. some are stronger than others so if the weaker the pill the more you have to take or simply just use heroin. i am back on my prozac and feeling pretty good about my life, but you are right he will not stop until he is ready.. try to support him as much as possible, love him with all of your heart and hopefully he will realize that he is f*%#ing up his life and those around him. be strong and things will get better, they have too.

brian d. addict
Old 08-17-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Prilosec (actually, usually a similar drug like Prevacid, since Prilosec went OTC) is often given to people who are taking a lot of by mouth medications. These meds can cause an increase in acid in the stomach and the Prilosec/Prevacid works by shutting off some of the acid producers. So the acid is reduced. He could be taking it because his other pills are causing an increase in acid in his stomach.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

certain antacid medicines like tagamet and the such can be used to potentiate opiate absorbtion in the body by blocking certain liver enzymes. I'm not sure if prilosec falls into that catagory, also grapefruit juce does the same thing so be suspicious if he suddenly starts drinking it and eating tagamet.